ForumsGamesAG overrated...?

52 5695
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Is AG overrated? What makes it better then other sites? What makes it worse? Some people say this is the best site ever. Are they right? Killersup thought that it was overrated as the "best site ever."

• 52 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Subject is null because players are all biased here. You can't successfully determine the worth of a website by using a forum within that website...obviously if people are using the forum on said website, they are more inclined to like the website than not to, as logically, if they didn't like it they would use another website/forum.

You are correct to identify the bias in this discussion, but there appears to be user that doesn't like AG as much as the rest of us do.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

but there appears to be user that doesn't like AG as much as the rest of us do.

I don't ignore the flaws and I point out the hogwash.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Are they right? Killersup thought that it was overrated as the "best site ever."

Is it overrated he asks, it's overrated he says. Why I oughta just round house kick you so hard your account gets lost! I should just...... OVERRATED!?!??! MUST... CONTROL...SELF.....You have no idea how much self control it's taking to not round house kick your profile out of existence.

So yeah I'd say it's underrated if anything, but then again I'm completely biased and refuse to play from other websites.
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Armor Games is what I believe the best community for flash games.
But if you add other types of forums, AG will lose.

Addicting Games has mostly spam and bad games with an occasional good game they took from another site.
Kong has good games like us, but seems limited and the community is even more smaller than ours.
Those are some of the major flash games hosting websites, but AG is what I think the best.

But then, if you add other types of things into this other than flash games, AG will lose.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

seems limited

When you have chat rooms, achievements, art & sounds section, forums for just about everything, developer center, host contests, and other things that keep players interested, AG is the one that is limited.
the community is even more smaller than ours.

No, their community is three times+ larger than AG's. Right now they have about 60k users online. Not all of those use the forum, but if you browse the forum you'll see that they are much larger. Someone is going to make the argument about "quality vs quantity", but the communities aren't that different.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Subject is null because players are all biased here. You can't successfully determine the worth of a website by using a forum within that website...obviously if people are using the forum on said website, they are more inclined to like the website than not to, as logically, if they didn't like it they would use another website/forum.

/endrant

You've never talked to invaild777 then. He origianlly came up with this subject. It was Killersup's first ever forum post/argument/anything involving the community, and he was badly beaten :P However, he did say lots of things that were very true about what was wrong with AG.

Is it overrated he asks, it's overrated he says. Why I oughta just round house kick you so hard your account gets lost! I should just...... OVERRATED!?!??! MUST... CONTROL...SELF.....You have no idea how much self control it's taking to not round house kick your profile out of existence.

So yeah I'd say it's underrated if anything, but then again I'm completely biased and refuse to play from other websites.

*slaps you* MANLYMAN! You're on cocaine again! Calm...
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

NO I will not calm, it is this type of talk that lost us John!
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

NO I will not calm, it is this type of talk that lost us John!

***** shut the **** up.
*brutally beats you with a baseball bat*

This site isnt over-rated whatsoever. Now kong....
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Well I'm not sure about kong since I've rarely touched that site, but iddicing games is sure overrated from what I've heard. Kongregate allows spam and removes posts for no real reason. AG for the win!

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

And not to mention their caching issues are more severe than ours, and that's saying something!

It's weird how many sub-forums there are, there aren't any for just flash games but there's one for every MMO it seems and as you said it's hard to figure things out.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I don't get how fans work

Imagine everyone who friended you on AG now appears in a list, that's it. It was actually in the AG3 beta.
the top guy is top because he has 15,000 fans?

Nope, because he referred over 15k people to the site. If people sign up using the referral link you give them, you get points from it. If they get to certain levels, you get more points. AG actually used to have a referral system.
is there a difference between badges and achievements

Badges are achievements. You get the badge once you complete what it says.
the point system makes sense

The point system here is dumb. You only get rewarded for community participation, and it's easily abused. Their system makes much more sense, especially for a flash gaming site:
http://i.imgur.com/vdlnB.png

And it's not easily abused.
I can trust that if I came back in two years things probably won't look the same.

That's what people said two years ago, the only *major* change is the banner. AG probably won't look the same in two years, but I also doubt that they'd change it a lot. Just from everything that has (or rather hasn't) happened in the last two years, I don't have faith that they're going to follow through.
And not to mention their caching issues are more severe than ours, and that's saying something!

It's not, posts show up once you post and the forum index is always up to date. It's probably an issue with your browser.

A huge plus side to Kong is that they have little to no bugs/glitches, and if users report them they are dealt with within a few days to a week.
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

The only thing AG is best at is the forum section. Kong's is really sloppy and annoying, so I like AG for forums and Kong for everything else.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

That point system makes sense... The rating games limit of 50 makes sense. So spammers won't just rate all the games on the site in one day x)

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Why does it call it both?

Once you complete an achievement you get a badge that shows it, like on AG when you get a new rank it shows the hat.
Referrals?

Give someone a referral link, they sign up with it and you get points.
I'm talking about whether or not it's comprehensible.

It is. You just have to read the help page, just like on AG.
There was more than the banner.

Nothing major though. Fixing the online feature? Hardly worth mentioning, you just get a green circle when online. Bug fixes? Those are great and all, but it took them a year to do anything, even after users constantly telling them about the issues.
They are also a much bigger site (many more server-side developers, from what I can tell) and aren't working on a new site and how to implement the changes so that they won't majorly break the site.

AG has had two years to come up with AG3. If that isn't enough time to create the features and fix bugs, I don't know what they're doing with their work days.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Looking at the forums, they have one forum for walkthroughs, flash, and video games. And then they have individual forums for 50 different games. Looks like that section needs cleanup.

I wish out "corrupt a wish" thread was as big as theirs.

~~~Darth Caedus

Showing 31-45 of 52