ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArmor Games' Armatar Contest: 2012 Winter Edition!

299 102429
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8253540719_7b89c6b013_b_d.jpg

A good day I bid all ye artfull, creative and skillfull citizens of ArmorGames! =)

It's fair to say that the revival of the Armatar Contest was a big success, with lots of wonderful and original entries for the Thanksgiving season, but... we're aiming for more!!

So let's continue this old tradition and surpass the first edition with even more entries of your original drawings in the second launch: The 2012 Winter Edition!

Here are the guidelines that help you figure out what is allowed and what is not :

# ARMATAR CONTEST GUIDELINES :

1) All entries must be appropriate. They cannot be offensive or profane in nature. Keep it clean!
2) The entry must be square, and at least 100x100 pixels in dimension.
3) Your entry must scale down well to 100x100. So if it is larger, make sure that it will still look good when it is scaled down to the actual armatar size. Here are a few suggestions about this :
~ Sometimes keeping it simple is better. If you go into a lot of detail, it might not look as great when you scale it down. So just keep in mind what the final size will be and check often how it looks when it is scaled down.
And remember to save a lot while you are making it! Better to delete 20 -in between made- save files later on, than ending up with something you actually don't like...
~ If you are able to do vector, by all means! That can help with the sharpness of the image. However, since they are so small this probably isn't a big issue.
4) Must be completely original. You cannot use elements from other pieces of artwork, the entire armatar must be 100% created by you.
5) Must be fitting to the current contest's theme. If a certain entry is debatable, a mod or admin will give the decisive answer for submission.

Do note that we won't necessarily add all submissions... remember that all submissions will likely go up in batches preceding or during the actual season/holiday, and that they will eventually disappear from the Armatar roster as we approach the next theme.

We look forward to seeing your contributions, so pick up that pencil, start up your art programs, get your brain into overdrive and do your best to make 'em look good! =)

• 299 Replies
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

The Winter ones or the normal ones? The original ones were made by an artist who left long ago, so few know. :X

Well, since the original artist left long ago no use in querying about those. So how about the one that bobbpin's has. How was that made?

I'm trying to get a handle on how they're made so that if I enter one is will look sort of decent.

I heard some were vector based armatars so, I suppose that's Adobe Illustrator.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Admins can make anything their armatar. They do it to make us lesser folks jelly.

70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

@Bronze: "jelly"? did u mean "jealous" dude?
@MrDayCee: when will u and Ferret chosen the pics to make them into the seasonal Armatar?

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

hmm, i put Herc and Machamp to the snowball_fighting theme bcoz of their incredible strength lah XD

But basing the theme on their strength is kind of drifting away from the theme, no?
Anyhow - I'm not picking them so, really, my opinion is irrelevant.

@MrDayCee: when will u and Ferret chosen the pics to make them into the seasonal Armatar?

Triple 70, DayCee posted this on page 6.

we'll have to see when the first batch is ready for the picking. I will notify about it in this thread though, ok? =)
RedN
RedN
141 posts
Duke

My entry
This is the first time i try to include an image in a forum post so here's the link hope you like it:
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/503817437c18660a9b53a65a82ea6b92

RedN
RedN
141 posts
Duke

Not working,Just copy and paste the link (http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/503817437c18660a9b53a65a82ea6b92)

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

To post an image, you can press image and copy the image URL.

70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

@TheRed555: I saw ur pic, but how does it related to winter theme? 0_o

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Hold your hats ladies and gents...when I get time I plan on doing a Kwanza themed armatar

p.s. What is with the lack of Hanukkah themed armatars?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The Jewish people on this site are inactive and haven't been on here for at least six months, that's why.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

@TheRed555

What exactly does your armatar have to do with winter? It's just an eye with the letters "J" and "T" next to it xD

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Back.
And with my improved snowman.
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/29/df0959080b1947fba4abe4b.png

Better? I added two snowbanks and arms

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

@GhostOfHorror: could you believe that I hadn't noticed that my cupcake tree was slightly tilted until I read your post? Oh, I need a new glasses...

@xXxDAPRO89xXx: it definitely looks better. I'd try to make the snowflakes a little more rounded, especially the ones on the left arm of the snowman. They look like lines, but maybe it wouldn't be noticeable at the armatar size.

I've drawn another not so typical Christmas tree. I'm afraid that maybe the details won't be discernible at a smaller size, but right now it doesn't look too bad.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q550/kegaumongo/ArbreNadal2100x100_zps9dce9b74.jpg

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

They look like lines, but maybe it wouldn't be noticeable at the armatar size.

Hmmm... I can hardly see it now. And having it shrunk down i think will do the trick ^^ Thanks for the critique anyway ^^
I'm afraid that maybe the details won't be discernible at a smaller size, but right now it doesn't look too bad.

It looks great right now xD
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

@Dappro

Background is improved, the arms look a bit bleh, though.

@Kega

The tree looks good.
Do more?

Showing 91-105 of 299