ForumsWEPRGun control in the US

1089 400545
theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
807 posts
Farmer

Discuss. General Tavern rules apply. (No mudslinging, be respectful, etc.)
I'll open with the statement that people should not have guns. No one at all, except the armed forces, and even then, keep the guns on the bases. Cops should carry riot shields and armor instead of guns. If they need crowd control, use Water Cannons.
Supporting evidence: the following skit:
What's your reason?
Setting: A gun shop, modern day.
A Customer walks into the gun shop and asks the Shopkeeper, "Hi, i'd like to buy a gun please."
The Shopkeeper pulls out an application form and asks the customer "Alright, what's your reason for wanting to buy a gun?"
The Customer says "I need one for personal protection."
The Shopkeeper nods. "I have just the thing for you, I guarantee you cannot get any more personal protection than this baby right here. What i'm about to show you offers so much protection, it can stop a shotgun shell."
The customer, very interested, stares at a full-size Riot Shield, the kind the police use. He scoffs. "That's not what I want, I want a gun!"
The Shopkeeper shrugs. "Are you sure? This fine piece of equipment will protect you more than a gun ever will! It's very strong, reinforced titanium and kevlar..." by now, the angry Customer has left.
Later, another Customer enters. "Hi, I need a gun."
Again, the Shopkeeper clicks his pen and pulls out an application form. "For what reason?" he asks.
The Customer hesitates, than says "Hunting."
The shopkeeper smiles. "Of course! I love to hunt. Hunting is a wonderful sport. I guarantee that this item will give you the maximum amount of satisfaction you can ever get from hunting! Here, this is the sport at its peak." And he pulls out a Crossbow, complete with crosshairs for better accuracy.
The customer shakes his head. "No, I want a gun." he states.
The shopkeeper reluctantly puts away the Crossbow. "Are you sure? With a gun, it's so...boring, just pulling a trigger. And it's unfair to the animal, with this you give the deer a chance and have to chase it for up to an hour, just like the Native Americans did back in the day! Unless of course..." He fails to finish his sentence, as the pissed off customer has left in a huff.
Later, a third customer walks in. "Hi, I'd like to buy a gun." he says.
The shopkeeper holds his pen at the ready. "For what reason, sir?" he asks.
The customer glares. "I dont need a reason, read the god **** second amendment "THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS." It's in the constitution you idiot!
The shopkeeper merely smiles. "Of course, I have the perfect thing for you. This gun is covered under Second Amendment laws, guaranteed!" And he holds up a 200-year-old, civil-war-era musket, complete with rusty bayonet.
The customer shrieks. "No, man! I want a Glock, a shotgun, something better than that civil war crap!"
The shopkeeper merely smiles. "I'm sorry sir, please come back when they update the second amendment to include those types of guns. Here, i'll even give you a discount..." the shopkeeper holds out a discount to the enraged customer, who tears it in half and leaves.
Fourthly, another Customer walks in. "I really need a gun, now." He says.
The Shopkeeper holds his pen and application form ready. "For what reason, sir?" he asks.
Instead of stating his reason this time, the Customer snatches the application form and looks at it. There, in the spot titled "Reasons" is a circle for "other".
"Other! That's my reason!" the Customer declares triumphantly.
The shopkeeper shrugs. "Very good answer sir." he says, while pressing a button under the counter. Two cops arrive at the shop in less than a minute and cuff the Customer.
"Hey! What the *PROFANITY* ARE YOU *PROFANITY* GUYS DOING? I'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG!" He yells, almost breaking the glass of the windows.
"Actually, you have." The Shopkeeper begins. "the "other" reason, by exclusion of the other reason, can only include wanting to kill or rob someone. Therefore, you were thinking about commiting a crime when you selected "Other" as your reason. Caught you red-handed, trying to buy the tools necessary to commiting a crime. You confessed to it when you selected "Other"! Take him downtown, please." The cops nod and take the Customer away. The last thing he hears from the Shopkeeper is "Oh, and I knew it was you all those times!"

Moral of the story: You do NOT need a gun for a particular activity. In any given activity (And I challenge you to give me a valid, legal activity for which you would need to personally own a gun), there are many other options. Why buy a gun for personal protection when a Riot Shield blocks shotgun shells? Why buy a gun for hunting when the point of hunting (and every other sport) is satisfaction, and since you get more satisfaction with more challenge, and since a crossbow offers more challenge than a gun, you'll get more satisfaction with the crossbow. Why buy a gun based on the Second Amendment when the Colonial-age guns were either giant cannons or black-powder, muzzle-loading Muskets? Did the Founding Fathers have AR-15's, and SPAZ-12 shotguns,And AK 47s, not to mention all the accessories like laser scopes and hollow-point bullets? I dont think so!

The only way you can disprove my argument is to give me a valid, LEGAL activity which requires you to personally own a gun. This excludes Skeet-shooting, because the facility can and should/will provide the gun. Until anyone can do that, YOU DONT NEED A GUN, NO ONE NEEDS GUNS! They're WAY too dangerous and make it too easy to kill someone! Why have something you dont need?

• 1,089 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Got a source or are you guessing?

as far as a police tv show is going....
we dont get only the action tapes, in the dutch program they go deeper in the work of the police and often tell such facts. if i want a source for that then i need some digging but i'm pretty sure it's out there. or else they wouldn't have used it in that show. (show by the state. not a private channel)

Perhaps it's not just a robbery and they want you dead.

if they want you dead, do you think they give you time to shoot them befor they shoot you? especially when it's very likely you have a gun? nha they open the door and pull the trigger.

anyway i c you guys rather play a hero and risk your life. so be it... i guess it got so far down the drain that it's a must now for you.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

do you think they give you time to shoot them befor they shoot you?

Do you think it takes more time for a person who is readily aiming a weapon at an opening door to pull a trigger than someone who has no idea of the layout of the room?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Do you think it takes more time for a person who is readily aiming a weapon at an opening door to pull a trigger than someone who has no idea of the layout of the room?

In this case the house owner has the advantage, but don't forget this is just the ideal case.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

do you lie in bed every night aiming at the door ready to shoot as soon some1 pops his head inside?

that sounds very paranoid to me...
no wonder people sometimes kill their own family when they think it is a burglar...
wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

do you lie in bed every night aiming at the door ready to shoot as soon some1 pops his head inside?
[quote]

That's not what he meant, and you know it.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

That's not what he meant, and you know it.

like he didn't take my sentence out of context. haha xD
benman113
benman113
329 posts
Peasant

I agree. And if gun control is taken to the max, you know who's going to still find and own guns? The bad people. Sure a riot shield is a great thought. Until there are two of them in your home. And how are you supposed to defend the rest of your family or loved ones? Or they come up and use the shield against you. And how is a crossbow different than a gun? You can still kill people with it, very effectively.

A crossbow is not semi automatic, and it does not have the stopping power or range that a rifle does. When you refer to bad people I think you mean criminals I honestly don't fear criminals breaking into my house I fear governments. I would only ever use my weapon if there was a dire need to defend myself from a government be it mine or an invading force. I view the second amendment as something that was put in place to make sure the people have the power to revolt if their government ever becomes too authoritarian, so I imagine having to fight soldiers in that case and I definitely don't want to do that with a crossbow.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I view the second amendment as something that was put in place to make sure the people have the power to revolt if their government ever becomes too authoritarian, so I imagine having to fight soldiers in that case and I definitely don't want to do that with a crossbow.

Crossbow, pistol, rifle, whatever you have, do you really think you can oppose the military (an organized structure of trained, well-equipped soldiers) with it?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I view the second amendment as something that was put in place to make sure the people have the power to revolt if their government ever becomes too authoritarian,

After WWI, it's a bit late for that. And with all the succession plans in place, it's just about impossible to slay the hydra.

Crossbow, pistol, rifle, whatever you have, do you really think you can oppose the military (an organized structure of trained, well-equipped soldiers) with it?

Agreed. The most that ordinary people could do is watch their Molotovs and bullets bounce off an Abrams.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I thought I would bring this.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/25/suspected-3d-printer-gun-found-manchester
Remember those idiots who shared plans to build a 3D gun on the Internet?
There you have it!

wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

I thought I would bring this.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013 ⦠manchester
Remember those idiots who shared plans to build a 3D gun on the Internet?
There you have it!

Oh god why did you revive this thread? It's been proven time and time again in this thread that we can't get rid of guns now.

Officers found what were thought to be a plastic magazine and trigger which could be fitted together to make a viable gun. They said the haul also included a quantity of gunpowder.

There have been suggestions on some websites that the parts were not gun components but printer parts â" a spool holder and a drive block. Police said they were still concerned about the finding because they suspected the parts may have other uses.

Also, it has not been proven that those are gun parts yet. They THINK they are gun parts, but the forensic examiners are still looking at them.
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Ohhh..Ehhhh....GUNS!!!!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Oh god why did you revive this thread? It's been proven time and time again in this thread that we can't get rid of guns now.

What are you scared someone might try to take away your arsenal? :O
wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

What are you scared someone might try to take away your arsenal? :O

Are you cared that the big bad republicans are going to destroy everything? Because it seems like you talk about them like they are Hitler.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I will take advantage of this revived thread, before it is killed again, to post this interesting study done in my country:

Change in Suicide Rates in Switzerland Before and After Firearm Restriction Resulting From the 2003 âArmy XXIâ Reform

It isn't about homicides, it is about suicides. And in this case, gun availability does have an effect. To what extent this finding can be applied to the homicide debate, I don't know; but maybe someone would like to discuss this?

Showing 841-855 of 1089