ForumsWEPRIs it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

364 121036
shortstopkid123
shortstopkid123
20 posts
Nomad

Many parents argue about schools teaching evolution. Creationalists do not support or believe in the theory of evolution. It goes against their beliefs. They do not believe it should be taught because it apposes many peoples' beliefs. Do you think that it should be taught?

Notes:
Lets try not point out certain religions. I am saying creationalists for a reason.

• 364 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

This is nice and all, but we're really off topic.

KnightDeclan, what are your reasons against evolution being taught in schools? That you do not believe it proven? Because we have given you evidence for it.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Hey KnightDeclan, you seem to be having a rough time. That's okay, it's good for you to have your beliefs challenged. You don't know me, but I'm an old foggie and I know what's up to some degree. It's good for you to participate in these kind of talks.

Unlike many people here, I don't hate religion and actually respect your beliefs, rather than claiming I do and then attacking them no matter how off-topic the attack. Obviously we don't agree on every point, but I think this place will temper your views on many matters. You seem like a cool enough guy.

Did you know the Catholic church (i.e. the pope) more or less supports the theory of evolution? Cool huh?

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Did you know the Catholic church (i.e. the pope) more or less supports the theory of evolution? Cool huh?

Not his beliefs. He think that the last few popes aren't real popes.

I don't hate religion and actually respect your beliefs, rather than claiming I do and then attacking them

I respect people, not absurd ideas. I don't hate religious people, but I greatly dislike religion in general. It adds nothing good to the world, and a lot of bad.

It's good for you to participate in these kind of talks.

Yes, and we've already seen improvement. You no longer insult us at every turn and you're participating in a discussion now, instead of only regurgitating teachings.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

actually respect your beliefs

You haven't heard all of his beliefs..have you?
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

The problem with the world is that they don't see the beauty of God's love to share His power with us

out of curiosity, do you know how to do the quote function? it would make your "arguments" easier to get through. your god is so appealing to yourself because it is manifestation that your mind has created. in a way, he is you, which is why you find it so easy to agree with him. this character of yours isn't the same as another believers, but it is close enough that you won't cause any major disagreements with those of your faith.

I may have insulted you, but i didn't mock your beliefs.

unimportant. you insulted these wonderful people because they don't share your beliefs. it's the same as a fight-or-flight response, only on a smaller scale.

now for evolution in school: absolutely we should. school is a secular place of learning (not including private schools). for science to be ignored to spread the message of a religion (i.e. not secular at all), then school is nothing more than a church with a math class. to ignore what was written in the first amendment is to bring ruin upon the very same government foundation that kept us afloat through the civil war, WWI, WWII, and so much more. we owe it to not only ourselves, but our very species itself, to become smarter.

in fact, if we really wanted to, we could pick up space travel and have it down within a matter of decades, or even find a way to feed the earth and end disease, but only if we remove the prejudices, superstitions, and foolish notions that have kept us grounded for so long.

that is why I support evolution in school.

-Blade
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Instead, isn't it so much more astounding to realize it all evolved on itself, that simply by following natural laws such beauty could emerge? Isn't the brain such a marvellous organ when you realize that it is not just a stupid relay station between body and soul, but actually it is you? It is your very consciousness? And all that happened naturally, without design. To me, that is the true beauty behind nature. It's almost poetry.

in fact, if we really wanted to, we could pick up space travel and have it down within a matter of decades, or even find a way to feed the earth and end disease, but only if we remove the prejudices, superstitions, and foolish notions that have kept us grounded for so long.

Most of the time when I post in these things, I'm not well informed on both sides but I'm just giving my opinion. However I like to think I have some idea about what's going on in this thread, and I fully support these statements that I've quoted.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

To me, the world around me is proof of God. The beauty in nature and the high intelligence of man.

What is it about these things that can be observed and independently come to the conclusion that your God exists?

Also just pointing out the beauty in nature discount all the ugliness that's in it as well?
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Ok, really, who cares?
This is one of those issues that gets blown out of the water and leads to endless finger-pointing and crap.
Im fine with it being taught in the right way. In my school, the teacher makes it very clear that you do not have to accept the ideas of evolution due to religion or whatever. But I mean, its not bad to learn it even if you dont agree with it. Its like me (catholic) learning about Judaism in history or things like that. No big deal. I dont really plan on becoming jewish, but things like this are go to know.
So yeah. As long as the teacher doesnt force it on us, its fine.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Ok, really, who cares?
This is one of those issues that gets blown out of the water and leads to endless finger-pointing and crap.
Im fine with it being taught in the right way. In my school, the teacher makes it very clear that you do not have to accept the ideas of evolution due to religion or whatever. But I mean, its not bad to learn it even if you dont agree with it. Its like me (catholic) learning about Judaism in history or things like that. No big deal. I dont really plan on becoming jewish, but things like this are go to know.
So yeah. As long as the teacher doesnt force it on us, its fine.

Because evangelical Christian, or certain denominations of them believe wholly and literally in the Bible. Teaching anything else is heretic, abortive and reviling.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Because evangelical Christian, or certain denominations of them believe wholly and literally in the Bible. Teaching anything else is heretic, abortive and reviling.

Yeah... We like to ignore them.
I find it funny how the tables have turned since the birth of the religion in Rome. Anyways, the Church isnt in charge of all schools. Their opinion is just another opinion, and should not cause such a fuss. They give us all bad reps :/
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I find it funny how the tables have turned since the birth of the religion in Rome. Anyways, the Church isnt in charge of all schools. Their opinion is just another opinion, and should not cause such a fuss. They give us all bad reps :/

I'd agree with you, except for the fact that their opinion is responsible for abstinence based sex ed, oppression of homosexual rights, multiple movements to force prayer back in public schools, even more movements to remove evolution from american science classes, heavy distrust of scientists, and general prejudice towards people who aren't the same as them. christianity may hold the majority vote, but sometimes the majority is just plain wrong.

-Blade
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Of course it would be wrong to strive for an international flame war between creationists and the rest, but the debate is important 1) to show that creationists are not harmless and do have an influence, and 2) to show how education is important and make everyone understand that evolution is not some freaky wild guess, but reality.

Oh, and it is most important to avoid dangerous inanities like this freaking crap here.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Unfortunately there are people of influence in areas where they can make major impacts in the countries education system. These people constantly try to inject their religion into the school's textbooks. That's why it matters.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Thought you guys would be interested in this talk by Eugenie Scott.
Creationism du jour

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Oh, and it is most important to avoid dangerous inanities like this freaking crap here.

Everyone involved in that theme park should be arrested since they're breaking the 1st amendment. They should be stripped of their position and thrown in jail, fined, and profited from obtaining any government job.
Showing 316-330 of 364