Forums

ForumsForum Games

Riddles

Posted Jan 18, '13 at 8:33pm

thaboss

thaboss

1,667 posts

So, there was a thread on here a while back dedicated to riddles. Thaboss hasn't seen any new thread recently, so he's decided to start his own. Feel free to post and respond to any riddles.

Here's a classic one.

Bob hates his job. One day, while Bob is working on the 34th floor of an office building, he decides he's fed up with it. He rips open a window, and jumps through it. Although Bob is on the 34th floor, and there was nothing to stop, slow down, or cushion his fall, when he landed, he was perfectly fine. How?

Posted Jan 18, '13 at 9:45pm

BlazingZelda

BlazingZelda

884 posts

Each floor isn't very thick. you said nothing about space between the floors so i'm guessing a floor is just a floor without anything else. so its a small drop. am i right?

Posted Jan 18, '13 at 9:50pm

leo99rules

leo99rules

2,844 posts

There was possibly a balcony on the 33rd/34th floor that stopped him.

Posted Jan 18, '13 at 10:24pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,317 posts

It's simpler than that. Even simpler than the balcony because there was nothing to "stop his fall." It's a basic play on words. The solution is going to be painfully basic.

I'm guessing his job title was significant. Two good guesses are that he was an architect (working on a drawing of the 34th floor, so he could be on ground level) or a firefighter in a collapsed building (the 34th floor is on ground level).

Posted Jan 18, '13 at 11:17pm

ninjanick

ninjanick

180 posts

did he jump onto a nieghboring building?

Posted Jan 19, '13 at 9:32pm

BlazingZelda

BlazingZelda

884 posts

Remember nothing to stop him except the ground so he can jump into another building or a balcony. I really just think that he was really close to the ground some how.

Posted Jan 19, '13 at 9:35pm

BlazingZelda

BlazingZelda

884 posts

EDIT: Remember nothing to stop him except the ground so he can't jump into another building or a balcony. I really just think that he was really close to the ground some how.

AG really needs edit button...

Posted Jan 20, '13 at 10:27am

thaboss

thaboss

1,667 posts

He was not close to the ground. Your reasoning of his job title being important is correct.

Posted Jan 20, '13 at 10:29am

thaboss

thaboss

1,667 posts

Sorry for the DP.. There were no balconies, he didn't jump to a different building, and it's a full sized office building with floors with space between them. Again, the job title is important.

Posted Jan 20, '13 at 1:27pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,317 posts

Aha! I have it.

The genius of these riddles is the wording. It is written in a way that very obvious loopholes can be formed to explain the solution. In this case, "Bob is working on the 34th floor of an office building." It doesn't say he's actually in the room!

Bob was a window-washer. He jumped off a suspended platform, from the OUTSIDE of the 34th floor, onto the carpet of the office.

Reply to Riddles

You must be logged in to post a reply!