93 posts
Nomad

I would just like to know everyone thoughts on Mormonism

• 132 Replies
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

Science (the methodology) wasn't created by God. It's a process we developed through philosophy. Some would argue that science is still a form of philosophy, though I would say it's developed to be something more.

Yes but everything is created by God.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

^indoctrination.

Blair, as long as your mind is closed like this, the only way you can truly gain intellect, and learn how the world works, is by going beyond your mental boundaries.

I hate having to say this, but I'm going to use persuasion now. This is the actual story of my life before I deconverted.

I want you to know that before I dropped the useless appendage that is religion, I was a one of the only Mormons at my school (I'm betting you're one of those Utah Mormons where all but about 10 students of your school are members). I was one of only 4: me, my brother (who became a nihilist), a friend from my childhood (a jack Mormon), and his little brother. I was picked on for my beliefs, and baited to fight (I'm a pacifist by nature. Add Mormon to that and I won the different boy jackpot). I held to my beliefs for 2.5 years, even after my brother fell away. I endured every insult you could think of from the upperclassmen of my tennis team every day for the entire time. I did nothing to them, and I begged them sometimes to leave me be. Desperate, I prayed for solace. I endured for years, and prayed for acceptance. I slowly grew dead inside hoping for a way to escape because the bible said The Lord would help me be able to bear it (1st Corinthians 10:13). I still fought to the very end, but one day I was on my bed having one of my normal breakdowns, when I said to myself, "no kind god would ever let one of their faithful suffer like this". This made me realize that god isn't kind, which made me wonder what else I was lied to about. I searched parts of the bible, and found multiple inconsistencies. The god of the Old Testament was (according to my former beliefs) devoted to justice. There were no acts of justice in the Old Testament, but there were multiple acts of brutal destruction, and exploitation. It made me angry to read about how god justified his own actions. This eventually made me realize that my religion is wrong, and maybe all of Christianity as well. In my rage, I cursed my beliefs, and felt a weight fall off that I had never felt before. I looked at these forums, and saw atheism, and how they don't believe in a deity. I was fascinated, and started reading about evolution, science, logic, and even bits on anthropology. I saw how there has always been different gods for different times, and it made me realize that none of these gods could've possibly existed, including my own. I became an atheist, and a very angry one at that. In the beginning, I did everything I could to deconvert the people around me, and I even did end up doing so to one of them (I gave him the final push, and he is now one of my best friends). I even went to a bible study group that the diehard Christians go to every Friday after school, and laughed about their beliefs out loud (which sparked a pretty heavy debate after the session that left one of them speechless, and another shaken. Believe it or not, I'm friends with him now).

I leveled out, and came to terms with myself. After I did, I found it easier to talk to people around me, and my life has taken a turn for the better since. The point is that my prayers were never answered, so I had to rely on my own strength, which only made me stronger.

-Blade

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

*Allah
*Adroa
*Ahone
*Amotken
etc.

There were no acts of justice in the Old Testament, but there were multiple acts of brutal destruction, and exploitation.

Not to mention the NT's glorification of faithful terrorists.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

So does that mean God created the sentence I'm replying to right now? Did God create this website we are conversing on? Are all the thoughts of God not existing in my head created by God?
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

Well god created the person who created this website

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

What part of sexual intercourse, fertilization of the ovum, division of cells and fetal growth does God have a part of? We know what happens step by step and "God" is not one of those steps. Why should we believe that God is there when we have absolutely no reason to?
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

What part of sexual intercourse, fertilization of the ovum, division of cells and fetal growth does God have a part of? We know what happens step by step and "God" is not one of those steps. Why should we believe that God is there when we have absolutely no reason to?

Well, obviously the magical space faeries have something to do with it!
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

But did God create this website? Did God make the thoughts of God not existing? If not God didn't create everything.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

you haven't paid attention to a single word I've said, haven't you? it's like your indoctrination is litterally blocking my posts from being seen by you.

if god created everything, which includes hermaphrodites, retards, and autism, then I'm not impressed. this evidence is better used as a way to prove god's nonexistience.

-Blade
Vendablebow
Vendablebow
30 posts
Nomad

Sorry to OP here, but I take Mormonism about as seriously as I do scientology lol

Vendablebow
Vendablebow
30 posts
Nomad

But did God create this website? Did God make the thoughts of God not existing? If not God didn't create everything.

God created everything in the physical world, including you. Your thoughts however are yours, and yours alone. You know, free will. Otherwise, what would be the point of a God if you didn't have a choice in the matter to believe or not believe.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

God created everything in the physical world, including you. Your thoughts however are yours, and yours alone.

Yet thoughts are caused and interpreted by the physical structures in the brain. Unless you can demonstrate a seperate location for thoughts, your point is moot.
Vendablebow
Vendablebow
30 posts
Nomad

Yet thoughts are caused and interpreted by the physical structures in the brain. Unless you can demonstrate a seperate location for thoughts, your point is moot.

I'll pull a point from the book of Atheism an tell you to prove it.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Take a biology course. It helps when arguing about facts on biology. Or even a psychology course, in this case.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

God created everything in the physical world, including you. Your thoughts however are yours, and yours alone.

So God created my computer?

"When people see pictures of the brain it is usually the cerebrum that they notice. The cerebrum sits at the topmost part of the brain and is the source of intellectual activities. It holds your memories, allows you to plan, enables you to imagine and think."

"The executive function control centers develop in the prefrontal cortex (PFC). The PFC gives us the potential to consider and voluntarily control our thinking, emotional responses, and behavior. It is the reflective "higher brain" compared to the reactive "lower brain"."

Brain Basics: Know Your Brain
How Your Brain Works
Understanding How the Brain Thinks
Showing 76-90 of 132