ForumsGamesPlayStation 4

56 10754
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Did anyone get to watch the announcement of the PlayStation 4 by Sony on February 20 (today)?

I did, and all I have to say is that it looks like a good console. I think it has potential, but the only thing that needs fixing is the controller. It looks retarded compared to the older DualShock models.

All comments are welcome, but not flame wars. If you start a flame war, then you have no soul. I'm kidding about the soul part, but seriously, NO FLAME WARS!

PS: Another thing that sucked about the announcement was the fact that the PS4 itself wasn't even shown at all. Guess we'll have to wait til PAX East or GDC 2013.

• 56 Replies
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Killersup would buy it right off the shelf, it the starting prices were not always so high. It will be at-least be two years before the price comes down enough that Killersup will be able to buy it.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

To be honest I'm not so sure if this one is as amazing as the ps3 was at its time. And it is the first ps to not have a new sort of disc, although they upgraded to bluray reader to make it 3 times better.

Also they haven't really announced much info on the specs. Al they said was that it will have a AMD Radeon GPU with 8 gig of GDDR5. Also it will contain a AMD octacore processor based on the x86-64 Jaguar technology (I don't even know what this is). And it will have USB 3.0.

But I'm not really sure if this is enough for another 10 years. Although compared to what we have the pc ports will get better the next years.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Playstation said that they have no really even pushed the ps3 yet in the terms of gaming, but why would they wait so long into the ps3's life to bring out "better" games??

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

at the launch of this generation sony and microsoft said that this generation would have a lifespan of 10 year. in 2011 they said they still believe in the 10 year lifespan of this generation consoles. so we dont have to expect a new generation untill 2015.

neither of these companies want to release their console way befor the other.
if they do then they will lose the battle because the competition because the other will be more advanced then the 1st.

also are they not going to give info yet about the next generation because that will show the competition what they have and so they can get over it.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

Partydevil I know that you are Dutch so to to gamer.nl
Ps4 is announced by Sony and the first official details are announced.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

Yeah, they had this huge event yesterday. Diablo III was announced for the PS4. Here's your free crappy game, PS4.

The controller fixed the R2 buttons, they are inverted now. Man, they are really pushing the whole social network thing with this. A share button right in the middle. I'm pretty sure that black box that is also in the middle is a touch screen. Not sure what use it will have. By the way, PS4 will not be able to play PS2 or PS3 discs. Also, it looks like they are getting really desperate to get some Vita sales, because the Vita can be used as a controller for the new console.

The event was cool and all, but it would have been nice to see the actual console....

We'll probably see a bunch of extra information during E3, probably right next to a new Xbox announcement.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

The event was cool and all, but it would have been nice to see the actual console....

I think the reason you only saw the controller is that the console isn't finished.
On the conference the Sony guy said that the specs still may change over time.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

console isn't finished.

The console itself is probably done completely, hardware wise. The design might not be.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Man, they are really pushing the whole social network thing with this. A share button right in the middle. I'm pretty sure that black box that is also in the middle is a touch screen. Not sure what use it will have. By the way, PS4 will not be able to play PS2 or PS3 discs

Aaaannnnnddd I'm out. I mean really..why do they need the social media? I want the console for the games..and as a commenter said in the Yahoo! article (with a lil tweaking)...I want a console that if I took it to a cabin in the middle of the woods (with no internet connection) I would still be able to play my games

As for the not being able to play the past discs..why even do that?? Frankly, it is just a middle finger to people that have them. "You really like this game? Well..better keep the console for it because the next one..no ****ing way!"
Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

As for the not being able to play the past discs..why even do that?? Frankly, it is just a middle finger to people that have them. "You really like this game? Well..better keep the console for it because the next one..no ****ing way!"

Please tell me that you at least know WHY they can't...

It's the difference in actual tech. They ditched The Cell Architecture from 3 for the X86 in 4. This essentially means that the tech they're using between the two is too different for emulation.

Now you're probably asking WHY they did that, right?
So it can play games better.
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Aaaannnnnddd I'm out. I mean really..why do they need the social media? I want the console for the games..and as a commenter said in the Yahoo! article (with a lil tweaking)...I want a console that if I took it to a cabin in the middle of the woods (with no internet connection) I would still be able to play my games

Clearing a few things up here. Games work without internet (That was just a rumor). There is still used games*.

Well..better keep the console for it

If you have past games already, just go play them on that console. Why do they need to spend $100 each console on old software? $100 can literally halve sales, and the PS4 price is probably going to be high enough.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to keep my consoles. I can see your problem though.

*However, I think something shady is going on. They said you can still play used games but I think they're putting in some price that you have to pay once you put it in.

As for more social media, they didn't really say the share button was social media. It is basically the ability to hand your game off to a friend on say, a particularly hard mission and let him show you how to do it (In real time). Social media wasn't even mentioned. I think that this feature looks kind of boring at first, but once we see what developers can do with it, we will begin to see the capabilities.

Also, it looks like they are getting really desperate to get some Vita sales, because the Vita can be used as a controller for the new console.

I agree. I was even thinking of getting one, just need some really good games to come out for it. So far, I'm not convinced.

Now you're probably asking WHY they did that, right?
So it can play games better.

Basically, what happened last year is that Xbox had a standard tech and PS3 came up with this new cell thing. What ended up happening was that this severely affected the programmiongx it would take to port games over, but games made exclusively for PS3 would look a little bit better than exclusive Xbox. Now, both systems are very similar and the PS3 port of the game (Or maybe the Xbox will become the ported to system...) will function much better than previous years. This will save a lot of money from companies having to put extra people into the Playstation version, just because the programming was different.

The console itself is probably done completely, hardware wise. The design might not be.

I don't see why people care so much about what it looks like anyway. In my current setup, you can't even see my Xbox or the wires.

But I'm not really sure if this is enough for another 10 years. Although compared to what we have the pc ports will get better the next years.

You realise the previous consoles had about 500mb of RAM, right? Also, you have to just double the RAM they say because (usually) at least 3/4 of it is all into the gaming part. While as a PC needs to use the other bits of RAM.

x86-64 Jaguar technology

It's a decent regular computer. (Compared to the cell engine thing). It looks alright from what I've seen.

It looks retarded compared to the older DualShock models.

I don't mind it, looks comfortable.

_______

Also, in case you guys were wondering. Yes I'm probably going to get a PS4. The absolute BS that Xbox did with their gold membership really made me angry and PS+ is offering free games just for signing up.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

The absolute BS that Xbox

When did the gold membership thing come out? Killersup just started getting interested between the PS3 and Xbox so he doesn't exactly know...
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

There was always gold membership. The thing is, PS3 offered all that Xbox offered for free and the subscription service was much better. (In my opinion). Xbox just kept the gold membership the same even after PS+ became way better.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Oh pang. Welcome to the gaming world.
Really, if you dont make a psn account, they you dont share anything. You wont be connected to the internet. You wont have social media. Nothing. You dont need it to play the games, its just nice to have for co-op or whatever you feel.
I don't mind it, looks comfortable.

Agreed. It looks nice. The plastic looks different and more rubbery, which would be cool.
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

There was always gold membership. The thing is, PS3 offered all that Xbox offered for free and the subscription service was much better. (In my opinion). Xbox just kept the gold membership the same even after PS+ became way better.

Ps4 will get a online subscription to similar to Xbox gold.
Showing 1-15 of 56