Forums

ForumsVideo Games

PlayStation 4

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 4:51am

Vagueshade

Vagueshade

84 posts

As for the not being able to play the past discs..why even do that?? Frankly, it is just a middle finger to people that have them. "You really like this game? Well..better keep the console for it because the next one..no ****ing way!"

Please tell me that you at least know WHY they can't...

It's the difference in actual tech. They ditched The Cell Architecture from 3 for the X86 in 4. This essentially means that the tech they're using between the two is too different for emulation.

Now you're probably asking WHY they did that, right?
So it can play games better.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 6:01am

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

531 posts

Aaaannnnnddd I'm out. I mean really..why do they need the social media? I want the console for the games..and as a commenter said in the Yahoo! article (with a lil tweaking)...I want a console that if I took it to a cabin in the middle of the woods (with no internet connection) I would still be able to play my games

As for the not being able to play the past discs..why even do that?? Frankly, it is just a middle finger to people that have them. "You really like this game? Well..better keep the console for it because the next one..no ****ing way!"

Clearing a few things up here. Games work without internet (That was just a rumor). There is still used games*.

Well..better keep the console for it

If you have past games already, just go play them on that console. Why do they need to spend $100 each console on old software? $100 can literally halve sales, and the PS4 price is probably going to be high enough.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to keep my consoles. I can see your problem though.

*However, I think something shady is going on. They said you can still play used games but I think they're putting in some price that you have to pay once you put it in.

As for more social media, they didn't really say the share button was social media. It is basically the ability to hand your game off to a friend on say, a particularly hard mission and let him show you how to do it (In real time). Social media wasn't even mentioned. I think that this feature looks kind of boring at first, but once we see what developers can do with it, we will begin to see the capabilities.

Also, it looks like they are getting really desperate to get some Vita sales, because the Vita can be used as a controller for the new console.

I agree. I was even thinking of getting one, just need some really good games to come out for it. So far, I'm not convinced.

Now you're probably asking WHY they did that, right?
So it can play games better.

Basically, what happened last year is that Xbox had a standard tech and PS3 came up with this new cell thing. What ended up happening was that this severely affected the programmiongx it would take to port games over, but games made exclusively for PS3 would look a little bit better than exclusive Xbox. Now, both systems are very similar and the PS3 port of the game (Or maybe the Xbox will become the ported to system...) will function much better than previous years. This will save a lot of money from companies having to put extra people into the Playstation version, just because the programming was different.

The console itself is probably done completely, hardware wise. The design might not be.

I don't see why people care so much about what it looks like anyway. In my current setup, you can't even see my Xbox or the wires.

But I'm not really sure if this is enough for another 10 years. Although compared to what we have the pc ports will get better the next years.

You realise the previous consoles had about 500mb of RAM, right? Also, you have to just double the RAM they say because (usually) at least 3/4 of it is all into the gaming part. While as a PC needs to use the other bits of RAM.

x86-64 Jaguar technology

It's a decent regular computer. (Compared to the cell engine thing). It looks alright from what I've seen.

It looks retarded compared to the older DualShock models.

I don't mind it, looks comfortable.

_______

Also, in case you guys were wondering. Yes I'm probably going to get a PS4. The absolute BS that Xbox did with their gold membership really made me angry and PS+ is offering free games just for signing up.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 6:49am

killersup10

killersup10

2,782 posts

The absolute BS that Xbox

When did the gold membership thing come out? Killersup just started getting interested between the PS3 and Xbox so he doesn't exactly know...

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 7:19am

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

531 posts

There was always gold membership. The thing is, PS3 offered all that Xbox offered for free and the subscription service was much better. (In my opinion). Xbox just kept the gold membership the same even after PS+ became way better.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 9:09am

pickpocket

pickpocket

6,022 posts

Aaaannnnnddd I'm out. I mean really..why do they need the social media? I want the console for the games..and as a commenter said in the Yahoo! article (with a lil tweaking)...I want a console that if I took it to a cabin in the middle of the woods (with no internet connection) I would still be able to play my games

Oh pang. Welcome to the gaming world.
Really, if you dont make a psn account, they you dont share anything. You wont be connected to the internet. You wont have social media. Nothing. You dont need it to play the games, its just nice to have for co-op or whatever you feel.
I don't mind it, looks comfortable.

Agreed. It looks nice. The plastic looks different and more rubbery, which would be cool.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 9:09am

xNightwish

xNightwish

1,650 posts

There was always gold membership. The thing is, PS3 offered all that Xbox offered for free and the subscription service was much better. (In my opinion). Xbox just kept the gold membership the same even after PS+ became way better.

Ps4 will get a online subscription to similar to Xbox gold.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 10:41am

partydevil

partydevil

5,322 posts

The console itself is probably done completely, hardware wise. The design might not be.

i think it's the other way around.

the design is done fitting the controller, but the hardware isn't done until a few months befor release. making it most up to date possible.

and the reason why they didn't show it yet is simply for this right here.
that we talk about it and building a hype
might just take 2 more year befor the actual release of it.

It's the difference in actual tech. They ditched The Cell Architecture from 3 for the X86 in 4. This essentially means that the tech they're using between the two is too different for emulation.

it's understandable but they could just fit in a 2nd disc drive for these old games.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 12:22pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

might just take 2 more year befor the actual release of it.

One at the most. They're already announcing titles for it.

the design is done fitting the controller, but the hardware isn't done until a few months befor release. making it most up to date possible.

That's way too optimistic of you. The hardware is already done so that developers can start developing games for it. That's how they can have demos like Watch_Dogs and Killzone playing in real time to show to the world.

You wait too much to settle on specs, your dev kits aren't ready soon enough, your console comes out with few launch titles, you have a bomb in your hands. No, the hardware is done. The outer design is incomplete though, which is why we haven't seen it.

it's understandable but they could just fit in a 2nd disc drive for these old games.

And inflate the console price for a convenience not everyone will use? Bad business move. It needs to be attractive so that customers will purchase a brand new machine they don't fully trust yet.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 1:46pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,322 posts

That's way too optimistic of you. The hardware is already done so that developers can start developing games for it. That's how they can have demos like Watch_Dogs and Killzone playing in real time to show to the world.

You wait too much to settle on specs, your dev kits aren't ready soon enough, your console comes out with few launch titles, you have a bomb in your hands. No, the hardware is done. The outer design is incomplete though, which is why we haven't seen it.

the main is done ofcourse. the coding is done. and it works. but that still leaves open for updates on the hardware until short for release.
thats why the launch title's are never taking out a 100% of the system.
they are not making these games on these specs. they make them below it. so their sure the machine can handle it. and to keep room for improvements.

and they dont show it because they need to build up a hype.
they are now on every game site and they will be again whit the next wave of info. it's part of marketing.

And inflate the console price for a convenience not everyone will use? Bad business move.

bad??? =o
have you followed apple the last few years a little? or the mobile market as a whole?
these "convenience" can be used in the promotion. and attract just those few more people.
the price of a disc drive in those amounts really isn't that much. and people will buy it anyway. why do you think the price on release is always above the 1000 and drop to 700/800 then 500 and end on 200/300?
to make profit. and people buy it anyway. whit a extra disc drive they can ask a extra 10/15. what will result some millions extra profit.

and this can keep those that might consider to go to xbox next gen to stay. whitout it, it doesn't matter wich one to choose. because you can't play the old games anyway.

now what is the bad business move?

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 1:57pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,322 posts

they didn't really say the share button was social media. It is basically the ability to hand your game off to a friend on say, a particularly hard mission and let him show you how to do it (In real time).

so the pause button is now called share button? =p

Reply to PlayStation 4

You must be logged in to post a reply!