ForumsGamesPlayStation 4

56 10766
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Did anyone get to watch the announcement of the PlayStation 4 by Sony on February 20 (today)?

I did, and all I have to say is that it looks like a good console. I think it has potential, but the only thing that needs fixing is the controller. It looks retarded compared to the older DualShock models.

All comments are welcome, but not flame wars. If you start a flame war, then you have no soul. I'm kidding about the soul part, but seriously, NO FLAME WARS!

PS: Another thing that sucked about the announcement was the fact that the PS4 itself wasn't even shown at all. Guess we'll have to wait til PAX East or GDC 2013.

• 56 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

The console itself is probably done completely, hardware wise. The design might not be.

i think it's the other way around.

the design is done fitting the controller, but the hardware isn't done until a few months befor release. making it most up to date possible.

and the reason why they didn't show it yet is simply for this right here.
that we talk about it and building a hype
might just take 2 more year befor the actual release of it.

It's the difference in actual tech. They ditched The Cell Architecture from 3 for the X86 in 4. This essentially means that the tech they're using between the two is too different for emulation.

it's understandable but they could just fit in a 2nd disc drive for these old games.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

might just take 2 more year befor the actual release of it.

One at the most. They're already announcing titles for it.

the design is done fitting the controller, but the hardware isn't done until a few months befor release. making it most up to date possible.

That's way too optimistic of you. The hardware is already done so that developers can start developing games for it. That's how they can have demos like Watch_Dogs and Killzone playing in real time to show to the world.

You wait too much to settle on specs, your dev kits aren't ready soon enough, your console comes out with few launch titles, you have a bomb in your hands. No, the hardware is done. The outer design is incomplete though, which is why we haven't seen it.

it's understandable but they could just fit in a 2nd disc drive for these old games.

And inflate the console price for a convenience not everyone will use? Bad business move. It needs to be attractive so that customers will purchase a brand new machine they don't fully trust yet.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

That's way too optimistic of you. The hardware is already done so that developers can start developing games for it. That's how they can have demos like Watch_Dogs and Killzone playing in real time to show to the world.

You wait too much to settle on specs, your dev kits aren't ready soon enough, your console comes out with few launch titles, you have a bomb in your hands. No, the hardware is done. The outer design is incomplete though, which is why we haven't seen it.

the main is done ofcourse. the coding is done. and it works. but that still leaves open for updates on the hardware until short for release.
thats why the launch title's are never taking out a 100% of the system.
they are not making these games on these specs. they make them below it. so their sure the machine can handle it. and to keep room for improvements.

and they dont show it because they need to build up a hype.
they are now on every game site and they will be again whit the next wave of info. it's part of marketing.

And inflate the console price for a convenience not everyone will use? Bad business move.

bad??? =o
have you followed apple the last few years a little? or the mobile market as a whole?
these "convenience" can be used in the promotion. and attract just those few more people.
the price of a disc drive in those amounts really isn't that much. and people will buy it anyway. why do you think the price on release is always above the 1000 and drop to 700/800 then 500 and end on 200/300?
to make profit. and people buy it anyway. whit a extra disc drive they can ask a extra 10/15. what will result some millions extra profit.

and this can keep those that might consider to go to xbox next gen to stay. whitout it, it doesn't matter wich one to choose. because you can't play the old games anyway.

now what is the bad business move?
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

they didn't really say the share button was social media. It is basically the ability to hand your game off to a friend on say, a particularly hard mission and let him show you how to do it (In real time).

so the pause button is now called share button? =p
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

the main is done ofcourse. the coding is done. and it works. but that still leaves open for updates on the hardware until short for release.
thats why the launch title's are never taking out a 100% of the system.
they are not making these games on these specs. they make them below it. so their sure the machine can handle it. and to keep room for improvements.

Launch titles never take 100% out of a system because developers take years to figure out how to do that. That's why Majora's Mask has improvements over Ocarina of Time, and both were made by the manufacturer itself.
Hell, compare early PS3 games to PS3 games coming out now. They're looking and playing better as a whole.

Besides, I'm not sure we're on the same page here. A large part of the hardware specs aren't just done, they're already confirmed, out there, announced by Sony.

they are now on every game site and they will be again whit the next wave of info. it's part of marketing.
That's arguable. They showed the controller and revealed the specs

have you followed apple the last few years a little? or the mobile market as a whole?
these "convenience" can be used in the promotion. and attract just those few more people.

Sony isn't Apple. And this isn't the "mobile market". That's not a general rule. Apple captivates people through their marketing and mystique, not because they're offering more features (and they really aren't).
Giving people extra crap and charging more, when you haven't even built confidence in your product - and the PS4 is brand-new - is bad for business.

Being affordable is central to a new console's sales. Look at the 3DS for instance, and how it was tanking up until Nintendo slashed the price. In fact, Nintendo was selling the Wii U at a loss when it launched, just to get people to buy it, and break even when they purchased a game.

the price of a disc drive in those amounts really isn't that much.

It's not just a disk drive though, is it? Because it's still blu-ray. It's the entire architecture, as was clarified in an earlier post. In my understanding that's almost like fitting another console in there.

why do you think the price on release is always above the 1000 and drop to 700/800 then 500 and end on 200/300?

I have no idea what you're talking about, because none of the consoles in this generation were ever sold "above the 1000" (unless there's some ultra-high end PS3 with 5TB storage I never heard of), and the reason why they get cheaper is very simple: they become simpler to manufacture as they become technologically surpassed.
Competitive pricing is paramount when talking about a new console's sales. Look at how much cheaper the Wii was than its competitors. People don't just buy new **** because it's new all the time; again, not every company is Apple.

and this can keep those that might consider to go to xbox next gen to stay. whitout it, it doesn't matter wich one to choose.

It's absolutely untrue to say "it doesn't matter". If you're a PS3 fan, you're more likely to go with the PS4 already, because you're already used to PSN and not paying for it, as well as attached to the exclusives that Sony has to offer. You're not going to switch just like that.

(And in my honest opinion you're making the right choice, because the PS3 is clearly the superior console and **** Microsoft.)
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I don't know about you, but I prefer to keep my consoles. I can see your problem though.

It's more of a convenience thing. I'd rather not find storage room for my PS2 and PS3 and have to switch the consoles out just to play a game I like. Plus, the common consumer isn't going to see the price and think of how less it'd be if the console couldn't play past games

Really, if you dont make a psn account, they you dont share anything. You wont be connected to the internet. You wont have social media. Nothing. You dont need it to play the games, its just nice to have for co-op or whatever you feel.

But here's the thing...we know next to nothing about the console. Well..we know about the console..but we know nothing of what it looks like. What we do know, however, is the "awesome" online features you could get with it. As far as I know, with their announcement, I might as well not get the PS4 because it seems that the focus for the console will be for social media/online usage. Again, just going off of their own announcement
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

That's how they can have demos like Watch_Dogs

Watch dogs was running on PC to the PS4's specs.

social media/online usage.

If you have an internet conncection, what seems to be the problem? Do you just not want to use internet at all?

You can still play all the games co-op with your friend in the same room. You can play all the single player games. Why does it matter if they are bringing in some online stuff? What would you add for the single player portion of the console?

Ps4 will get a online subscription to similar to Xbox gold.

No source, probably a rumor. PS4 has confirmed free match making. Also, if it is Playstation+ with more stuff added on, I'm definitely getting it.

What we do know, however, is the "awesome" online features you could get with it.

So, what are these awesome features? There is a lot of offline features as well. For example, you can pause your game for upwards of 24 hours and it will be in a powersaving mode (which uses little power). Come back the next morning and you can be where you left off, without having to go back to your previous checkpoint.

so the pause button is now called share button? =p

If that's how you want to think of it, yes. However, let's compare this button to the iPhone. By itself, it really is just a open phone. However, due to the innovation of developers it is a great multi tool.

It's been 10 years since the last console. There will be a whole generation of new gamers now. Do you think they'll go for the console that's cheaper? Or the one that can play old games.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

If you have an internet conncection, what seems to be the problem? Do you just not want to use internet at all?

I don't think you are understanding me IAgree...my irks are not with the online usage in itself..but the focus/emphasis they put on them during the PS4 announcement
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Well, what do you think they should have been talking about?

Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Thank you, guys, for commenting on my forum thread.

I've never had a thread this populated with replies and views.

Keep discussing, but no flame wars. Okay?

Well, what do you think they should have been talking about?

Sony should have actually showed us the machine itself. It's underwhelming to see that they couldn't show the PlayStation 4 machine even though they actually showed us the DualShock 4.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

If Kingdom Hearts III come out on it I will grab one right away. I still might get one if it doesn't, looks like there would be a few interesting games coming out for it.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Sony should have actually showed us the machine itself. It's underwhelming to see that they couldn't show the PlayStation 4 machine even though they actually showed us the DualShock 4.

I don't think it really matters what it looks like. You don't actually use it for anything other than putting the disc in. I'm sure they'll come up with a design soon enough.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Watch dogs was running on PC to the PS4's specs.

Then they already have the specs set, don't they? That was kind of my point.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I don't think it really matters what it looks like. You don't actually use it for anything other than putting the disc in. I'm sure they'll come up with a design soon enough.

Honestly, if they didn't show the console on purpose..I give them props. That's a genius marketing move

However, if they didn't do so as a marketing move, it's like me telling you about this awesome cake I just made and all the flavors involved, the texture, etc..and then walking away without showing you it. Even though you know what it is and what it is all about..there is that main element missing that we rely on heavily and love so dearly...visual imagery.

Visual imagery can make or break a person's interest in buying something. It's why fancy food restaurants &quotretty up" their food, it's why bands/singers put a cover on their album, it's why we have models in advertisements for products.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

If Kingdom Hearts III come out on it I will grab one right away. I still might get one if it doesn't, looks like there would be a few interesting games coming out for it.

Kingdom Hearts III

So you can keep up to date on where it might land. With how much it has been jumping around on platforms it is hard to tell. There have been a bunch of rumors swirling on where it will land...Wii is out of the question for sure though..but it is believed it will be on next-gen consoles (PS4, XBox 720, and WiiU)
Showing 16-30 of 56