ForumsWEPRWill Christianity Die Out?

213 82042
zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

So I was thinking a few day ago about all the religions that died out because they worshiped the sun, and I'm curious if you think Christianity will do the same due to its outdated beliefs (well to be exact Jesus is the sun, and Christianity also has roots in astronomy but whatever).

• 213 Replies
blackfurydragon
blackfurydragon
42 posts
Nomad

It'll end out eventually, progressively it'll have less and less followers, it happens to any religion.

metalplastic
metalplastic
191 posts
Nomad

Yes it does...though I don't know maybe a new one will pop out.

thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

it will eventually everything does and as a quote from the buddha (i think) nothing is permanent.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

nothing is permanent.

Hear, hear
Stormslice
Stormslice
42 posts
Nomad

It will not end. If it is, then why are you talking about it? Why not talk about the end of buddhism or islam? You chose to bring the controversy to the door of the Christian. That's because you have a conflict in your soul. It's not that the Christians are right, but the God that we worship is right. You know this. You just chose not to believe. That's your choice. You're entitled to it. Mostly because God gave you that volition and the freedom to make your own choices. Or did you think that your volition was free? That your ability to choose was free? Nothing is free unless it was paid for.
But I will tell you why Christianity will continue. It's because the Jews still live. People forget that Jesus was a Jew, so Christians are tied to Jews. God promised the Jews that 1. they would not be destroyed and 2. that he would come back and establish his kingdom. Lo and behold, the Jews are still here despite repeated attempts by various entities to annihilate them. One can assume that if the first promise was kept, then the second promise will be kept, too.
Also, it would continue anyway because you keep talking about it and trying to fight it. There will always be someone who is curious as to why you are attacking Christians and our faith. They will research Christianity and come to a knowledge of Jesus. Your whole plan to destroy Christians is going to blow up in your face. Interesting, isn't it?

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

It will not end.

Eventually it will. Though not for a very long time.

If it is, then why are you talking about it? Why not talk about the end of buddhism or islam?

We didn't make the thread. The person who did is someone who left a long time ago.

You know this. You just chose not to believe. That's your choice.

1) I don't "know" that you're right. In fact, I think you're not.
2) Belief isn't a choice in the way you're using it. People hold beliefs because they think they're true, based on some sort of reasoning. You can't choose not to believe something that you believe.

Mostly because God gave you that volition and the freedom to make your own choices. Or did you think that your volition was free? That your ability to choose was free? Nothing is free unless it was paid for.

You can say God gave us freedom of choice...except if you look at scripture he really didn't and the reason we have choice is because we sinned to begin with, according to doctrine. I personally think it makes a lot more sense to notice that we're animals, and that all animals have decision making processes inherent in their brains that are varying in complexity and depth, and that being precise, we don't have free will at all, but are only acting out our biology and environmental factors. They've proven that the brain has made a decision on what to do before you even become conscious of it.

Lo and behold, the Jews are still here despite repeated attempts by various entities to annihilate them.

The same is true of other religions.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

You chose to bring the controversy to the door of the Christian. That's because you have a conflict in your soul. It's not that the Christians are right, but the God that we worship is right.

It's true that it would have been more appropriate to extend this topic to religions in general. But it seems the OP had a stronger connection to christianity, which makes sense since it is one of the most present religions world-wide. It does not mean there is anything to it; but keep on believing that if it makes you feel better

Lo and behold, the Jews are still here despite repeated attempts by various entities to annihilate them.

Lo and Behold, the Mayans still exist despite their near complete annihilation. What say you?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It will not end. If it is, then why are you talking about it? Why not talk about the end of buddhism or islam? You chose to bring the controversy to the door of the Christian.

We can discuss the end of religion, if you want to be nitpicky and derail the thread. The central ideas are all the same, whether society will progress to the point whereby we do not need to rely on myths to explain our world.

That's because you have a conflict in your soul. It's not that the Christians are right, but the God that we worship is right. You know this. You just chose not to believe. That's your choice. You're entitled to it. Mostly because God gave you that volition and the freedom to make your own choices. Or did you think that your volition was free? That your ability to choose was free? Nothing is free unless it was paid for.

That escalated fast. Firstly, how would you know such? I often find that this is the first defense religies like to jump to whenever an argument against God is brought up. I.e, We do believe in God, but we don't accept it. This smacks of pure baloney, an an attempt to violently shove your religion down our throats. This does not sound at all like free will or choice making. There would be no decision making on whether to believe or not, when a religious person states the caveat at the beginning, that it matters not whether we might choose to believe or not because his invisible being exists, and that's that. That's an argument foundered upon non-existent pillars.

But I will tell you why Christianity will continue. It's because the Jews still live. People forget that Jesus was a Jew, so Christians are tied to Jews. God promised the Jews that 1. they would not be destroyed and 2. that he would come back and establish his kingdom. Lo and behold, the Jews are still here despite repeated attempts by various entities to annihilate them. One can assume that if the first promise was kept, then the second promise will be kept, too.

I would like to point out that societal surveys would poke a hole in your argument. Among 'Boomer' Jews, born between 1946 and 1964, 81 per cent described themselves as Jewish by religion, and for Millennial Jews, born after 1980, the figure was down to 68 per cent. These so called cultural/secular Jews identify their ethnicity as being Jewish, but they have a very lax faith, or non at all. And their numbers are growing. So even if Jews are still around, it does not necessarily mean that Judaism or its successive Abrahamic religions will survive intact.

Also, it would continue anyway because you keep talking about it and trying to fight it. There will always be someone who is curious as to why you are attacking Christians and our faith. They will research Christianity and come to a knowledge of Jesus. Your whole plan to destroy Christians is going to blow up in your face. Interesting, isn't it?

You missed a step. They will research Christianity, and come to a knowledge of the myths involved. Then they will stop right there, and shelf Christianity right next to the others on the extinct religion lists. And it's not just my petty claim, but a demographic trend amongst youngsters.

Interesting, isn't it?
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

Of course it will, not just because all religions do but because new younger generation are just not interested in the faith and do not see the average church as a place where great things happen. If Churches have no ministry for young people, it means they have no interest in the future of the faith.

thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

Since i have no idea how to quote things here (Your whole plan to destroy Christians is going to blow up in your face. Interesting, isn't it?).

Please tell me when we were trying to destroy christians stormslice?

thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

I'm hoping i did that right.

chrystalfox
chrystalfox
20 posts
Nomad

While I don't see any reason why it eventually won't, I would like to point out it will probably be a long while. Fact one, that's been stated before:the Internet. And like they remind us in school and work: what is on the Internet is on forever. Secondly: our government. Our (the United States) government based it laws on a Judo-Christian beliefs. Therefore, until the collapse of the U.S., it will still be prominent.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Secondly: our government. Our (the United States) government based it laws on a Judo-Christian beliefs.

No they didn't. I do remember coming across what it was based on but I would have to spend several hours to find it again which I current don't have time to do.

"Conclusion
GRAND TOTAL: 3.5
Hmph. So at the very best â" and I think I was generous â" not even half the Commandments translate into law, and those that do have a suspicious pedigree. Moreover, the first four Commandments, and the ones that most pertain to religion and Judeo-Christianity specifically, are expressly forbidden by our Constitution (and the fifth is arguably unconstitutional as well). If the Founding Fathers really wanted our countryâs system of laws to be based on the Commandments, then this is not an auspicious way to do it."

Are the Ten Commandments really the basis for our laws?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Actually managed to find something on it. Not the same source i originally heard this but it should due. US law is based on English Common Law. Which in turn is not based on Jude-Christianity either.

U.S. Law and the History of English Common Law

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I'm hoping i did that right.

Off-topic: You can copy the piece of text you want to quote, now highlight it, and hit the quote button in the reply screen.

This will wrap quote tags around it, same thing.
Showing 121-135 of 213