ForumsThe TavernWhat was the stupidest thing you used to believe as a kid?

89 19717
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

This conversation always comes up some time and mostly I find people have hilarious answers.

i personally used to believe that the ice cream van played really sad music because they were out of ice cream. I always wondered why I never saw them when the music wasn't playing...

So, what was the stupidest thing you used to believe. Don't be shy, only the internet will know.

• 89 Replies
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

If I climbed a vertial set of monkeybars, I would fly into the sky and join the CareBears. I don't even know why.
And I also believed that numbers went like this: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,100,101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109,200. etc.
Also, I thought that Florida was below the equator, so people in Florida spoke Florida-ese. Same for Texas and anywhere south of-hey, wait a sec, you don't get to know which state i live in >
And I thought when I lost teeth, they would grow out of my ears.
And the strangest one: I thought people got pregnant by smelling someone else's nose.
There's a whole lot of stuff....

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

If I climbed a vertial set of monkeybars, I would fly into the sky and join the CareBears. I don't even know why.
And I also believed that numbers went like this: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,100,101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109,200. etc.
Also, I thought that Florida was below the equator, so people in Florida spoke Florida-ese. Same for Texas and anywhere south of-hey, wait a sec, you don't get to know which state i live in >
And I thought when I lost teeth, they would grow out of my ears.
And the strangest one: I thought people got pregnant by smelling someone else's nose.
There's a whole lot of stuff....

StormWalker, you've officially took the title of the weirdest person on AG. Congratulations.
codecoward
codecoward
44 posts
Shepherd

thought that blood was fruit juice

I got hurt a lot....

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,100,101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109,200. etc.

You must have invented your own base system!

Back to the topic, the stupidest thing I believe when I was a kid was that God AND Santa were real.
Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I'm 20 and I still avoid stepping on sidewalk cracks.

I'm 18 and I do the same thing, but it's more of an OCD thing for me. I never believed that stepping on cracks would actually break my mother's back.

But I did believe that Santa was real until I was in 5th grade. My mom finally had to tell me that he wasn't because my younger sister, who was in 2nd grade at the time, had already stopped believing in him.
boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

That my life was a test, and I was being monitored by aliens to determine if I was 'worthy' to be woken up and part of the 'real' world. Kind of Matrix-ey, I guess, but with aliens

It still hasn't been disproven, I suppose!

matrixdiscoking
matrixdiscoking
130 posts
Nomad

tooth fairy, easter bunny, sant claus stuff like that
also that people didnt die

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

terry, santa is real.

he was on my roof, I heard the clip clop.

anyways, the weirdest thing I used to believe was I could breathe underwater. so glad to be alive ._.

also that, umm, uh, well, besides the breathing underwater thing (again, loooove breathing...) I was pretty good.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

*sees xeano's comment* YES I'M THE WEIRDEST PERSON ON AG AHAHAH *happy dance*
To add to my list: I thought banana's were trees...well, you know... >m<
I also believed that my reflection came out of the mirror at night and ran around in my dreams, and that electricity occured because there was a girl lightning bolt in all the electronics, and all the boy lightningbolts all rand after it.
And I think i still have more, too. XD

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

That my life was a test

I believed for the longest time that life was just a show for me and that everyone around me was placed there just to make my life seem more normal.

he was on my roof, I heard the clip clop.

That was me trying to break into your h--you're right, it was Santa Claus.
GhostOfMetal
GhostOfMetal
694 posts
Shepherd

There was one point that, although I didn't really believe it, I thought it to be more than likely that we actually live in the Matrix-style place where we are not actually awake or doing things. I think it was more that I wished it was that interesting though.
I also used to think that the middle ages was less than 100 years ago.. I was less than intelligent.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

A couple other things are that I used to believe that Elephant Ears were actual elephant ears, French Fries were from France, Rain was angels taking a leak, Thunder was God bowling, and some other things.
thunder was God bowling and rain was angels taking a leak, interesting, now tell me about your mother. (apparently that's how Freudian thought worked)

also used to think that the middle ages was less than 100 years ago.. I was less than intelligent.
No, it was 2000 years ago.

the problem with relating what you though when you were younger, is for some reason that is what you remember least.

~~~Darth Caedus
TheGenovesan
TheGenovesan
65 posts
Nomad

When I was four, I believed that if I thought hard enough and said the words, "Blue skidood, we can too," i would actually be able to jump into a picture or book. I broke quite a few books that way.

Also, around when I was seven or so, I thought that real life was just a dream. Very Inception-y when I think about it now.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Okay I've got two of them.

First, when I was in like first grade, I didn't understand the concept of a vacuum. I literally thought that astronauts wore suits because space was filled with something to the affect of space air, which is like normal air, but if you touch it you die. The ozone layer prevents normal earth air from mixing with deadly space air.

I must stress that this wasn't like a gas. It was like literally air, but from space. Because I certainly didn't understand the concept of a gas in a meaningful way, either. Like, I academically knew the states of matter, and that steam was gaseous water and all, but it just didn't translate to a worldview.

Okay, thing number two: when I was little I believed that metal was indestructible. Not in so many words of course. It was never really thought of as a single cogent thought, but the belief informed a lot of my thinking. To me, a beam made of metal could never be bent nor broken, and no force on heaven or earth could penetrate the unbeatable defense of any amount of metal. I thought knights in armor were harmed only by hitting unarmored parts, made necessary by joints. This is because I didn't grasp conservation of momentum.

People stopped using armor because guns were invented, because a bullet, much like space air, would instantly kill anything it hit.

Squidbears
Squidbears
627 posts
Nomad

I too thought metal was indestructible, and Xzeno's bit about knights seemed particularly familiar, but I also thought all metal was steel. I believed that iron,copper,brass etc. were just different words for steel, and that if it wasn't steel colored someone had just painted it.
Number 2: I thought that when mothers gave birth the baby was just kind of squeezed out of the stomach... perhaps through the belly button. Doctors had to be present because SOMEONE had to stitch up the mother afterwards right? I never understood how animals didn't die when they gave birth in the wild. Imagine my surprise when I discovered how birth actually works!
Number 3: I did not realize I could move my eyes independently from my head until I watched an episode of zaboomafoo. The television asserted that Owls, unlike humans, could not move their eyes. I stood up and loudly proclaimed "HUMANS CAN'T MOVE THEIR EYES EITHER!!!" My mum looked at me like I was insane, and I was suddenly struck with the realization that I could look around without moving my head.
Lastly (and assuredly the most embarrassing): I uh... um... kind of maybe.. eh... thought I was a real life jedi. yeah. After I watched star wars episode 1 I forced my parents to allow me to grow a jedi braid like obi-wan... I had it until like 5th grade when my mum paid me to cut it off.

Showing 16-30 of 89