Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Why Would Anyone (in the right mind) Worship Satan?

Posted Jun 28, '13 at 3:25am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,994 posts

Knight

OK, so it's not KD that is cherry picking, as he is blindly following what the church says. So the whole religion is cherry picking. Breaking News.

How do you explain that the church is not consistent in its teachings? As I said, you don't even need to fast at Sunday, you can eat readymade stuff until you burst and it'll be no work. So there is really no reason to make an exception for cooking on Sunday.

Posted Jun 28, '13 at 4:29am

mbbs112

mbbs112

174 posts

Guys i already told the answer to this thread,people might be mad or angry at god if they feel he has betrayed him

Posted Jun 28, '13 at 4:45am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,994 posts

Knight

"I already told the answer to this thread"... my my, watch your head or it'll burst.

Of course, that is one factor, surely. But there is more to it; there is the LaVeyan satanism that isn't about pouting at god, for example. But let's stick at your example for now.

Explain me one thing (and I'm not trying to correct you, I'm just asking out of curiosity), if someone previously following god and thus holding a certain set of values, and thinking about satan as the ultimate evil... even if that person might feel betrayed by god, why would you throw your set of values over board and go adore something as perverse and ultimately evil as satan as he is seen by "good" believers? If I was a believer, and if I felt betrayed by god, I might rather see this as a reason to even fortify my set of values independently of gods teachings.

Although, come to think of it, what does it mean if you feel betrayed by the one entity that supposedly gave us those values and morals? Does it mean you also feel betrayed by your morals? Can you, as a believer, hold the set of morals given to you by your holy book, without worshiping the deity that gave it to you?

That is one reason why I like being atheist. My morals are my own and not dependent on some other entity...

Posted Jun 28, '13 at 12:50pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,672 posts

Knight

So there is really no reason to make an exception for cooking on Sunday.

Interestingly enough there are a number of appliances with a Sabbath mode to prevent doing things such as cooking on the Sabbath.

Another interesting note is that the Sabbath isn't observed on Sunday by all religions. Some have a Saturday Sabbath. Which does make some sense considering Sunday is the first day of the week and God's day of being lazy was supposedly the last day of the week.

Posted Jun 28, '13 at 9:12pm

Karasaar

Karasaar

161 posts

Another interesting note is that the Sabbath isn't observed on Sunday by all religions. Some have a Saturday Sabbath. Which does make some sense considering Sunday is the first day of the week and God's day of being lazy was supposedly the last day of the week.

Not everyone considers Sunday to be the first day of the week. Infact, in Germany, where I live, it's considered the last day of the week. I guess the same applies to Christians.

Posted Jun 29, '13 at 5:05am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

Not everyone considers Sunday to be the first day of the week. Infact, in Germany, where I live, it's considered the last day of the week.

no it isn't
http://www.la-solutions.co.uk/content/MDL/images/imgGermanCalendar.jpg

Posted Jun 29, '13 at 5:51am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,994 posts

Knight

no it isn't

Yes it is. In all of Europe, Monday is the first day of the week.

Side note: you just posted a random calendar. What tells me it's German (country, not language), or official? A link would be nice.

Interestingly enough there are a number of appliances with a Sabbath mode to prevent doing things such as cooking on the Sabbath.

Just goes to show how "devoted" they are :P

Posted Jun 29, '13 at 6:06am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,672 posts

Knight

International standard has Saturday as the sixth and and Sunday as the last. However since we are talking about the Sabbath this should be noted.

"The three Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) regard Saturday as the seventh day of the week. As a result, many refused the ISO 8601 standards and continue to use Saturday as their seventh day."

"For Jews, Messianics and Seventh-day Adventists, the seventh day of the week, known as Shabbat (or Sabbath for SDA), stretches from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday and is the day of rest. Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches distinguish between Saturday (Sabbath) and the Lord's Day (Sunday). While other Protestant groups, such as SDA, hold that the Lord's Day is the Sabbath and not Sunday. From Scriptures, Jesus rested in the grave on the Sabbath day, which is the day after the day of preparation. In this way, Jesus rested as God did in the beginning during the creation. Quakers traditionally refer to Saturday as "Seventh Day", eschewing the "pagan" origin of the name. In Islamic countries, Fridays are considered as the last day of the week and are holidays along with Thursdays; Saturday is called Sabt (cognate to Sabbath) and it is the first day of the week in many Arabic countries."

-wiki

Posted Jun 29, '13 at 6:43am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

we use the hebrew calendar right?

from wiki: (i hope this is going to work. there are special chars in the text. sorry if it's ****ed up.(i hope it's readable))

The Hebrew calendar follows a seven-day weekly cycle, which runs concurrently but independently of the monthly and annual cycles. The names for the days of the week are simply the day number within the week. In Hebrew, these names may be abbreviated using the numerical value of the Hebrew letters, for example יום א׳ (Day 1, or Yom Rishon (יום ראשון)):

1.   Yom Rishon - יום ראשון (abbreviated יום א׳), meaning "first day" [corresponds to Sunday] (starting at preceding sunset of Saturday)
2.   Yom Sheni - יום שני (abbr. יום '׳) meaning "second day" [corresponds to Monday]
3.  Yom Shlishi - יום שלישי (abbr. יום '׳) meaning "third day" [corresponds to Tuesday]
4.   Yom Reviʻi - יום ר'יעי (abbr. יום "׳) meaning "fourth day" [corresponds to Wednesday]
5.   Yom Chamishi - יום -מישי (abbr. יום "׳) = "fifth day" [corresponds to Thursday]
6.  Yom Shishi - יום ששי (abbr. יום ו׳) meaning "sixth day" [corresponds to Friday]
7.   Yom Shabbat - יום ש'ת (abbr. יום ש׳), or more usually Shabbat - ש'ת = "Sabbath-rest day" [corresponds to Saturday].

however.
this is for the religions after a bit of digging i state to be corrected and that in 1947 the "International Organization for Standardization" consisting of 163 nations. (so, roughly the entire world) sunday was made the last day of the week.
so officially, sunday is the last day.
in hebrew and christianity it traditionally is the 1st day.
and in the muslim tradition it is the 2nd day of the week. and friday the last.

wiki's 1 2 3

Posted Jun 29, '13 at 7:35am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,994 posts

Knight

Good, that is settled. Now. I'd like to come back to the point mbbs112 pokes on.

As I expanded on above, what does it mean for your morals if you feel betrayed by the entity which you believe gave you those morals. Feeling betrayed does not imply losing faith, so we stay within theistic boundaries. Does it mean you are doomed to become evil? Or can you perpetuate your adherence to the same morals?

Reply to Why Would Anyone (in the right mind) Worship Satan?

You must be logged in to post a reply!