ForumsWEPRWhat would be the best way to unpopulate the earth

290 32710
thecode11
thecode11
242 posts

Any answers hopefully humane and by unpopulate i mean lower human populations.

• 290 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,723 posts

And DayZ, thank you very much. They are very credible sources.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
2,819 posts

Well, that beats my idea to engineer a strain of superpowered carnivorous ragweed and wait for a blindingly spectacular meteor shower.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,333 posts

Capybara City, nicer ring than Raccoon City. ^^

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,705 posts

Well, that beats my idea to engineer a strain of superpowered carnivorous ragweed and wait for a blindingly spectacular meteor shower.

The second part made me laugh

*500 years later* "Still waiting for that meteor shower..."

Capybara City, nicer ring than Raccoon City. ^^

*shudder*

After all that is done, the world will have time to repopulate slowly.

But what if the virus mutates into a more lethal strain (with a 90% kill rate), called the Zepplin Virus, and goes airborne? The virus, causing psychological imbalance and reducing human intelligence to primal instinct and bloodlust, would infect nearly anyone without an oxygen purifying system. Those infected would kill any remaining humans immune to the airborne version of the infection, as ZV would constantly pump the host with adrenaline and enhance their physical attributes and the virus can spread through saliva contact as well as blood.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,995 posts

But what if the virus mutates into a more lethal strain (with a 90% kill rate), called the Zepplin Virus, and goes airborne? The virus, causing psychological imbalance and reducing human intelligence to primal instinct and bloodlust, would infect nearly anyone without an oxygen purifying system. Those infected would kill any remaining humans immune to the airborne version of the infection, as ZV would constantly pump the host with adrenaline and enhance their physical attributes and the virus can spread through saliva contact as well as blood.

But what if that virus mutates into the Goomba virus, which would cause the human population to slowly transform into small, mushroom like people that only have the capacity to move back and forth within a 5-10 meter linear location with susceptible weakness to brain trauma.
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,705 posts

But what if that virus mutates into the Goomba virus, which would cause the human population to slowly transform into small, mushroom like people that only have the capacity to move back and forth within a 5-10 meter linear location with susceptible weakness to brain trauma.

I think that one might involve actual magic. So, would the human population eventually die of exhaustion? Or does the Goomba virus increase one's lifespan?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,229 posts

Ernie's idea sounds a lot like libertarianism. I am surprised no one caught that. But yeah, sourcing from video games is weird. I was wondering why you were doing that.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,723 posts

Ernie's idea sounds a lot like libertarianism. I am surprised no one caught that. But yeah, sourcing from video games is weird. I was wondering why you were doing that.

It's almost like you are implying that video-game logic has no place in WEPR. As if the WEPR is for actual debates using science, logic and real world situations.

Weird.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,995 posts

So, would the human population eventually die of exhaustion? Or does the Goomba virus increase one's lifespan?

What? No
They all turn into blocks.

Have you never even played the game?!

As if the WEPR is for actual debates using science, logic and real world situations.

That would make no sense
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,705 posts

But yeah, sourcing from video games is weird. I was wondering why you were doing that.

I was originally throwing it into the mix of ideas as a solution. Not a plausible solution, but a solution (slowing population in a humane way). It was immediately gunned down, so, after a few attempts to justify the idea, I dropped it. Devoidless went out of his way to drag it back into the conversation and rub it in my face.

That would make no sense

Please don't feed the troll.

--

Anyway, back to methods that are actually plausible, Ernie's method still sounds workable. It would depend on controlling specifically how greenhouse gas affects the ice caps. For example, greenhouse gases are being pumped out constantly. You would need a way to harness it to make it specifically melt the caps at a specific rate.

There is the famous "hole in the ozone layer," though. Would it be possible to, say, make another one above the poles? Assuming that the hole would actually increase the temperature of a specific area.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
2,819 posts

There is the famous "hole in the ozone layer," though. Would it be possible to, say, make another one above the poles? Assuming that the hole would actually increase the temperature of a specific area.

It has virtually no impact on the climate/temperature whatsoever. It affects the penetration of ionizing radiation from sunlight.
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,705 posts

Hmm. Could some form of satellite be used to reflect the sun onto the Earth? Or a group of them?

By the way, I honestly don't know if that's a reference, and if it is, it's unintentional.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,723 posts

Please don't feed the troll.

Yeah, that's me. Questioning the legitimacy of video-game logic in the WEPR. Also, what is sarcasm.
Graham
Graham
8,083 posts

Would it be possible to, say, make another one above the poles?

There is still one. Both too little ozone, and too much ozone is toxic to life. We are in a balancing act as it is.

Matt wrote:
so, after a few attempts to justify the idea, I dropped it

Matt wrote:
I think that one might involve actual magic. Or does the Goomba virus increase one's lifespan?

Are you serious?
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,705 posts

Are you serious?

Yes, because:

Devoidless went out of his way to drag it back into the conversation and rub it in my face

I did drop it, until it showed up again. I responded twice before dropping it again. Like I said above, I'm trying to get back to methods that are actually plausible, hence the ozone layer suggestion.
Showing 241-255 of 290