ForumsGamesHalo or Cod?

48 8544
Manthetheo
Manthetheo
6 posts
Peasant

Personally, I would go with Halo. I did grow up with it and it has been with me along time. But what about you?

• 48 Replies
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Halo. To each his own but I feel like Call of Duty really needs to work on their games. The multi-player is the same thing over and over again just with new guns, new maps, and a new HUD

See whats funny is that even though you are describing what you don't like in Call of Duty you are actually describing what Halo is as well. The game has pretty much all the same weapons that every Halo had except they add a few more here and there maybe take out a few and add Dual Wielding and there you have it, another Halo loadout. And I never played Halo for the multiplayer it was just the same as Half-life except you can jump higher. Same fundamentals some of the same weapons same fact that only a couple weapons actually killed in one shot.

What I thought was funny about Halo is that I always considered the story line quite the same as Half-life. You a man fighting through aliens and zombie types for one goal. The only difference is that Half-life made the bold move as making the Main character part of the Science team and not some invincible super force
EndlessMarrow
EndlessMarrow
60 posts
Nomad

I agree that Masterchief is not god so that kind of put a dent into halo's storytelling.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

The game has pretty much all the same weapons that every Halo had except they add a few more here and there maybe take out a few and add Dual Wielding and there you have it, another Halo loadout.

Halo 3- Everybody starts out with the same loadout. Guns and other pick ups are found around the map.

Halo Reach- Instead of pick ups, there are now armor abilities available at spawn, and there are a few preset loadouts for each gametype changing starting weapons. Power weapons can still be found around map.

Halo 4- Loadouts are now completely custom, and now have added specific boosts you can apply to the loadout. Players gather points through playing during a match to get power weapons. Instead of lying around, sometimes power weapons will randomly drop into the map.

The main core of Halo multiplayer has changed more than you think.

You a man fighting through aliens and zombie types for one goal.

That is an incredibly vague overview of the stories. Halo's story is on a much larger scale than Half Life. It's more of a sci-fi epic while Half Life is an adventure.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Well then scale must not be everything, because Half-Life's plot is way more compelling and engrossing. It's an adventure, but still quite suspenseful and full of surprises. I look at Halo and it seems like just one more amongst many other sci-fi universes. Besides, Half-Life has one unquestionable advantage over Halo, story-wise, and that's excellent marrying of gameplay and plot. There's no cutscenes interrupting gameplay, no moments where you aren't in control of the situation.

Well, that's my opinion. Neither series is that groundbreaking in storytelling terms, to be honest.

How did this become Half-Life vs. Halo?

EndlessMarrow
EndlessMarrow
60 posts
Nomad

When we began it after discussing halo and cod.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

@d_dude

Your just proving my point in saying that Halo keeps adding very little content every time it makes a new game

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Very Interesting

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Call of Duty 1-World at War I specify this because after the creation of modern warfare there was basicly backing to make fake crap with no amount of realism or factual Information.Just wanna give a shout out to my homeboys Soap Vassili and Master Cheif. Man yall MoFos aint never gonna die.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Who cares about realism and facts? Games are escapist in nature. There's nothing better about a game that's realistic, it can be totally unreal as long as it's fun.

Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

Halo. I don't like fish.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Who cares about realism and facts? Games are escapist in nature. There's nothing better about a game that's realistic, it can be totally unreal as long as it's fun.

I like my guns and my gunshot wounds realistic thanks but thats just me besides when I first starting playing call of Duty I appreciated it for it's realism It's what seperated it from the crowd you know.If you shoot a guy in the face he dies end of story get what I'm sayin man.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

I like my guns and my gunshot wounds realistic thanks but thats just me besides when I first starting playing call of Duty I appreciated it for it's realism It's what seperated it from the crowd you know.If you shoot a guy in the face he dies end of story get what I'm sayin man.

In CoD a sniper bullet that would leave a hole in your body the size of a fist won't kill you, but a jab with a knife will. Just because people die from a few shots, that doesn't make the game realistic.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Well then it's not about realism, it's about how shooting people in the face is fun. Which is totally fine. But let's be honest here, if you shot someone in the face as far back as GoldenEye 007 for the N64, they died. This isn't separating CoD from anyone, every shooter does it.
And there's nothing wrong with that, it makes the games fun.

You know what's kind of laughable, though? People waving the flag of "realism" when they defend CoD, when all you have to do to regenerate wounds is take a little squat behind a bit of concrete. It's one of the least realistic health mechanics I've seen in an FPS.

In CoD a sniper bullet that would leave a hole in your body the size of a fist won't kill you, but a jab with a knife will. Just because people die from a few shots, that doesn't make the game realistic.

And there's nothing wrong with that if it's fun. Game balance should trump realism every time, that's just game design 101.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

People can survive faceshots. It's not realistic, because a head wound just shows a hole, when it should be like a smashed watermelon. Playing CoD for its realism (horrid plots, superhuman feats, regenerating health, no gun jamming, unrealistic grenade explosions etc) is a joke.

That doesn't mean it's not fun, but I prefer Halo, because it was one of the first proper FPS I played.
yourawesomeness
yourawesomeness
103 posts
Peasant

Halo. I don't like fish.

bu-dump tsh!
anyways,,, they both have their merits. heads up, I'm judging from campaign.
Halo gives you an amazing feeling of raw invincibility and being the only thing that stands between humanity and extinction. I also like its many great types of weapons and grenades and enemies. also the multitude of vehicles. it also has downsides though. Halo is just a series of skirmishes rather than a full blown battle.
CoD gives a better sense of all out war. it also has a much more sense full campaign, rather than just blowing **** up and killing grunts. I also like breaching and the many tactical grenades. also the great attachments for the guns. unfortunately enemies are too easy to kill. same for the player; too easy to kill.
if I absolutely had to choose, my vote goes to (drumroll please)...
Call of Duty by a hair!
Showing 31-45 of 48