ForumsGamesXBox Reveal Thread

36 8889
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Figured I'd start a thread on this, because why the heck not. So Microsoft has, as of today, officially revealed the new XBox (complete with a ******* name rivalling the Wii U).

Here's a recording of the revealing conference.

Personally, I'll wait a bit for the internet to calm down, but what I'm seeing so far doesn't really make me especially hopeful for the future.

• 36 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7rxk5rzHaGEaRFKHOd7DD-eVvh-eGCG3UVELcueCDal3laAdv

I'm glad they are bringing back the first X-Box

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Seems the "young adult" demographic is, for the most part, pretty indifferent or even pessimistic towards the next generation. Sure, the Wii U wasn't a great innovation or amazing or even lived up to its expectations, but who's to say the PS4 and/or the Xbox One won't? We know hardly anything about the two systems because the media overhypes the unimportant stuff* and, frankly, we haven't actually seen either of them for real. We just need to wait.

*Microsoft said it'll have a bunch of transistors. They're overhyping the system by alluding to the idea that it's powerful by having a bunch of transistors. A lot of transistors isn't that remarkable.

I'm glad they are bringing back the first X-Box

lol.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Neither console seems to be that powerful. This generation isn't going to be as meaningful a graphical leap as the last one. I guess this has to do with the consoles focusing so much on non-gaming features. The XBox One seems to be a living room entertainment box that just so happens to also be a console. We can probably expect something similar from the PS4.

To be quite honest, I think I'll sit back and build myself a gaming PC this generation. I'll have to do without InFamous and Little Big Planet and whatnot.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

seriously? XBOX one? do they deny ever releasing the 1st box and the x360?
why is it so square? had the design department a vacation or something?

I think I'll sit back and build myself a gaming PC this generation.

give it 3 or 4 year after 1st release. then the prize is dropped to about 300/500.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

We know hardly anything about the two systems because the media overhypes the unimportant stuff* and, frankly, we haven't actually seen either of them for real. We just need to wait.

There's been more than enough coverage on the more important aspects of the console by now. And that is why people are upset. Microsoft doesn't help the issue by being incredibly vague about absolutely everything even though the whole point was to unveil their console.

If anything, Microsoft took the expectations people had (of an uber Kinect-box that is) and just made it that much worse.

From what we know so far:
- It's not backwards compatible. That includes all XBox Live Arcade purchases which you can't take with you.
- It requires Kinect to the point where it'll not function without it. Supposedly you can't turn off the microphone either.
- It needs to connect to the internet approximately every24 hours. You're also need to connect every time you start up a game for the first time.
- It requires you to install every game on the harddrive, regardless of it being a disc game or not.
- It seems to tie the games to your account, so you can no longer lend games to a friend without them using your account. Unless they pay a fee to unlock it.
- We don't know how this applies to used games so far, because Microsoft is keeping quiet on their plans for now.

Which all adds up to a few solid reasons why I'm going to pass on this one.
Loptice
Loptice
242 posts
Peasant

It just looked extremly unprepared. They haven't shown any exclusive games and they apparently still don't know about Xbox one's features (some members of Microsoft said you don't have to be always online some members said exactly opposite thing).
They should have just waited till E3.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

give it 3 or 4 year after 1st release. then the prize is dropped to about 300/500.
And miss out on three years of great games? I could build myself a respectable gaming PC right now that surpasses these consoles, without their bull****. And have access to online distribution services and titles I could never get on them. Maybe I will buy the lowest-end PS4 when it's way cheaper, later on, to play some exclusives, but that's the most I'll do. But I'll give the PS4 a chance to impress me still. This XBox hasn't.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Microsoft took the expectations people had (of an uber Kinect-box that is)

A Kinect-box? Who the hell was wanting that?
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Nobody was. Just because people expected them to doesn't mean they necessarily like the idea. ;P
But Microsoft's plans for an improved Kinect have been known for a while now.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Ok things I saw that were terrible, sucked, or just not that great.

Skype on your console, how original and why would anybody buy a console for Skype. There are plenty alternatives that don't require buying a new console.

Blu Ray, about time they came out with this. I was wondering if it would even happen

The idea that you need to use your voice to turn on your Xbox. Could you imagine having kids running around screaming Xbox "on" that would piss me off

The console is pretty blocky and not as sleek as the PS3 even is. It like they put half a Wii and half a PS3 together. It just looks jagged

ON this page
it says

Our new achievements portal not only
keeps track of what you earned, but how you earned
it, so itâs more personal than ever. It even lets you
compare your achievements with your friends.

Ok as is they didn't already do that before, thats old news

Also
Smart Match uses advanced algorithms to pair
players based on skill, language, and now reputation.

Reputation is horrible because last I checked people could easily put down your reputation if they didn't like you.

Oh yeah and I think the name is kind of dumb.

Things I do like:
8gbs of Ram and an 8 core processor (x86)
When the first Xbox was only running a tricore processor and only half a gb of ram, that tells me that the new Xbox one is going to be way faster and run way better games than the Xbox 360

The cloud is great because I can't stand taking my saves around with me if im going to someones house to play their xbox.

The HDMI pass through with the ability to select your cable channels. Thats pretty awesome because you don't need so many things consuming power. And everything is just right there at your finger tips.

The controller looks really awesome. Sounds like its only going to be wireless though so that's a let down

I like how it can put games in stand by mode like the PSP and PS Vita
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Nice high-powered VCR.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Things I do like:
8gbs of Ram and an 8 core processor (x86)
When the first Xbox was only running a tricore processor and only half a gb of ram, that tells me that the new Xbox one is going to be way faster and run way better games than the Xbox 360

It's certainly true that it's going to be graphically quite superior to the older console generation. But let's put things in context.
The XBox has 3GB of RAM set aside for system resources, which likely means "everything that isn't gaming", while the the PS4 has 8GB of even even faster (DDR5) RAM ringfenced for games only, reportedly.
The PS4's CPU is an 8-core AMD processor as well, rumored to be even superior to the XBox's. And even that one is kind of nothing special by today's CPU standards. According to these guys, the PS4's 8-core Jaguar can manage "half the performance of a current-gen Core i7", and about as much graphical power as a 150$ graphics card, which isn't that high-end at all.

These are undoubtedly powerful machines that surpass their predecessors in many ways, but they're actually a little disappointing, if you ask me. The last generation was a huge leap in graphical/computing power compared to its predecessor, PCs of that time were nowhere near able to compete with the PS3 without insane expense.
But this time it doesn't seem like as much of a worthwhile investment anymore, speaking purely as a gamer. You'd think machines dedicated to gaming would pack a hell of a lot more punch.

Then again, they aren't just dedicated to gaming anymore. There's features of all sorts, and they consume system resources. But it's not like a PC can't do all those things. Right now, console exclusives (both AAA releases and from their respective online stores) are their only real selling point to me. It kills me, to think I might not be able to play the next God of War or Journey. But oh well.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

Then again, they aren't just dedicated to gaming anymore.

This is the problem with the X1. The PS4 focuses mainly on gaming, and is looking like a good buy. Meanwhile, with the X1 it's all "TV, SPORTS, TV, SPORTS, TV SPORTS, TV WITH HALO, SPORTS, TV, SPORTS, TV!" With most of the features ending up being USA only.

I preferred the 360 way more than the PS3. And now this blotched up mess shows up, and I have to give up Halo and switch over to PS4. Fun.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Im waiting until the E3 conference to decide if the PS4 is really as great as they say. Anything now is pretty much speculation. It is true that you can easily get a computer that maxes out a console but there are reasons still to pick consoles over the Computer.

The biggest factor is that Consoles all have the same parts and they are usually high quality parts. If you have someone build you a computer or even if you build your own, your going to want to have high quality parts.

Controllers are also an added benefit, because most people that started playing games probably started with a controller. Yeah you can add controllers to the PC but you will have to install drivers and things.

Consoles are just really simple and make things really easy. Also the way windows 8 looks and functions is horrible.

But on the other hand the PC definitely has its advantages
More Ram, Processing Power, Higher Quality Video can all be achieved
Internet is simpler on a PC
Programming and mulitasking is performed easily
Components that fail can be replaced easily
Steam and the Cloud always keep your games up to date, keep your saves and store your games

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

Yeah you can add controllers to the PC but you will have to install drivers and things.

That really shouldn't be an argument. I bought a controller to use on PC a month ago and it didn't need any drivers. I just plugged it in and played.

Also the way windows 8 looks and functions is horrible.

Windows 7 is still an option when buying computers, and there's always Linux.

More Ram, Processing Power, Higher Quality Video can all be achieved

As long as video games are made to run on consoles, this really doesn't matter that much.
Showing 1-15 of 36