ForumsForum GamesApril Will Come [RPG]

183 59899
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

WELCOME TO ARCADIA, THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH.

Arcadia was founded in the late 2015 to cope with the massive immigrant influx arriving in the United States following the enormous economic depression during the so-called Greater Arab War. The population of cities in the East Coast exploded, to the point that the cities' supply systems could no longer cope with the people they had been designed to deal with.

In January 2015, the government passed the Arcadia Act, which specified the construction of a city dedicated to temporarily housing all of the US's immigrant population. The city was to be circular in shape, with taller buildings at the edge of the circle and lower buildings as they approached the central park, so that all had a view of the green area from anywhere in the city. It was planned that Arcadia would be the first truly futuristic city in the planet, a layout that would be tested with immigrants.

Well, at least that's how it was supposed to be.

While the city was welcoming its first inhabitants in 2021, the arab war exploded into the Third World War. The Middle East became a dangerous fallout, large areas of Africa were bombed to pieces, and China was completely put out of the game as a global power, leaving Russia, the European Union, and the US as the three major powers of the world. The United States' East Coast suffered heavy bombing, the brunt of which was concentrated in - you guessed it - Arcadia.

When the bombing began, there were 1.4 million non-US citizens living in the city, the majority of which were of Russian, Italian, or Mexican descent. An estimated 60.000 US citizens lived in the city as well, the majority of which were Policemen, or other government affiliates. The downtown area (the circle) of Arcadia was already finished, and suburbs had sprung all around the city to house more inhabitants.

The city was almost completely burst asunder by the heavy bombing. It was rapidly turned from a modern and powerful city to a pile of burning rubble. An estimated 300.000 were killed by the bombs. Anarchy broke out almost immediately after, as the remaining citizens struggled to find food, water, and the other necessary supplies for life. Gangs and Mafias sprung up, mainly once-raced and discriminating against other racist groups. Efforts by the thinly spread police to calm the chaos were completely futile, and they were pulled out of the city almost immediately after.

This is where you come in. But first of allâ¦who are you?

1. An Unfortunately, Fortunately Mission

You were part of a military task force sent to the Northern suburbs of the city to secure government control, and begin installation of a forward base for government assets to operate from said place. While this was taking place, the Russian gang ambushed you and your fellow soldiers. In the ensuing firefight, all your fellow brothers were killed, and you were wounded and left for dead (character must be 18+).

2. A Matter of Semantics

You and your recently-married spouse have packed most of your belongings and are planning on leaving the city. While you and your wife (or husband) were driving out of the city to escape the growing chaos, you were stuck up by the Italian Mafia and you and your spouse were beaten, thrown out of the vehicle, and forgotten in the sidewalk (character must be 18+).

3. A Nearly-as-Tragic Episode, without the Tragic Part

You were an immigrant sent to live in the city long ago, and have lived as a street urchin since. You must do whatever you can to survive in this hell on Earth.

4. Make-Your-Own

Make your own back story. Only post it on your first post (when you're filling the sheet), you don't need to post it continually. It needs to be interesting and creative, if it is bland and/or not very canon-ish, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to let you use it, and you'll have to pick another instead.

CHARACTER SHEET

In your first post, please include your 1. Filled-out Character Sheet, and 2. Back-story.

Name: (Include first name, any middle names, and last name or names).
Appearance: (Please be as short as you can while getting the point across. Include race).
--
Apparel: (What your character is wearing).
Inventory: (What items you have with your person).
Weapons: (Any weapons you have with your person. Ammunition included here).
--
Health: 100/100 (While I despise the traditional HP system, it is necessary for this RPG).
Abilities: (Notable abilities your character has. One example is the ability to drive a car. I'll let you pick 3 at the beginning, you can think a bit and select the ones you like best. Make them up, and I'll tell you if they're fine).
Perks: (More uncommon abilities your character has. One example is fighting with a sword (note, this doesn't give you a sword to begin with). Make one up, I'll tell you if it's alright).

I reserve the right to either add or detract items from the sheet for an individual player's needs.

OTHER FACTS AND INFORMATION THAT MUST BE PROCURED

Is winning possible?

You can, according to your background story, make a goal for your character. For example, if you pick the first option, your goal could be to construct that military base after all and restore US-Government control to the anarchy now reigning in the city. Of course, you can always play forever.

Companions? Friends? PC interaction?

Yes, you can have companions and friends following you around, helping you out in your quest to be entertained. As far as Player-to-Player interaction, I will allow it if the players involved express written consent to have their respective characters interact. Furthermore, events that a person causes will be felt throughout the city and will affect everyone. Players can also help or obstruct other players. In fact I'd find it quite interesting if a group of players got together to survive, or something like that.

Can my character die?

Yes, your character can die. If your character dies, you will be returned three turns before your death (this can be changed at the OP's discretion). If I feel that you are pestering me by constantly dying on purpose, then I will warn you. If you die pointlessly again (like throwing yourself from a window), I'm afraid I'm going to have to kill your character completely. Please don't make me do this.

What you can/cannot do.

Your character can do realistic actions within the power of a normal human being to execute, plus any abilities/perks that you have chosen. Just think about the action a bit, and you'll realize almost immediately if your character can or cannot do it.

Proper Grammar and Spelling.

You must use english to the best of your ability. If you are purposely writing with bad grammar and/or spelling, you will first be warned, and then kicked from the RPG.

A SHORT, POINTLESS, YET NECESSARY WARNING

Due to the very obvious tense conditions in the place where this RPG will take place, the Non-playable characters will be somewhat racist. Especially among different gangs, racism will be widespread. I of course am not going to use words such as the 'n' word in said occasions, but different ethnic groups will be fighting against each other - and against you - mostly based upon race. And, to a somewhat lesser extent, gender. Unless you're Storm, of course, because Storm is⦠special. *shudder*

I reserve all OP and GM rights, including that to kick you if necessary.

If you have any questions, please ask them now. Unless you're MattEmAngel. If you are him, please ask questions in my profile, haha.

• 183 Replies
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

Name: David Abercroft
Appearance: 6'4", Caucasian, blue eyes, black hair.
--
Apparel: black suit.
Inventory:
Weapons:
--
Health: 100/100
Abilities: can drive, use firearms skillfully, and good vision
Perks: superb hand to hand combat skills. you can say im trianed in martial arts, whatever it takes.

1st off, do i get to put anything in weapons and inventory section?
i pick the 2nd back story.

and what does OP mean?

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

OP: Opening poster, the person, creature, or thing that posts the thread.

I also failed to mention:

1. That each of the initial stories that I provided may only be used by one player. Which means that story number two is out of the playing field.

2. That the only standardly accepted currency in Arcadia are the Caps of bottles, regardless of size and brand (notice the Fallout reference?).

--
Apparel: Torn black suit.
Inventory: Lighter, cigarettes, wristwatch.
Weapons: None.
--
Abilities: can drive, use firearms relatively well, and has good vision.
Perks: Ability to fight hand-to-hand.

I made some small modifications to your sheet. I have italicised them for your preference. Is this all right?

--

You wake facing the cold, hard ground. With an expression of disgust, you look up. Your vision is foggy. Trying to grab onto something, you move your arm forward, but cannot hold it up for long without feeling exhausted. After several minutes of desperately trying to muster any energy you have remaining, you finally manage to lift your head from the ground. On your knees, you assess the situation around you.

Then, it all came back. The fists. The bats. Your forehead is wet. You warily place your hand on it, and are shocked to discover that it is covered in blood. Until now, you hadn't noticed that your suit was also tinted due to the scarlet liquid, and this sudden revelation does not fail to surprise you.

A short distance away, there is a strange object. It is white compared to the dark asphalt. Your clouded eyes fail at first to discern what this peculiar thing may be, and after contemplating the strange sight, you realise that the peculiar thing is your wife. "Oh ****!"

[before doing any action, remember that you are also pretty beaten due to the, well, due to the beating, and are still weak].

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

I also forgot to mention that guns are extremely rare in Arcadia. Due to the nature of the city, guns were outlawed there. So the only guns (and ammo) that are in Arcadia as of this moment are those that were looted from the military and police's futile attempts to regain control over the city.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

--
--

yeah the CS changes are fine.

i craw to my wife.

i thought you said she was dead in that scenario...well i guess this moment is gonna suck.

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

--
--

(OOC: Nah, you both were just beaten mercilessly and literally thrown to the ground and forgotten, haha. I can make her be dead if you want to, though).

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

no, please.

anyway...i need a reaction for that action i posted earlier

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

See, Nilly, I told you I'd post around 7. Ha.
-
Name: Xiao Mei
Age: Under 24, but nobody can pinpoint it and I don't feel like telling.
Appearance: 5'6, long black braid, brown eyes, rather plain. Taiwanese-American.
--
Apparel: Old leather jacket, dark pants, mask with a flower on it, a key on a string that I wear as a necklace.
Inventory: Knife, a handful of caps, a piece of paper with words on it I leave up to you.
Weapons: My precious knifey knife that I clean religiously, as well as some choice pieces of shattered glass. The key is sharp enough to stab people with if all else fails.
--
Abilities: agile, sneaky, good at blending in/hiding
Perks: STNB. Remember what that stands for? And does it even count as a perk?
---
*makes up own backstory*
I came to Arcadia with my family; my mom and my younger sister. We had an okay life. Nothing too fancy, but not quite living on the streets. When Arcadia was bombed, they were both killed, and I kept the house key, my sister's knife, and became an assassin, working for the highest bidder. Now that the dust has settled, my services are asked for more and more.
---

Unless you're Storm, of course, because Storm is⦠special. *shudder*

What's that supposed to mean? >_>
jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

Name: Sebastian Martinez
Appearance: Mexican, black hair, 1.7 m tall, brown eyes, no facial hair.
--
Apparel: Black hoody with a skull on the top, white t-shirt, khakis with lots of pockets, nike knock offs, grey socks.
Inventory: An expected amount of bottle caps. (I don't know how much each one is worth.)
Weapons: A twenty centimeter steel knife.
--
Abilities: Significant skill with knife fighting, know's how to drive, knows how to look really scary. (Just with facial expression and body langauge.)
Perks: Drugs don't affect him much, positive affects or negative effects, due to a genetic 'error'.

Backstory: He was an average kid who would have had an average life, if the war didn't happen. His parents were killed during a bombing at work, and faced with what seemed like no other options, he joined a gang. He is still farely new, but learned how intimidate people and use a knife pretty quickly.

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

--
--

Coughing blood, you make the crawl to where your wife lays unconscious. She appears to have taken no less of a beating than you, although you were knocked out first as you were the first to struggle with the vicious gang. There are dozens of small white-orange items laying on the ground. You pick one up and realise it's a cigarette butt.

On the ground, next to your wife, you find your wallet. To your surprise, no money or credit cards have been taken. In fact, nothing had been taken. Around you, you see several small objects that your still blurred vision can't concretely identity. Another thing that calls your attention is a bottle of brandy nearby.

Appearance: 5'6, long black braid, brown eyes, rather plain. Taiwanese-American.
--
Apparel: Old leather jacket, dark pants, mask with a flower on it, a key on a string that I wear as a necklace.
Inventory: Knife, a handful of caps, a piece of paper with words on it I leave up to you.
Weapons: My precious knifey knife that I clean religiously, as well as some choice pieces of shattered glass. The key is sharp enough to stab people with if all else fails.
--
---

You are woken by the monotonous ringing of the alarm clock, as it always does at 7 in the morning. A quick slap was all that was needed to silence the thing. After rolling in the sheets a bit, you decide it's time to get up and do so with a long, delicious yawn.

You live in a tiny apartment lucky enough to still have running water in a relatively undamaged building next to Central Park. All the other people in the small building have either tried to escape from the city, or died. You were more fortunate in having decided to stay here, and pillaged the other empty rooms, having collected all the items that could be of some use in the apartment.

The morning was oddly quiet. Roughly by about this time, a government plane would slowly pass overhead, with a loudspeaker blaring the New National Anthem followed by the President declaring that the citizens need not worry, and insisting that they remain at home and wait for the government to arrive, to slowly die of starvation.

Nearby, cries can be heard. You don't care. They are frequent in the city as rivals clash and battle one another in attempts to gain access to the little resources left in the city.

--
Apparel: Black hoody with a skull on the top, white t-shirt, khakis with lots of pockets, nike knock offs, grey socks.
Inventory: An expected amount of bottle caps. (I don't know how much each one is worth.)
--
Abilities: Significant skill with knife fighting, know's how to drive, knows how to look really scary. (Just with facial expression and body langauge.)
Perks: Drugs don't affect him much, positive affects or negative effects, due to a genetic 'error'.

"Ramos!" cries a man, rapidly walking into the mess hall. "Silva! Martinez!" he continued crying names as he walked towards the table you and some others were eating at. "Time to go! The Italians appear to be at it again!"

With a groan, the others slowly stood up one by one. It was usual that Román, a lieutenant of the Hijos de Libertad gang, would unceremoniously interrupt others' business to get them ready for a mission. He begins walking towards the garage, urging for the men to follow.

(OOC: Do you speak Spanish? Because I could make NPC dialogue be in Spanish to make your part of the game more in-character).

(OOC II: I should also make something else clear. I expect players to write long responses at least 2 lines long describing their action(s). If something will evidently happen, you can assume it will. For example, Jeray can assume that the lieutenant would lead him to a vehicle because he's going to a garage, so he can base his action upon that. Be creative).

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Hmm. I definitely need to figure out a way to make my longer posts more organised.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

--
--

i craw to the brandy bottle and drink anything thats left in it. then i wait until my vision is restored.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

--
--
---
I ignored the strange silence, got dressed, and then went out to find my next job. I had an appointment with one of the Russian gangs, the leader of which was an irritable young man with no patience for lateness. As this gang was all the way across the city, it'd take me a while to get there.

jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

--
--

*How much bottle caps would I be expected to have, as I wrote in my inventory, I don't know their value. Also, I speak no spanish whatsoever. I don't even know the easy words that almost everyone knows. I just wanted to be a gangster and chose a race at random.*

I follow Roman into the car, ignoring the seat belt. I ask where we are going this time, and say it better not be something stupid or I'll slit your throat myself. My tone says that I definitely will not actually do anything, but that I am simply annoyed.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Name: Sal Vidian
Appearance: 5'5", bearded, Russian
--
Apparel: Plain T-shirt, some jeans, pair of tennis shoes
Inventory: (Nothing)
Weapons: (Nothing)
--
Abilities: Sal has a strong background in maths and sciences. Before the bombing, he was an engineer in charge of an unknown military weapon development group. He knows his way around most technical equipment and weaponry.
Perks: Knows 3 languages: English, Russian and Spanish

4. Make-Your-Own

Sal Vidian was a promising student. After graduating and getting his degree in applied physics, he decided to join the military weaponry field. He spent his first few years on the field and was often given the objective to build weapons of mass destruction to kill an enemy. After proving himself, he was given the opportunity to live in Arcadia as a weapons scientist. He spent two years developing an anti-missile system that never came to fruition due to the destruction of the city. As a result, he was blamed for failing to defend the city and was expelled from the military. Now he lives by himself in an isolated apartment. He built a security system to keep intruders out.

This is the first time I've been in an RPG, so I apologize for any errors.

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

--
--

The drink makes your head stir a bit first, and after what seems to be an eternity, your eyes finally get used to the surroundings around you. You try to stand up and fall down. After a couple of moments, you try again, until finally, you manage to get on your feet. For some seconds, you lose your balance, regain it, and begin walking.

It's such a strange feeling, walking, when you think of it.

--
--
Perks: STNB >
--

"Look!" whisper some people as you walk by. "It's the Masked Lady!" they take a few steps back, cowering in fear, and do not look upon your masked face for fear that you may somehow decide to pointlessly kill them. Walking around the city, you still can't fail to comprehend the unusual silence. A cold breeze...wait, is it a breeze?

Trucks are approaching. Many of them.

--
Inventory: 32 caps.
--
--

With a croak-ish chuckle, he claps his hand on your back and begins telling you a long and boring story of his life. You awkwardly wait for his intonation to be over, and then you decide to pop the question again to see if he answers now in more, ahem, 'concrete' terms.

"Yes, boy. We're going to meet them Italian basterds and we going to teach them a lesson they won't soon forget. Here" he hands you a cerveza "cheers!"

Name: Sal Vidian
Appearance: 5'5", bearded, Russian
--
Apparel: Dirty white T-shirt, old jeans, pair of tennis shoes.
Inventory: An old cigar, a letter, a card, 29 caps.
Weapons: (Nothing)
--
Abilities: Sal has a strong background in maths and sciences. Before the bombing, he was an engineer in charge of an unknown military weapon development group. He knows his way around most technical equipment and weaponry.
Perks: Knows 3 languages: English, Russian and Spanish

(OOC: Thank you for bolding your Character sheet. It makes things so much easier. Your sheet, it's quite well. Just be creative, look at things from different perspectives, and everything will be alright *nods*).

(OOC II: The hardest part of managing an RPG is coming up with a strong first post for each player, hah).

A small little electric gadget gives you a small electric discharge. With a muffled cry, you shake your hand vigorously in the air while sucking in your saliva, holding in a noisy scream. You have nearly finished putting together a vital part of your security system. This last part, however, is tricky, and has been giving you constant problems for as long as you can remember.

Nearby, you can hear the usual morning cries. You don't mind them. Blood adorns the entrance of the small apartment building you live in, proof that inside lives someone who does not wish to be disturbed. So, people usually keep out and leave you to your peculiar business, often calling you a mad genius.

Now, a helicopter can be heard. Now, the usual again. The New Anthem begins blaring across the city. After it played for what it needed to play, the voice of the president again. Where's the ignore button?

You peer out of the window and notice the people being shakier than usual. Nearby, you see trucks approaching. They fly Soviet flags proudly, a small convoy of Chevrolet pickups followed closely by a Suburban. The Russian Underground, driving through the city. Looking for trouble. The usual. Not very long time would pass until you heard clamours and the clash of wood on steel and knives being dug into flesh.

Arcadia needs blood to thrive. Without blood, the city does not exist.

Showing 1-15 of 183