ForumsGamesWait, they thought it was a good idea to put THAT in the game?!

20 26868
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Well guys, here's your place to rant about all of the stupid and pointless (and maybe mood killing) things that have been put in games!

I'll go first (no, there will not be an assigned order), my brother recently started playing Ace Combate 07 again, we noticed the scaling and everything was REALLY off. A few missions later he pointed out some rather quick tanks speeding along, well, by their scaling they were going roughly 150 miles per hour *facepalm*

• 20 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Half the features in ACIII were pointless. Trinkets were just alright, games were stupid, combat system was jank, free-flow parkour was too easy, most of the weapons were useless, recruits were too thin, etc.

It felt like they put nonsensical content in for the sake of having more content.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I was playing this WII game called SPRay, which stands for something annyoing like 'Spirited Prince Ray' or something where you run around and get crystals to save the land or something. I eventually stopped playing because of this thing: THE CAMERA. GOD, I HATE THAT CAMERA.
It shoots things from the most freaking awkward angle! For example, you have to cover a round, rotating platform in ice, and then run up to it, jjump over a pit of enemies THAT YOU HAVE TO KILL EVERY TIME YOU FALL DOWN BEFORE THE GATES OPEN, do a belly flop on it, andt hen hopefully it'll propell you to your destination.
Sounds tricky enough, especially since the belly-flopping trick is half luck and half understanding what the camera is showing you.
The camera goes like this: Aerial view of the four hallways, the icy platform, and the pit of antimatter that enemies spawn out of. However, Ray (the character) is really small, and the controls are reversed because the camera's shooting at some weird angle. So I literally spent an hour trying to jump that stupid pit, and then failing, having to reflect shots back at RPG-toting antimatter enemies, and then spraying them to death without being overrun by enemies sneaking up behind me throwing antimatter at my feet so I die, or, even worse, spawn more.
This stupid camera angle persists throughout the entire game. In Mordack's Lair, for examplee, in the huge room with electricity and bounce-pads, you can't see anything because you're a tiny speck ont he surface of a mutant stone propellor or somethinb before you can jump through a wall.
And then there's the 'Glitch Room', which is 3/4 of the way through one of the maps. You have to go in, kill the RPG enemies, and then ice a path from a timed switch to the way out. IF you don't put ice, you fail. If you enter the room again after you escape it (which is pretty easy to do, considering you're on a ledge on a round tower int he middle of a room with identical passages going in all directions when you et out. It's easy to accidentally run into a room without knowing where you're oging.
If you run into the Glitch Room, the gates slam shut behind you, and nothing works anymore. You can't get out. You can't press the rainbow button anymore. You can't even water the plants to restore whatever you're spraying. You just get to restart the entire map.
Last but not least, the impossible antimatter portal. In one location, you have to get an enemy to spray antimatter on the wall to make a portal you can jump through. Or, you could spray it yourslef, but deplete all your energy. But then you can't reach it. It's on a wall that no platforms are near. If you randomly icejump to it, then you smash into a wall and fall to your death. If you spray the wall with slime, there's a tiny ridge you might be able to land on, but if you go too far to the left, you fall through the wall and into a lava-patterned background and it makes the sound you get when you fall to your death. Really, the only way I got through that portal was to land on the tiny ledge and then, with teeny movements of the character, slowly manuever him through the portal.
There's a very good reason I stopped playing that game.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

The game that comes to mind is Super Smash Bros Melee. I never realized just how much fun the game was until I played it without any items whatsoever. Of course, some of the more useful objects, such as the homerun bat, the beam sword, "lip's stick" (flower melee weapon), and especially the Pokeball, can actually help you K.O. your opponents more quickly, but most of the items could easily be done without. The most useless of these items being, in my opinion at least: the bunny hood, the poison mushroom, Mr. Saturn, the metal box, the cloaking device, the parasol, and the flipper.

And then there's Brawl, which includes every item from Melee with the addition of a few dozen more fairly useless objects, including my personal least favorite, the assist trophy. Because the writers over at Nintendo figured you might get bored of fighting your opponent on your own, so they give the optional unfair advantage capsule to whichever player retrieves it first so that the player who captures it can get up to pee or crack open a beer or whatever it is kids do these days. And if that isn't just the bees knees, sometimes a Nintendog pops out of the assist trophy and blocks the entire screen. Way to assist nobody.

I used to play Smash Bros (Melee & Brawl) with items on with one of my best childhood friends, and I would lose more than half the time against him. Once I started playing the game with items off, I became a much more skilled player in a very short amount of time, and now I'm not easy to beat.

So if I'm an infinitely better player without the use of petty items, why are they there in the first place?

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

The game that comes to mind is Super Smash Bros Melee. I never realized just how much fun the game was until I played it without any items whatsoever. Of course, some of the more useful objects, such as the homerun bat, the beam sword, "lip's stick" (flower melee weapon), and especially the Pokeball, can actually help you K.O. your opponents more quickly, but most of the items could easily be done without. The most useless of these items being, in my opinion at least: the bunny hood, the poison mushroom, Mr. Saturn, the metal box, the cloaking device, the parasol, and the flipper.

And then there's Brawl, which includes every item from Melee with the addition of a few dozen more fairly useless objects, including my personal least favorite, the assist trophy. Because the writers over at Nintendo figured you might get bored of fighting your opponent on your own, so they give the optional unfair advantage capsule to whichever player retrieves it first so that the player who captures it can get up to pee or crack open a beer or whatever it is kids do these days. And if that isn't just the bees knees, sometimes a Nintendog pops out of the assist trophy and blocks the entire screen. Way to assist nobody.

I used to play Smash Bros (Melee & Brawl) with items on with one of my best childhood friends, and I would lose more than half the time against him. Once I started playing the game with items off, I became a much more skilled player in a very short amount of time, and now I'm not easy to beat.

So if I'm an infinitely better player without the use of petty items, why are they there in the first place?

fun? its true that for skilled fights you should turn the items off but i think that the items are very fun to use. and i think you overestimate the assist trophies way too much. they arent that strong unlike some pokemon or even some weapons. when it comes to skill you just turn them off and play on a basic unmoving stage but does that mean they should get rid of stages? the game is really friendly to both skilled competitive players and people who just feel like messing around.
the only thing i think is stupid is tripping. there should have at least been a turn off button.

for me? its atlantica in kingdom hearts 2...

it was my fav world in the first game and it became just a minigame world in 2. i cant complain much about the minigames themselves, they were quite fun but they gave up a whole world for that which i found awful.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Spring Mario from Super Mario Galaxy. Nothing more needs to be said.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

If you want to get into Super Smash Bros, forget the items. There are characters in there who don't belong. Why did they think it would be a good idea to add Pichu to the game? Pikachu can deal and hold more damage, and he doesn't deal damage to himself. What is Pichu's purpose in this series?

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

What is Pichu's purpose in this series?

Probably a joke character. They've always made them, for example: Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, Rob(or so I hear), and Wii Fit Trainer.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

In MLB The Show I hate how they give certain pitchers pitches that aren't available to anyone else in the game (i.e. Daisuke and the Gyro, Dillon Gee and the Vulcan change)

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Mo-cap dogs.

That's all I need to say. Funnily enough, that is all I can say about the subject before the taste of copper swells up in the back of my throat.

Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

SOME silent protagonists fit the ball. If they never talk, and you never see them, then why did the developers have him/her as the protagonist you are forced to play as for all or most of the campaign? (When there is clearly a ******/epic squadmate or supporting character that you'd rather play as instead.)

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

Almost everything in Duke Nukem Forever made me say " Wait, they thought it was a good idea to put THAT in the game?!"

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Electrocutioner from Arkham Origins. C'mon.... this boss is such a joke. He goes down in one hit. Waste of time and of a potentially interesting character.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Melee also had Young Like in it, who was identical except he had fire arrows and less range. Not sure if filler or just shouting out to previous games people loved.

Young Link is another useless character. If he had been significantly better than Link in any way, he would have been a reasonable addition. All these years later, I still wish they had filled that character space with someone else.

What about Dr. Mario? Aside from the pill-throwing, are his moves any different from Mario's?

ROB was...I'm not sure. I don't think he was a joke character though.

ROB at least has his own set of moves and isn't a duplicate of a stronger player. I enjoy playing with him on occasion because he's a well-rounded character and very fun to play with once you know how to use him.
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Fixed cameras, in any game. Worst design ever. I prefer to have control of what I'm looking at, in order to assess what I'm supposed to do.
Take God of War for example: I can't even describe how many times I fell off a cliff or into a hole, because the camera was situated in a position that made it impossible to tell how big of a jump I needed.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

and i think you overestimate the assist trophies way too much.

I don't underestimate how annoying they can be. Sure, they may not deal much damage, but you can't really fight them off, and having an enemy that follows you around that you can't get rid of (and sometimes gets in the way of everybody) is something that the game is better off without.

when it comes to skill you just turn them off and play on a basic unmoving stage but does that mean they should get rid of stages?

I find the moving stages distracting and boring, but it all depends on what you're trying to get out of the game. Some people prefer them to the nonmoving ones, and I'll admit they can be fun every once in a while, but for me, all the jumping around to keep from falling off is just distracting.

Jigglypuff was and is a joke character, but I love the character anyway because getting beat down by him is hilarious.

Not to mention that B-down move, but that's very difficult to execute properly, and it's severely weaker in Brawl anyway.

And yes, the new SSB game has the Wii Fit trainer in it for absolutely no good reason whatsoever. I can't think of anyone who would enjoy playing as a Wii Fit trainer on purpose.

I felt the same way about the Pokémon Trainer in Brawl. More of a novelty character than a useful one, I thought.

ROB at least has his own set of moves and isn't a duplicate of a stronger player. I enjoy playing with him on occasion because he's a well-rounded character and very fun to play with once you know how to use him.

R.O.B. was one of the first of the "new" characters I mastered back in my Brawl days. He's kind of joke character, but he's also a great addition to the series. I hope to see him in the fourth SSB installment.
Showing 1-15 of 20