Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

We need a chat feature

Posted Dec 21, '13 at 8:00pm

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

1,055 posts

Everyone in support of there being a chat feature installed on AG should reply to my posting.
It would be a great feature!!!
Come On!

Posted Dec 21, '13 at 8:08pm

Charlie506

Charlie506

1,317 posts

People think forum is enough, eh?

Posted Dec 22, '13 at 5:27am

0Shane0

0Shane0

125 posts

Chat really should be at the top of AG's to do list.

Posted Dec 22, '13 at 6:21am

neoexdeath

neoexdeath

369 posts

I agree with 0Shane0.

Posted Dec 22, '13 at 6:22am

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,419 posts

Knight

AG actually had a chat feature in 2008, but it was removed due to people abusing the feature and admins being unable to improve it due to it being run through a different site.

With stronger admin power and 5 additional years of internet technology, these issues could potentially be circumvented, but then it raises a new question: do we really need a chat feature? If two people want to talk to each other, they can message each other through their profile messengers, or if they were really motivated to chat at a higher pace, through one of the many in-game chatboxes AG's games have to offer. People have even put chat boxes on their own profiles through HTML.

And of course, there is always the option of creating your own chat site and encouraging others to use it. You wouldn't even have to follow AG rules if you ran your own chat site.

Posted Dec 22, '13 at 8:58am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

I don't personally care for it; then again I won't mind if there is one, either

What I know is it is indeed hard to moderate, and easily forms a blind spot from a crew's already overworked viewpoint.

Posted Dec 22, '13 at 9:01am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

ps Of course, one only needs to look at the average chat box at gaming sites that do feature them (or most any other sites) to see that what goes on there is about 99.9% mindless banter, with plenty a questionable contribution thrown in, indeed, and that faster than anyone can type.

So it doesn't get my vote, no, but then luckily it's not for me to say

Posted Dec 22, '13 at 1:26pm

0Shane0

0Shane0

125 posts

AG actually had a chat feature in 2008

That was probably one of the worst chats ever invented - people could only speak with their rank and below making it more of an elitist thing that anything else.

it was removed due to people abusing the feature and admins being unable to improve it due to it being run through a different site.

Bold being the reason and italics being the excuse.

I can't fathom how one would 'abuse' a chatroom feature - talking too much?
It seems that's what they are there for.

Anyhow; conversing through profiles is way to slow, you might exchange about 5-10 messages a day - there should be a notification feature of some sort other than receiving an email since I presume the majority of AG's clientele aren't the sort that check their email frequently.

Also, to converse with someone via game - we'd have to play the same game and you know...people being people don't always have the exact same interests which is why Kongregate has a highly regarded chat system as people - who play different games can converse while playing their games.

And, finally - using an external source to chat generally leads to most of those people abandoning AG, if you do recollect CountingTime most of the regulars there are now inactive on AG.

Basically; not having a chatting feature leads to people migrating to other websites.

Posted Dec 22, '13 at 2:49pm

Blackbeltr0

Blackbeltr0

802 posts

Basically; not having a chatting feature leads to people migrating to other websites.

I agree. also I mean it will cut down on spam "comments" because some comments mods don't like even if it friendly chat with your friends.
I believe a chat would be nice, and the "comments" could be for formal congrats or basically what we use ti for now minus the chatting.

Posted Dec 22, '13 at 6:12pm

IceClaw247

IceClaw247

869 posts

I do think the forums and profile messenger both provide a sufficient "chatting" service, and if there was a live chat feature it would reduce the activity in the forums which I for one would be dissappointed as I rather enjoy it.

Reply to We need a chat feature

You must be logged in to post a reply!