ForumsNews and FeedbackNew Rating System

57 21607
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I noticed a new rating system in ShellShock Live 2. Here's a screenshot:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/Patrick2011b/Images%20for%20Armor%20Games/NewRatingSystem_zpsc2a243d1.png

It looks like the x/10 rating system no longer applies, but there is only a up or down vote with a big number in the middle currently corresponding to the average rating in the previous system.

• 57 Replies
Karasaar
Karasaar
163 posts
Constable

This is utter trash, please put back the old rating system.

There is more to a game than "I like it" and "I don't like it", there are varying nuances of "liking" and I want to be able to express these.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

What's the number in the middle for?

I want to be able to express these.

You did notice the commenting system, right? You can even get merits for a good review.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

good review.

By good I mean the review was well-thought-out.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Yes, there is a new rating system for Feature Friday. It's the same one we'd used for a while here on MMO's. We find it simpler to use and cleaner. We know change sometimes can be difficult, and the old rating system has been with us for a very long time. But give it a chance, it will grow on you.

We're also talking about moving the social sharing & favorite games to that area to make them more visible and easy to use.

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

What about our former ratings in the old system? Are they automaticly transfered to the new one (just to be 100% sure, ive tested a few ones i still rated and my clicks dont count).

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

All ratings that were previously made are 100% transferred over in their current state.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Doesn't seem very fair, when Thumbs Down = 1 and Thumbs up = 10?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

That's correct. Think of it this way, if you disliked a game, statistics show that a user will rate it a "1" 99.9% of the time. When a user likes a game, he will rank it 6,7,8,9, and maybe a 10. Thus what isn't fair is old system, where the balance was always swayed to the negative vote. Now they have equal weight.

Bonus: games won't show rankings until a certain amount of ratings have been cast so early votes won't sway decisions either.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The statistics really showed that they gave it a one most of the time?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Yes, they clearly showed that anybody that voted below 5 voted a 1.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Would it be sensible to announce the reason why on the front page for the sake of everyone that doesn't come into the Forums, cause I have a feeling it might have a bit of backlash?

manyslayer
manyslayer
1 posts
Blacksmith

I've never rated a game a one but I've rated a lot of games less than 5, but none were unplayable. I really liked the old rating system and really dislike the new one. Seems it was just dumbed down to make it easy for people to understand that only know how to like something or not,

MrKOHCEPBAHT
MrKOHCEPBAHT
2 posts
Jester

That new system is so bad. And so bad argumentation... And I know what will happened next, after 2-3 years. They will delete "dislike" button. And argumentation will be like "we want positive experience for users, so we delete it. We want to know your opinion, so we left a like button for you."

The point is that you can imagine argumentation for any changes, and you can even believe in it. But the truth is that new system sucks. And I'm not affraid of changes. I would be happy if you make old system better, for example split overall score(1-10) to gameplay(1-10), graphics(1-10), sound(1-10), etc. Or something else. That will be very good and help developers to make better games.

Old system was much better than this new. You are trying to destroy a good thing. And nice overall game rating. Dont do that. People like already ruined youtube system (about 5 years ago). Please, dont do that. Like/dislike system is for stupid monkeys, not for humans.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Yes, they clearly showed that anybody that voted below 5 voted a 1.

Oi, that seems like some generalizing
boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

What Ferret is talking about isn't argumentation, it's statistics. We ran the numbers based on the millions of ratings we have, and they are highly skewed.

There is also a trend of following what the current rating is, which we ended up enforcing with our previous UI.

Showing 1-15 of 57