ForumsForum GamesCount to 100: Garlic Appreciation Club

78431 47099600
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

The original "This Thread is Currently About" is back! Yes, it's Count to 100!

HOW TO PLAY

1. Count by ones from 1 to 100 in 100 consecutive posts according to the Core Rules.
2. Restart the count from 1 after:
a. a Moderator (or an Administrator) makes a stopping post (post without counting) if users and Knights are counting..
b. a user or Knight or Warden makes a stopping post (post without counting) if Moderators and Administrators are counting.
c. breaking a core rule, spamming, or cheating.
d. reaching 100.
3. Announce why you restart the count so other counters don't get confused.
NOTE: For the time being, Moderators are allowed to help Users count, so as long as the other rules are observed you do not need to restart the count if you see a mod count. However, if a Moderator makes a stopping post, i.e. a post without counting (not the same as a non-count post since they're technically different teams), it is considered an interruption and the count will restart.

CORE RULES

No mistakes. A count must start from 1 and increase by ones up to 100, save for exceptions noted.
No double-counting. No counter may count two consecutive numbers.
No back-to-back counting. No two counters may alternate for more than three consecutive numbers.
Okay: P1 P2 P1 P3
Not Okay: P1 P2 P1 P2
Okay: P1 P2 reset P1 P2
No editing. No counter may edit their post. If an edit tag shows on a count, the attempt is forfeit.

ADDiTiONAL RULES

No "spamming". Please don't post only the number and please don't post gibberish, either.
Multiple one- or two-word counts may also disqualify a count.
No "cheating". This shouldn't need to be said. Counting to 100 doesn't count if you cheat.
This is an exercise in teamwork, not rule bending.
No "spoiling". Don't mess with the count. Posts should start with the correct number.
Posts with no numbers should be ignored. See also: No non-counts.
Posts with intentional mistakes should be ignored.
No "spilping". If this is your first post in this thread, please post "I'm new and here to count to 100!"
No non-counts. No counter may post without a counting number or make a post without bolding that number if that counting number is not at the start of the post.

COMPLETE SET OF RULES
Please refer to the complete set of rules for additional information and examples of what is valid or invalid.
DiSCUSSiON THREAD
Please also check out the discussion thread for new gameplay or rule proposals or general discussion on the gameplay and rules of "Count to 100".

END GAME

Once you reach 100, you start this Sisyphean task all over again back at 1. Users should notify the Commissioner of the Count (HahiHa) that the count reached 100 and the Commissioner will review it to make sure there were no mistakes or cheating. If there were no mistakes or cheating, then the users who took part in the successful count to 100 will get a shiny new Quest!

SCOREBOARD

bold = counted 100, italics = previous winning participant, [#] = # of total wins, (#) = # of times counted 100
FULL SCOREBOARD

MODS - 2 WINS
Highest Count: 15!
1. 9! - 3865 (2533) pages / 286 days, Feb 13, '15 at 5:49pm, 3 users, 6 minutes.
Gantic, Ferret, weirdlike
Note: Earned by handicap.

2. 14! - 2135 pages / 937 days, Sep 08, '17 at 1:25pm, 3 users, 6 mins.
Moegreche, nichodemus, UnleashedUponMankind
Note: Earned by handicap.

USERS - 51 WINS
1. 100! - 537 (355) pages / 94 days, Aug 6, '14 at 9:28pm, 16 users, 14 hrs 33 mins.
apldeap123, Azywng, Crickster, Chryosten (as Darkfire45), Darktroop07, evilsweetblock, JACKinbigletters, kalkanadam, Loop_Stratos, MPH_Complexity, Omegap12, Patrick2011, R2D21999, Snag618, Tactical_Fish, Voyage2

LAST TWO WINS

50. 100! - February 12, '24, 11 users, 52 days.
sciller45 (5)[17], HalRazor [5], saint_of_gaming [5], JimSlaps (1)[2], TheMostManlyMan (1)[14], Solas128 [3], nichodemus (2)[9], Widestsinger [5], SirLegendary (2)[22], skater_kid_who_pwns, disastermaster30 (3)[5]

51. 100! - March 17, '24, 11 users, 35 days.
JimSlaps (1)[3], sciller45 (5)[18], saint_of_gaming [6], TheMostManlyMan (1)[15], Strop, skater_kid_who_pwns [2], GhostOfMatrix [4], WidestSinger (1)[6], HalRazor [6], SirLegendary (2)[23], Solas128 [4]

• 78,431 Replies
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@kalisenpai What subjects are you studying?

@Yellowcat I don't know if that's a good idea to argue with Commissioner like that... You see he might interpret that quoted rule that way. That's his privilege and logic is also on his side... more than on yours this time. Between 1 and 0 as first digits there's a big difference. 03 is a presentation of number 3 most of the time used on digital clocks. On binary clocks 00:03 would be: 0000:000011 (because 11 = 1101 and 59 = 111011). We count to 100 so the use of 01 - 09 doesn't make much sense, it doesn't give any benefits. If it was about me I'd not care about 0s in the front as they don't change the value. But that quoted rule says as it says and HahiHa has a right to interpret it as he wants. I'm not resetting, but from now this count seems not sure.

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

05. Well, since most of the numbers in CT100 are 2 digits, adding the 0 actually makes more sense.

PHLHimself
PHLHimself
300 posts
King

06. This is getting technical

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

7. In my opinion this doesn't make sense, because If I'm not adding 0 I don't have to write another sign and the benefits of adding it are scant. And most important thing:

HahiHa:

I guess it depends how accommodating I am

I like that Yoda style inversion.

He didn't express a clear-cut opinion about 0s in the front yet.

perin106
perin106
103 posts
Justiciar

8. I do think Yellowcat's logic makes for a very good argument point! Happy we don't have to worry about it since it was in the last count

oyaji3211
oyaji3211
258 posts
Herald

9. Shall we move on?

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

10. You want me to move on from life?! I refuse!

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

11. @perin106 The problem is that he still uses it :-P I'm not used to care about such things, but when you say that his arguments are correct you are saying that mine are incorrect, and that fights with the logic that I see and I believe that's not a wrong logic. Yellowcat's logic doesn't make a good argument point. It's not my opinion, it's my claim. Here's why:

That argument is a fallacy:

03. is the same as 3. The number of the post is 03, and it is at the front. Saying otherwise would be like discounting 12 at the beginning of a post because the post starts with 1.

Leading 1 changes the value of a number, leading 0 doesn't.

Well, since most of the numbers in CT100 are 2 digits, adding the 0 actually makes more sense.

This is only true if we aren't strict to the rule of using 0 before numbers. Here is everything about leading 0s, with links to reliable sources on the bottom:

Dear wikipedia

Leading zeros also present whenever the number of digits is technically fixed (such as in a memory register), but the stored value is not large enough to result in a non-zero most significant digit.

That also should be cut out - the rest of the paragraph says about similar situations, this is the only useful application of leading 0. That means that Yellowcat should use two 0 to be correct in the first place, because our fixed maximum number has 3 digits. So good luck with typing 001, 002 etc. every time xD

It's like with Agent 007. That number was designed for maximum 3 digit amount of secret agents.

It's all logic. I don't interpret, I analyse facts and deduce basing on them.

perin106
perin106
103 posts
Justiciar

12. @PLGuy, just to clarify - I didn't say he was correct - I said his logic makes for a good argument

Your argument of "Leading 1 changes the value of a number, leading 0 doesn't." also makes a very good argument point.

And just to play into your very scientific process - true science can never be proven true, it can only be proven not false

PHLHimself
PHLHimself
300 posts
King

13. This is getting a bit out of hand but interesting arguments none the less

perin106
perin106
103 posts
Justiciar

14. Agreed! Very interesting.

Also interesting that both arguments are saying the same thing (0 in front should count towards the count), but just different arguments

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

15. Yeah it's interesting what we talk about, but I don't like that you throw logic to the same bag with other branches of science.

true science can never be proven true, it can only be proven not false

Perin, man, just look at this. That sentence is very smart, I have to agree, but it refers to the whole world of science. We need to be sure that logic is all absolute truth. Logic is human cognitive tool, we use it to explore the science, to create theories, differ which are true, which false.

So the thing people use to prove that theories are not false is logic. Of course tests are very important, but due to them people gather informations to analyse them, deduce what results mean. Imagine what would happen if people would treat logic as the rest of science. Where would that lead scientists? How would you separate science from para-science?

And the core of my argument is different than: "0 in front should count towards the count." It is: "We can't decide on our own if 0 in front counts towards the count, that privilege belongs to the Commissioner."

helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

1 (16) - two cents: there is no reason to use 0X, but I also can't really see a count being dismissed for using them.

perin106
perin106
103 posts
Justiciar

17. 16. Interesting. I do agree with a lot of what you are saying, and absolutely "Logic is human cognitive tool, we use it to explore the science, to create theories"

But I don't agree that "logic is all absolute truth". I think a paired down definition of "logic" is simply "a reasonable way of thinking". Someone could be complete wrong/false, but still have a "logical" argument (perhaps Yellowcat )

anyyyyyywayyyyyyss. 100% correct - the privilege belongs to the commissioner!

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

018. @PlGuy

Leading 1 changes the value of a number, leading 0 doesn't.

Exactly, so it shouldn't matter for the count.
That means that Yellowcat should use two 0 to be correct in the first place, because our fixed maximum number has 3 digits. So good luck with typing 001, 002 etc. every time xD

Thanks for the luck!
And it's only 1 number that has 3 digits, and it's the number we get to the least often, so it doesn't really matter.
Showing 68176-68190 of 78431