ForumsForum GamesKill the King RPG

81 22916
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

KEEP IN MIND THAT ANYONE CAN DROP INTO THIS RPG AT ANY TIME. DON'T BE DISSUADED BY HOWEVER MANY PAGES IN WE ARE. THE MORE THE MERRIER!

Alright, so I like the idea of playing in an RPG, but I never have because I hate how complicated they are. Making a character sheet and all that always just seems like too much work to me...maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but just in case I'm not, I'm creating a simpler RPG where I, as the creator and narrator, have more control, and you, as the player, need only to worry about little things like combat and decision-making. I'd also like to make this unique (I think?) in that you have to learn many of the mechanics of the RPG on your own, so feel free to experiment with what you can do and how certain things work. Let's see how it goes, and feel free to provide feedback....

Darkness has descended across the land. In a stunning coup d'etat, a man named GhostOfNinja has seized the reins of power from the beloved, and now deceased, king. Since then, the feudal society has been turned on its head, with peasants, middle-class merchants, and even the lords of the various counties of the nation rendered helpless to the whims of the self-proclaimed god "GoN". Roll 1d4 and 1d20 to join the fray. You might also want to tell me your gender; I'll just take a wild guess if you don't.

-----------------------------------
REVEALED: Combat mechanics
Combat is turn-based, with the participant with the higher speed going first. Each turn, you attack for damage equal to your attack stat, which is subtracted from the defender's HP. Defending HP is equal to the defense stat. Each time a defender takes an attack, they roll a 1d4; a 4 dodges the attack completely, a 3 cushions the blow and halves the damage taken (rounded down), a 2 takes normal damage, and a 1 represents a critical hit, doubling the damage.

• 81 Replies
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@calwina rolled a 1
Attack: 5
Defense: 5
Speed: 5

calwina rolled a 10, no special powers

Pain. More pain than you've experienced in your entire, painful life. When the king made his decree, you'd done what peasants across the country did. Spat in your lord's face, left the estate. Stupid stupid stupid. He hunted you down, along with all the other peasants he owned. And now you're paying for your insubordination in the castle dungeon. "Nineteen." Your lord's voice prepares you for the searing pain, but as the whip lashes into your back again, you still nearly black out. "Twenty. You may now return to your duties," he says smugly. You get to your feet, and for a second, you feel absolute, blinding rage course through your body, and your fists clench. You want to do something stupid, to give into the anger. CHOICES: Enter combat (Lord base stats: 15[+5] / 15[+5] / 15) or Keep calm or Propose your own solution

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

accept
both points in speed

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@RazorLash
Attack: 5 [+2 for Guard's Sword]
Defense: 5 [+2 for Guard's Armor]
Speed: 7
XP: 0/35

"So..." the gang wonders. "What's our next move, Boss? You interested in the whole rebellion thing? What's our stance there?"
CHOICES: Pro-king or Pro-rebellion or Neutral

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

By the way, @calwina has XP: 0/30. I forgot to include that in my post for him and for some reason it won't let me edit.

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

lets stay neutral for now men. till we have an idea of who's gunna win. don't wanna end up on the losing team right.

Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

(Umm, what kind of equipment is in the armory?)

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@RazorLash

You and your squad elect to remain neutral. A wise decision, because what's most important right now is money. Your group of seven is entirely unemployed; you need to find a job. One of your men suggests becoming bounty hunters: "Boss is pretty good at killing stuff right?" Another suggests an apprenticeship with a blacksmith or some other manufacturer. What job do you take?

@Gogotank

Just choose anything you can think of, it'll be there. Swords, axes, maces, bows, armor, etc.

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

Well an apprenticeship might have been an option.... If we haven't just broke out of prison. So bounty hunting it is.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Give them some bread.

Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

"Ok, time to suit up."

I take a knight armor and dual swords.

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

Sorry guys, I was busy yesterday and never got on. Let's just pretend yesterday never existed yeah?

@RazorLash

You and your motley crew (oooh...yeahhhh....kickstart my heart, hope it never stops) enter a dilapidated building. Sitting at a dusty table is a hooded man. "Well," he mutters, "Certainly not what I expected. The seven of you don't look very professional...let's be honest, I wouldn't trust you to kill a rabbit for me, let alone the delicate targets I have in mind." He starts to get up from the table, clearly intending to leave. Then he focuses on you, and seems to ponder for an instant. "You," he says. "You have promise. Come with me, and pass my test, and I will give you the job. Be warned; failure is akin to death." CHOICES: Take his test or Don't take his test or Propose your own solution
Received 10 XP for surviving one day.
XP: 10/35

@Loop_Stratos

You decide that a little generosity never hurt anybody, and enter the store again to grab some bread for the peasants. After receiving the bread, most of the peasants thank you demurely and scurry away like thieving mice. One of them, however, stays. He clutches his bread and stares at you maliciously, obviously wanting more. He snarls and attacks you, ostensibly intending to kill you and take all the bread in your bakery. CHOICES: Enter combat (Starving peasant base stats: 2/2/2) or Retreat or Propose your own solution
Received 10 XP for surviving one day.
Received 2 XP for generosity.
XP: 12/30

@Gogotank

As you strap on your armor and turn towards the door, set on leaving the king's palace forever, a voice behind you stops you. "Sir Gogo," a servant murmurs obsequiously, "The king requests your presence." CHOICES: Disobey the servant and enter combat (servant stats: 12[+5] / 12[+5] / 12) or Obey the servant and see the king or Propose your own solution
Received 10 XP for surviving a day.
XP: 21/30
Acquired equipment: Knight Armor [+6 Defense], Dual Swords [ +12 Attack]

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Enter Combat.

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@Loop_Stratos

Combat: You ( 10[+2] / 10 / 10 ) vs. Starving Peasant ( 2 / 2 / 2 )
You have higher speed, so you attack first for 12 base damage. Starving Peasant rolls a 1d4: Peasant = 3
Peasant rolls a 3, halving the damage to 6. Peasant takes 6 damage with 2 HP: Peasant dies.

Looking down at the fallen peasant, you shake your head. What has the world come to? Later in the day, a merchant who runs an inn across from your bakery walks in. He, too, has had to...dispose of peasants with nowhere to live. He voices his fears that the king will continue to shift the established order, and that his next law will negatively impact businessmen such as yourselves. And he tells you his plan; he is going to provide free services to all peasants in revolt, effectively supporting the revolution without fighting. Urgently, he implores you to do the same. But you have a business to run, and money doesn't grow on trees....CHOICES: Fund the growing rebellion with free bread or Refuse your services or Propose your own solution
Received 15 XP for dispatching low-level opponent.
XP: 27/30

DICE RESULTS
3 = Peasant
Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

I fund the rebellion.

EDIT: Changed action.

Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts