ForumsForum GamesKill the King RPG

81 22918
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

KEEP IN MIND THAT ANYONE CAN DROP INTO THIS RPG AT ANY TIME. DON'T BE DISSUADED BY HOWEVER MANY PAGES IN WE ARE. THE MORE THE MERRIER!

Alright, so I like the idea of playing in an RPG, but I never have because I hate how complicated they are. Making a character sheet and all that always just seems like too much work to me...maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but just in case I'm not, I'm creating a simpler RPG where I, as the creator and narrator, have more control, and you, as the player, need only to worry about little things like combat and decision-making. I'd also like to make this unique (I think?) in that you have to learn many of the mechanics of the RPG on your own, so feel free to experiment with what you can do and how certain things work. Let's see how it goes, and feel free to provide feedback....

Darkness has descended across the land. In a stunning coup d'etat, a man named GhostOfNinja has seized the reins of power from the beloved, and now deceased, king. Since then, the feudal society has been turned on its head, with peasants, middle-class merchants, and even the lords of the various counties of the nation rendered helpless to the whims of the self-proclaimed god "GoN". Roll 1d4 and 1d20 to join the fray. You might also want to tell me your gender; I'll just take a wild guess if you don't.

-----------------------------------
REVEALED: Combat mechanics
Combat is turn-based, with the participant with the higher speed going first. Each turn, you attack for damage equal to your attack stat, which is subtracted from the defender's HP. Defending HP is equal to the defense stat. Each time a defender takes an attack, they roll a 1d4; a 4 dodges the attack completely, a 3 cushions the blow and halves the damage taken (rounded down), a 2 takes normal damage, and a 1 represents a critical hit, doubling the damage.

• 81 Replies
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@RazorLash

You enter the inn. A woman at a desk gives you a winning smile and says warmly, "Looking to buy a room for the night, sir?" You shake your head to the contrary and, providing a physical description of your target, ask her if she's seen him. She gives you a sharp look, contrasting with her previous hospitality. "I'm sorry, sir. It's against our policy to disclose information about our customers to strangers." CHOICES: Try to persuade her to tell you or Bribe her or Leave the inn or Propose your own solution

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

Is it really? I ask laying a few coins on the desk.
Attempt to bribe

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

I fight for the rebels.

Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

I'll look for a wyvern, I don't want to risk it.

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@RazorLash

The woman slides the coins over to her side of the desk. "Keep talking, " she says breathily. You place a few more coins onto the desk. She smiles. "Room 11. I think he's sleeping in there right now. Don't cause too much of a ruckus." She gives you a spare set of keys for the room. A few minutes later, you're standing over the bed of your sleeping target. This mission almost seems too easy...until you realize that your "target" is nothing but a bunch of pillows under a blanket and he attacks you from behind. CAUGHT BY SURPRISE: Target takes an extra turn to start combat.
Combat: You (7[+2] / 5[+2] / 8 ) vs Target ( 5 / 5 / 5 )
You have higher speed, but Target gets an extra turn due to surprise, so he attacks first for 5 base damage. Roll a 1d4 for your defense.
Received 10 XP for surviving a day.
XP: 39/40

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@Loop_Stratos

The peasant begins to take you to a building that the rebels in this city have taken over and are using as headquarters. On the way there, you have the opportunity to ask him any questions you have about the rebellion. CHOICES: Ask as many questions as you want or Don't ask anything
Received 10 XP for officially joining the rebellion.
XP: 44/35, Level Up to Level 3! For leveling up to Level 3, you may add 3 points, divided as you choose, to any of the categories of Attack, Defense, or Speed. New XP: 9/40

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@Gogotank

After some searching, you've located a group of about four wyverns, all resting on the stone floor. You've managed to find a path that puts you at an elevation slightly above the beasts, meaning you can potentially jump onto the back of one of them, although you have no way of controlling it once you do. You do know that wyverns are highly sensitive to shrill sounds; maybe you should try whistling? CHOICES: Jump onto a wyvern or Whistle or Propose your own solution
XP: 22/35

Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

"I don't want to annoy them, I might hurt myself too! I will try to whistle to them and if one of them wants to come close so I can ride it, I will!"

I whistle towards the wyverns.

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@Gogotank

The wyverns whine as your whistle pierces their sensitive ears. Three of them lie prone on the floor, seemingly unable or unwilling to move. The fourth locates the source of the annoyance, you, and dashes towards you and attacks you.
Combat: You ( 21[+12] / 21[+6] / 20 ) vs Wyvern (5 / 5 / 40 )
Additional notes: Wyverns are highly evasive. When they defend, they roll a 1d6, with the same rules as normal combat except a 4, 5, or 6 all dodges the attack completely.
Wyvern has higher speed, so it attacks first for 5 base damage. Roll a 1d4 for your defense. (cannot retreat due to wyvern's extreme speed and rage)

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant
DICE RESULTS
4 = 1d4
Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord
DICE RESULTS
1 = Defence
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@RazorLash

You roll a 4, dodging the attack completely. You take 0 damage and still have 7 HP.
You attack next for 9 base damage. Target rolls a 1d4: Target = 3
Target rolls a 3, cushioning the blow and halving the damage (rounded down). Target takes 4 damage with 5 HP, lowering him to 1 HP.
Target attacks next for 5 base damage. Roll a 1d4 for your defense.

DICE RESULTS
3 = Target
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@Gogotank

You roll a 1, taking a critical hit and doubling the damage. You take 10 damage with 27 HP, lowering you to 17 HP.
You attack next for 33 base damage. Wyvern rolls a 1d6: Wyvern = 2
Wyvern rolls a 2, taking normal damage. Wyvern takes 33 damage with 5 HP. Wyvern is defeated.

Panting with the thrill of the battle, you deliver what will be a killing blow to the wyvern. However, at the last instant, you strike the wyvern with the pommel of your sword rather than the blade. It collapses at your feet, unconscious. The remaining three wyverns cower before you; hopefully they will be obedient after you have defeated what seems to be their leader? CHOICES: Try to ride one of the three cowering wyverns or Wait for the leader to wake up and try to ride it or Propose your own solution
Received 10 XP for defeating low-level enemy
XP: 32/35

DICE RESULTS
2 = Wyvern
RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant
DICE RESULTS
4 = 1d4
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@RazorLash

You roll another 4, dodging the attack again. "Can't touch this," you taunt with a grin. You take 0 damage and still have 7 HP.
You attack next for 9 base damage. Target rolls a 1d4: 1d4=2
Target rolls a 2, taking normal damage. Target takes 9 damage with 1 HP. Target dies.

You stand over the dead body of the target. A clean kill. You make your way out of the inn and start heading back to collect your bounty. On your way back, you pass an old hag of a woman. She grins at you, showing crooked teeth. "Wouldja do me a favor, young'un?" CHOICES: Do her a favor or Don't do her a favor or Propose your own solution
Received 10 XP for defeating low level opponent
Received an extra 5 XP because you dodged 2 attacks in a row and that was cool.
XP: 54/40, Level Up to Level 4! For leveling up to Level 4, you may add 4 points, divided as you choose, to any of the categories of Attack, Defense, or Speed. New XP: 14/45

DICE RESULTS
2 = 1d4
Showing 61-75 of 81