ForumsWEPRThe Religion Debate Thread

440 33967
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,826 posts
Regent

So yeah, our threads on religion have long since died out, so I figured it would be time to start afresh here!

Do you believe God exists (I know almost all of you don't)? Do you feel religion is important today? Is it a force for good? Discuss everything related to that here!

I'm going to start the ball rolling:

We all know about the rise of ISIS and the terrible acts it perpetuates. Does that show that Islam and religion in general is an awful concept? Is it the people who twist it? Or is it fundamentally an evil force?

Roping in the WERP frequenters
@MageGrayWolf @Kasic @Hahiha @FishPreferred @Doombreed @09philj

• 440 Replies
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
579 posts
Shepherd

I'm still here. I'm just thinking of something that will blow your mind haha

HahiHa
HahiHa
7,574 posts
Grand Duke

@lozerfac3 It has been two days and my mind is still intact

lozerfac3
lozerfac3
579 posts
Shepherd

Yeah its gonna be a while. Be assured. I will be back.

HahiHa
HahiHa
7,574 posts
Grand Duke

@lozerfac3
There's one thing I wanted to show you, but forgot. It's a video by DarkMatter2525 on a believer's relationship with God. I know you're not keen about atheist youtubers, but he makes a point that I find compelling, and even though I am not now claiming that this is how it really is, I find that it would make sense.

Link to video

I also recently read an article that I think indirectly supports his point; it's about so-called bereavement hallucinations, hearing the voice of recently-deceased loved ones. I know it's not the same topic, but both are ultimately about perception of reality.

Link to article

I just wanted to have your opinion on that. You will most certainly disagree, but maybe it can spark a little discussion.

lozerfac3
lozerfac3
579 posts
Shepherd

My first thought when watching the video was that he makes a very good point. I think that some theists, especially Christians, feel as if it is their job to bring people to God when it is actually God who is the one who brings those people to Him. They feel like they fail if people are not automatically converted. I definitely disagree that God is just a character we make up for ourselves, or myself at least. It might be the case for the Christians who take atheists' skepticism personally. They are probably not making up God for themselves but they are making up characteristics of God that are contrary to what God actually is.

Showing 436-440 of 440