ForumsWEPRThe Universe (or Multiverse)

69 12075
Thoth
Thoth
44 posts
Nomad

No, this topic has nothing to do with the existence of a Universe or Multiverse, so if you were looking for something like that ... Begone!

Everything I will say is rhetorical. All of these are "what ifs". And this topic probably makes no sense and is pointless. But still.

So, the question of this topic is:
What would it be like outside of the Universe. What colors (if any)? Would there be light? Or would it be like trying to explain what yellow is to a person who has always been blind?

Please nobody post something like "you can't get outside of the Universe, so hah!" For this purpose I will assume we can.

• 69 Replies
donosld
donosld
70 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post but...

@Estel
A black hole can not allow travel between different universes, it is simply a large warping in OUR spacetime (ie. our universe). What you are PROBABLY thinking of is a wormhole, which was proposed by Einstein. Now there wormholes are predicted to allow us to travel between different regions of spacetime, so I GUESS it would be possible to travel to a different spacetime (ie. another universe). Also your definition of dimension is incorrect. A dimension can be defined as a "degree of freedom" and it is believed that there are 11 dimensions in our universe. (3 dimensions of standard movement, 1 of time, and 6 microdimensions that "strings" can move in. But these dimensions are appromixately a plank length, 10^-34 meters. So that is 10 million, million ,million, million, trillion times smaller than a meter. None of these dimensions could contain other universes because none of them are difference from any of the others. That is just like saying that another universe could exist in the "up-down" dimension.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well, what you have stated, and what I have stated are both totoally different theories. My theory isn't as popular, but I have read it in a book. If you really think about it, both of our theories are similar. It is thought that blackholes can tear open space time thus making a wormhole. There are different kinds of wormholes. I have read about those that can possibly go back in time, or transport you to another spot in THIS universe. Then there are the wormholes that are just powerful enough to rip open space and make universe travelling possible.

Now when you are talking about the dimensions, they are all put into use for THIS universe. I believe that the fifth dimension is that of bending space between to places. I think I have read somewhere that the fifth dimension could possible be the link between universes, but I still fall back on the blackhole/wormhole theory.

donosld
donosld
70 posts
Nomad

@Estel

Einstein proved that space-time can not be "ripped" any wormholes in our spacetime must have been present since its conception. Since black holes were not present at the origin of the universe it is highly unlikely that they would be able to "rip" spacetime and create a path to another universe. The belief that it does rises from the fact that we do not have a theory of quantum gravitation so we don't know exactly what goes on in a black hole, but as I said, according to Einstein the space-time fabric can not be ripped, so unless general relativity is wrong, there are no gateways to other universes inside the singularity of black holes.

jeffwak906
jeffwak906
237 posts
Shepherd

Well, we don't know for sure all of the answers to those questions. I mean, sure there could be color, sound, and all of that, but as we know it, there's not, except for the objects in the Universe (Planets, suns, asteroids, comets, etc.) I would like to have all of those things, but only God can know. It is beyond our ability to know so much, and God created everything.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I don't think there would be any way for us to experience anything outside of our own universe. At the very least, the laws of our universe would not apply - or at least not function in the same way.
I guess the interesting part here is if we managed to get there, would the new laws of physics change us somehow, or would we just implode on ourselves?
It seems logical to think that we might be able to see different color spectra since the speed of light would likely be different. But of course, I can't even imagine what that would "look like." But, then again, if the speed of light is different, then the wavelengths we would perceive would still the same, just classified differently, so I would imagine all of the colors would end up being exactly the same. We might technically be seeing UV light, but really it would just look violet to us, or some other already defined color.
I'm very interested in what Ash mentioned about these colors that don't actually exist. I would really enjoy learning about that.

Moe has it right on. There is no way to even imagine the things outside of our world. Because there would be nothing. Our "WORLD" consists of everything. You can't have something outside of everything.
Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

Well, even if it was possible, then it would be the same as any other part of the universe. It would contain dark, dust, gases, and ice. It would be no different from the universe that we all know and love today.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

That is true, also. It is not possible to defy logic. Like you can't square the circle. It is not that no one has the *ABILITY* to do it, it just doesn't make logical sense. Just like having something outside of everything.

MissingTeddyHanssen
MissingTeddyHanssen
444 posts
Nomad

Well.. The Big Bang is still a theory up to date, right? Or has someone proved it already? 'Cause I really think that theory is still having my faith in the balance.. However, I'm still having a faith of 9 out of 10 and I still thank Him for all the blessings that He gave in my whole entire life.

O

Thoth
Thoth
44 posts
Nomad

Asherlee, our world consists of our view of everything. Outside the universe could be anything. What if, for example, outside the universe you see a man who carries the universe in a brown handbag. He carries himself in his own handbag and on and on in an infinite cycle (I got this from Terry Pratchett). We only know "everything" exists in our world, so why not outside our world as well?

Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

Well, I still believe that there is nothing past the universe. The Big Bang impact can only go so far, there is no way it will go on forever. It has to stop somewhere.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Thoth, it is kind of paradoxical. You are speaking of something outside of our world. But nothing can exist outside of everything. Even if we imagine those things "outside" of our world, it is still in our world because it exists. If it exists it is in our world. Therefore, nothing exists outside of our world.

Thoth
Thoth
44 posts
Nomad

But how do we know that outside the universe is "outside everything"?

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Thoth, you have to understand that if there is an alternate universe, it will be in no way "connected," to our universe. OUR universe is everything, so nothing can be outside it. That simplified, means that nothing different can be in existance if everything is in this universe.

Now Ash is saying that an alternate universe would be outside of humanly known existance. Just like my example earlier, you can't describe "visio," and "color," to a blind person (from birth)

Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

Now Ash is saying that an alternate universe would be outside of humanly known existance. Just like my example earlier, you can't describe "visio," and "color," to a blind person (from birth)

@Estel-
That is exceedingly true but how do you know that there is more to the universe beyond we can "see". there isn't, there is always an end to something. So that means that the Big Bang couldn't go on forvever, so TTHHAATT means that there is no other universe that we don't know about. There is nothing past our universe, end of story.
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Nope! Not end of story yet!

Well there is no way to "know," this, but we have speculations. We don't really "see" much of our universe. We only have vague observations and some sort of visuals of a very miniscule part of our vast universe. Now when I say that the universe is infinite, I am saying that it is foerever expanding. Now you probably think that the boundaries of our universe is expanding, but that would be false. The distance between everything in the universe is expanding.

This is something a frined of mine explained to me

If you put two dust specs in two spots, say 10 feet away from eachother. The distance between the dust specs would be expanding, not the outskirts. Very hard to really understand, but that would be the big picture of the universe expansion.

Showing 16-30 of 69