ForumsWEPRThe Universe (or Multiverse)

69 12072
Thoth
Thoth
44 posts
Nomad

No, this topic has nothing to do with the existence of a Universe or Multiverse, so if you were looking for something like that ... Begone!

Everything I will say is rhetorical. All of these are "what ifs". And this topic probably makes no sense and is pointless. But still.

So, the question of this topic is:
What would it be like outside of the Universe. What colors (if any)? Would there be light? Or would it be like trying to explain what yellow is to a person who has always been blind?

Please nobody post something like "you can't get outside of the Universe, so hah!" For this purpose I will assume we can.

• 69 Replies
Thoth
Thoth
44 posts
Nomad

Well, I guess you cleared that up Asherlee.

But, I am emphasizing on this, how do we really know what exists outside our Universe. Heck, we've never left our solar system, at least not for long (forgive me if we have. I am not a big keeper upper with NASA and those othber spacey ship thingy companies). I like pointing out totally wierd and crazy things, so how do we know our "Universe" is not some expanding pimple on the butt of some giant zebra, and we are micro-organisms. This is very radical, and might belong in the conspiracy theories topics (so don't take this seriously. Seriously). The point is, we can't actually know what it would be like outside the Universe, although speculating about it does have some appeal. I guess you burst that bubble. >.<

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Ha! It is never that easy. Certainly there is a hole in my logic.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

this is a pretty weird topic, ive never really studied on, i have always enjoyed studying about space in Science class, to thoth's question, what color would it be if you were outside of a universe, im guessing white, due to the fact that white is the color that is actully the lack of color, no color at all exists in it, unless Asherlee's multiverse idea would be true

Thoth
Thoth
44 posts
Nomad

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not a color expert, but I don't believe white is the absence of colors. I think it is a color within itself. I would think it would more of a grayish color outside the Universe. White implies light, yet I don't think light would exist. Black implies darkness, yet darkness probably is nonexistent as well. Grayish because there would be no light or dark. No, I'm not saying it would be gray. Just something that feels kinda grayish.

I'm a bit confused by your post Asherlee. You say outside would be another Universe within a Multiverse, meaning something would exist in that Universe, meaning something would exist outside our Universe. Or because there is another Universe outside ours, there still is something that exists. This might all be babble too.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

It has to be nothing more than babble. Not that you're babbling, it's just that it is absolutely impossible to use our language to describe another universe.
Even if we made parallels like "Oh this sky in this universe looks purple," it can't be defined as &quoturple" right? Colors would have a fundamental frequency at which they are picked up by the human eye. But these classifications are only loosely bound in this universe and I just don't see how we can get around the inapplicable nature of language to other worlds/universes.

Also, just to clarify, "white" light as we see it means several different things. Reflected light is white because the object is reflecting most of the color spectrum back at us. So when you see a white refrigerator, then it is really painted with something that reflects pretty much all light (this is why you wear lighter colors in the sun to stay cool).
Emitted light is a bit different. The sun emits what we call white light, but really it is just plain ol' light that can be altered to produce any color by diffraction or some other means of slowing down the light into its component parts.
The distant stars we see are a bit different, too. If you look, you'll see really hot stars that appear blue, and not as hot stars that appear red. This is just the emission spectrum the star is producing, but in the middle of the spectrum is green. Most stars produce light heavily in this spectrum (along with some wavelengths on both sides) but when our eyes try to resolve this light it appears white!
This is an example of how we don't relate in any exact experiential way to the world around us, and I would imagine the same would hold true for any other universes.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I'm a bit confused by your post Asherlee. You say outside would be another Universe within a Multiverse, meaning something would exist in that Universe, meaning something would exist outside our Universe. Or because there is another Universe outside ours, there still is something that exists. This might all be babble too.

My point is there is no outside. EVERYTHING is either in the universe or within the multiverse. There is NOTHING outside of it.

Moe is right about having to use a meta-language to describe those things that are foreign to our universe. But either way, there is nothing outside of the multiverse. If there was something, it would be within the multiverse.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Haha, Asherlee, I did not even read your other posts when I made mine. I was just going off of what was rattling around in my mind. But glad we more or less share the same ideas. ^_^

Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

I said the same thing myself earlier, but in a really concise way c.c

Mac_MK
Mac_MK
752 posts
Nomad

I'm learning more here from you guys/girls then school lol I'll keep reading and might post something good that comes to my mind

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Good, so you understand what I am saying Strat?

Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

I believe so, Ash. At least I understand it in terms of the more simplistic terminology I used when I posted on page 1.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Good, I'm glad I am not the only one.

ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

There probably will be light,well we have a sun and tons of stars so there are probably stars in other universes as well.

clipmaster3
clipmaster3
104 posts
Nomad

If there is said "other universe," how do we know the conventions we've come so accommodated to will still exist? For instance, the physics may be different, they may have no force of gravity. More drastic, maybe this "other universe" wouldn't even be in three dimensions? I don't think I have a point with this post... it's just a thought-provoker-thing.

zombieslayer
zombieslayer
94 posts
Nomad

this is a place of nothing thereof no time no space just the pure essence off nothing itself

it is hard to picture but once you get the correct mindset youll never look at things the same way again

Showing 46-60 of 69