ForumsWEPRShould we use OIL?

117 20504
TROJANS
TROJANS
372 posts
Nomad

do you think we should use oil,well i dont we are hurting our mother earth.pleaase donate money i am but it no making a difference but we nedd a lot of more people to help us and we have ethanol know come on we can change this world

• 117 Replies
chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

Again Ethanol is a good solution. Again, it has a net energy gain of 65%. Again, it does not hurt the corn economy or food prices. Just look at my earlier post. It is basically pure alcohol.

Now hydroelectric may be a better solution as it is completely free (except the actual machinery.) Wind power, however weak is still a good source. Solar power is also good. Steam power from magma and volcanoes is good.

None of these are perfect replacements, but a combination of any of them is good. For example, a car that starts on ethanol, and as it runs wind runs through special screens that lead to turbine. It should also have solar panels for added electricity.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

All this geothermal, ethanol, hydro, and wind power is good, but I personally don't think that we will ever stop using crude oil and fossil fuels. We just have become too Dependant on them. I think we can cut usage in at least half if people quit being lazy slobs and care, but we will never stop using fossil fuels. It is just a fact of life.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

We will be forced to stop when we run out.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Weeman they use field corn for ethanol not sweet corn so the prices for corn wont go up, at least not the type we eat.

Actually, people eat all types of corn. I have i know, and same with other people. Not everyone eats ONLY sweet corn. Also, in one commercial, they are also going to use some sweet corn for Ethanol.

So i think that overall Ethanol will be a failure and will be the ramifications will be the same or worse as using fossil fuels. We should only go to it when we are completely,dead, and dry of all fossil fuels.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

We cant stop using oil until we find an alternative resource...
Everything runs on it.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

We cant stop using oil until we find an alternative resource...

That's the thing, we HAVE found alternative resources. It is just hard to implement them and is an expensive change. Some examples of alternative resources: Wind energy, tidal energy, solar energy, hydroelectric energy, etc. The list goes on. We have plenty of other sources, nature has given us many ways to capture energy. It just isn't the most cost effective and easy thing to do yet.
chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

Corn is not the only ethanol provider. There are several more efficient ways to get ethanol, the best being sugarcane. There are cars that run solely on ethanol. the government has lowered the required amount of ethanol required in gas. They are also coming up with a way to turn cellulose waste into ethanol. This includes corn ears, stems of any plant, leaves of any plant, etc. I will also remind you that you are probably filling your car up with E-10 ethanol.

We have plenty of other sources, nature has given us many ways to capture energy. It just isn't the most cost effective and easy thing to do yet.

We need money to put toward those things. We are spending 40 billion dollars a month on Iraq. I can see that money put to better use...

As I said earlier, we should combine different methods as none currently available are alone equal to gas.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

We need money to put toward those things. We are spending 40 billion dollars a month on Iraq. I can see that money put to better use...

I agree! We could definitely use that money to put it towards something more productive. Like green energy. Yay!
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I agree! We could definitely use that money to put it towards something more productive. Like green energy. Yay!

No. That money needs to stay with Iraq. That is America's top priority right now. The Iraq budget is already to small for the job. We can't just cut for for the green party. That would have, possibly, devastating ramifications.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

We could have alternative cars and have probably many cures for diseases. It is sad that we are spending so much money and losing so many lives in Iraq.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

No. That money needs to stay with Iraq. That is America's top priority right now. The Iraq budget is already to small for the job. We can't just cut for for the green party. That would have, possibly, devastating ramifications.

Hmm.... well this could just get into a war argument now... lol. But I do think that we need to start working on making Iraq more independent so that we can start removing our presence there. Then we can start channeling that money into things that actually make sense for our country. Like making us sustainable, instead of barging into other countries where we don't belong in the first place... but again, that is another topic ;-)
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Ok this will be the last post because your right, we don;t want a war argument.

But yes, we do need to get independent from Iraq. But that will take time (past 2009 mind you). The Iraqi government needs to get there act together before we can leave. But until then, we can't just drain the troops already small amount of resources.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Then we can start channeling that money into things that actually make sense for our country. Like making us sustainable, instead of barging into other countries where we don't belong in the first place... but again, that is another topic ;-)

Wow, I never thought I would find someone with the same view on that issue. We need to take care of our own backyard. Now, to get this back on topic, what alternative fuel do you think is the best?
WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

Now, to get this back on topic, what alternative fuel do you think is the best?

I think we should go back to the days of old and use horses and carriages instead of taxis.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

what alternative fuel do you think is the best?

I don't think any other alternative energy really has the benefits of natural energy. The sun isn't going to stop shining, the wind isn't going to stop blowing. It is a reliable way to get energy, and it is dependable.
Showing 61-75 of 117