ForumsWEPRShould we use OIL?

117 20507
TROJANS
TROJANS
372 posts
Nomad

do you think we should use oil,well i dont we are hurting our mother earth.pleaase donate money i am but it no making a difference but we nedd a lot of more people to help us and we have ethanol know come on we can change this world

• 117 Replies
SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

@WeeMan147
You apparently don't understand how energy works. Nuclear fission is the dream technology because it would be able to produce massive quantities of clean cheap energy from hydrogen (the most prevalent atom in the entire universe). This energy could in turn power anything from electric cars to lights in your home much the same way that fossil fuels as well as other types of power plants currently do. It isn't a working technology and so nobody should advocate that we put all our faith in it now, but it's a potential solution to problems that arise down the road.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I think we need a society that cares in the first place

SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

That's never stopped anyone before, why should we let it now?

MrHam
MrHam
11 posts
Nomad

Some one better tell Colonel Potter that people are still kicking dead horses so he better hide Sophie. Come on folks, people like yourself are ostriches with your head buried in the sand just waiting to get eaten alive. Those of us that can see the light understand that that is a low priority right now because even if we figured out how to do it, it probably will NEVER be sold to consumers. So instead of sitting around with our thumbs in our sphincters waiting for some scientist to solve this problem that many people have been working on their whole life, we could be working on actual solutions.

Quite true. There is this stigma attached to the word 'nuclear' whereupon people DIE in a HUGE BALL OF RADIOACTIVE FIRE or DIE by NUCLEAR RADIATION which causes MUTATION and SUPER-CANCER. So as long as people associate nuclear power with COMPLETE AND UTTER ANNIHILATION, nuclear power, no matter how clean and efficient and cheap and easy it is, we'll never get enough support to use it without excessive b****ing from the public. Unless you're France.
kamoro
kamoro
198 posts
Nomad

But nuclear fusion could also result in nuclear explosions...

Electromagnetic fields contain the fusion, which basically is a continuous nuclear explosion. But if they were to fail, the reactor could blow us all up. I've never really thought about that before.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Cars can also run on biomass. But as long as oil is around why bother changing? Its not worth it; at least not till technology makes biofuel more efficient.

Because this is a dying energy source. We cannot always depend on it. So we might as well start phasing it out as soon as possible, so that in the process we can at least try reducing our carbon footprint sooner rather than later. It just does not make sense to put so much dependence on something that we know is going to be depleted.
drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

I got a question. Why doesn't North America, better known as, United States of America, not use Ethanol? I heard it works. Could be rumors but in this crisis, what do we got to lose? Just get a couple hundred people use Ethanol, wait a week or two and see if it works as efficient. There, we can be more modern for another 50 years.

justgotpwned
justgotpwned
1,166 posts
Peasant

We have enough oil to last us 100 years. But the pollution will be awful if we keep using it. We should have all solar and electric cars by then.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Have the Simpsons taught you nothing. Episode with the MonoRail. They figured out that they could cut the power. However, they made it solar-powered. See how this can bite you back? Also, this will cost a crud load of money. Adding to your crappy economy, not going to happen Pwned.

SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

Why doesn't North America, better known as, United States of America, not use Ethanol?

Ethanol is extremely inefficient when compared to oil in terms of energy invested to energy returned. I used to have a source for this but I'm not quite awake enough to dig it up so you'll have to take my word for now but oil (and gasoline) have something like a 30:1 ratio while ethanol has at best around 3:1 and at worst (using corn mainly) something slightly above 1:1 meaning in essence to produce one joule of energy you need to spend about 1 joule (while not necessarily true due to octane and other things this is usually easier for me to think about as taking a gallon of gas to make a gallon of ethanol). Essentially, using the current system to produce ethanol in the U.S. right now we're doing little better then running on a treadmill as far as energy is concerned (worse if you factor in man hours invested and what those scientists could have done in other power fields).
dizzyk
dizzyk
423 posts
Nomad

Ethanol isn't really the best alternative to oil (as Superz.) stated. A truly renewable resource, like wind or solar, is the way we should go. They may not be perfect right now, neither was gasoline for cars when first created, but they are the best possibility in my opinion.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

If we don't then what are we gona use. right now have have to, untill they come up with sometihng better anyway.

Showing 106-117 of 117