ForumsThe TavernFreak of Nature!

36 7523
kareybh
kareybh
158 posts
Nomad

Out in our garden we have cucumbers, melons, tomatoes, etc. Well , we picked this fruit off the cucumber plant that resembled a melon. It looks like a honeydew melon on the inside but tastes like a cucumber. Someone suggested that it could be a hybrid/crossbreed. Any other ideas of what it could be?
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k354/fathomknows/DSCN0456.jpg

• 36 Replies
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Ricador Said: But i don't mean to crush any optimism out there

Its okay Ricador, you just crushed all of my hopes and dreams...

I think that if you planted the seeds from it, that it would grow back the same because it doesn't matter what the seed looks like, its whats inside that counts
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Yes but they have the yellowish tint around the edges that cucumbers have. And in the area where the seeds are, there are the three slits that form a triangle, which is unique to the cucumber (I think).

But i dunno, maybe the will be

meloncumbers

I am probably just being my usual "expect the worse so whatever happens you will not be disappointed" self.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Meloncumber....its PERFECT!

You should grow a ton of these and then sell them to like...a specialty food store for 10$ each...you'd make TONS of money

kareybh
kareybh
158 posts
Nomad

the seeds of a cucumber are like two facing two, while the melon are the four facing four, and have the open gap in the middle. i'm not sure if it will sell, but you cant blame me for trying =)

i believe that we have 3 more growing on the cucumber plant just like this, and we are drying the seeds from the fruits that we've already picked so that we can plant them later. they will most likely be the same as these..

Meloncumber is a great name btw. i've been toying with other names:

cucumber melon, melumber, honeycuke, cunnydew..

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I like Cucumelon.

madgamer131
madgamer131
671 posts
Nomad

checked out the ebay page, it looks more like a watermelon more than anything when it's whole. o, and yeah, meloncumber sounds a lot better than a honeycuke, which is also what it says on the ebay page. seriously, hand one of these to a scientist to find out whats up

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Cucumelon? More like CooCooMelon.

madgamer131
madgamer131
671 posts
Nomad

PLANT THE LEFTOVER SEEDS AND PUBLICIZE THIS THING! you could become a millionare by starting a new type of fruit/vegetable/whateveritis
and selling it to produce stores

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

you could become a millionare by starting a new type of fruit/vegetable/whateveritis

That's not like breeding pets. XP
madgamer131
madgamer131
671 posts
Nomad

haha whatever, u get the point

me44
me44
154 posts
Peasant

Yeah carlie you could do that. But the produce would get maybe exspired by the time it reach's the buyer. If you took it to a market or something of that sort that would work.

razzmonk
razzmonk
496 posts
Nomad

It's so round for a cucumber, weird indeed.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

Wow that's weird. Looks tasty, though.

kareybh
kareybh
158 posts
Nomad

i have a friend in the biology department at the college, ULM. i'll bring it to him the next time i get a chance and see what he has to say about it.

and we have a local farmer's market like 10 minutes away. i agree that ppl would prolly buy this there

Warmonger
Warmonger
91 posts
Nomad

Dunno what it is its deffinately not a hybrid

Showing 16-30 of 36