ForumsWEPRRed Arrows are banned from the 2012 olympics.

54 19439
volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Most people have heard of the Red Arrows, for those who haven't, they are the world class aerobatic team of the Royal Air Force.

They have been banned from doing a performance at the 2012 Olympics in London. The reason being is that the idea is "too British" and "too linked to the military" They think it will offend other countries.

What do you all think.

• 54 Replies
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Who cares if it is to British.

The games are in London so they have every right to make it as British as they want.

Plus the red arrows are amazing. Almost as spectacular as the Blue Angels and the Thunder Birds. It is a sin to ban something that amazing.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

China wouldn't agree with this opinion,since they made a very Chinese Olympics.The British need something to show off that year,and I don't know what they could possibly do other than have these guys perform.I'm sure they will find something.All I know is that the Chinese Olympic ceremony might not be topped for a very long time,unless they invent something in the next 4 years.Also does anyone know the next time the U.S. will be holding the Olympics?

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

The whole point about the Olympics is to cheer on your home country. I think that people are being too sensitive. That doesn't offend me. Besides that, it is showing patriotism. It is not offensive in any way.

MrMonkey3
MrMonkey3
495 posts
Nomad

@crimsonblade55 there debating where to have the next olympics after london theres four choices i only remeber that it could be in tokyo or chicago so possibly very soon

I agree it's terrible china got to do what they wanted I think if a country doesnt like it they can boycott, i agree with thepyro222 the olympics is about national pride i'd be upset if i went to the olympics and they DIDNT perform

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

That's kind of weird. If the UK hosts it then they should be able to at the opening.

soakerman
soakerman
658 posts
Nomad

the world is bad now the British killed in Afghanistan aren't even driven threw the streets it will offend the Muslim people there or earth is being destroyed by idiots saying that the smallest thing offending people should be banned like Reid's Dairy on Reid's dairy had the cow showing it was open by the side walk a guy walked by and tripped over it sprained his collar bone and they took all the other cows away it was his fault why should so much be done? to prevent idiots from sueing them for the slightest thing.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

They're planes flying in the sky. What they are linked to should have no effect on the Olympic games. I mean, look at China's military march during the opening games...

J4son
J4son
405 posts
Nomad

Artisitic modernist impression. It doesn't matter, and it doesn't effect the world in any signifigant way. Why even bring it up sometimes you know? But it's just an air show.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

it doesn't effect the world in any signifigant way.

Of course it does. It brings jobs to people. Because of all the air shows put on. It is also so amazing it totally deserves to be brought up.
volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Soakerman is right, the country is scared that someone will sue them, it isn't the first thing which they have stopped the military from doing because it may offend the Muslim community. In some Air Bases they are banned from wearing their uniform in public, even if they have just come out of work.

I don't see how this country can have any pride in it's self, never mind the rest of the world.

soakerman
soakerman
658 posts
Nomad

http://www.moonbattery.com/red-arrows-2.jpg
Look at that they are wingtip to wing tip that is amazing skill

dizzyk
dizzyk
423 posts
Nomad

I can understand not wanting to offend other countries as this is an event meant to united people, but I don't know if I agree that the performance of the Red Arrows would have been offensive to others. I suppose it is wise to err on the sid of caution.

volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Well lots of stories have appeared about chinas opening ceremony, such as fake fireworks and fake singer, they didn't really care what others would think and everyone else is'nt really that bothered either.

purpledinosaur
purpledinosaur
679 posts
Peasant

they are like the americans blue angels wow that is so cool I have been to airshows lived on a marine base and I have done a lot it is wrong that tey are banned

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I think that The whole banning te red arrows is crap. Look how much influence that China put into the olympics. Did you hear that they are also banning baseball because it is too "american"?

Showing 16-30 of 54