ForumsWEPRRed Arrows are banned from the 2012 olympics.

54 19438
volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Most people have heard of the Red Arrows, for those who haven't, they are the world class aerobatic team of the Royal Air Force.

They have been banned from doing a performance at the 2012 Olympics in London. The reason being is that the idea is "too British" and "too linked to the military" They think it will offend other countries.

What do you all think.

• 54 Replies
volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

I live near a few RAF bases, and I saw 4 of these guys come over my house, even then they put on a show for no reason by flying really close in a diamond formation.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I personally dont think that they will be banned. They are the only thing us brits have which could better the chinese ceremony. I myself am going up to RAF Scampton on the 3rd of September to have a go on the Hawks they fly. So maybye il be the one flying over your house volcanboy.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I hope they don't get banned, I like to see them. I like Air Shows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/thepyro222/TheSicknessisRising.png

Join the Sickness

Shark7996
Shark7996
373 posts
Nomad

I just can't wait til next Olympics, when China isn't in control of it. China's being a power freak!

infernacron
infernacron
1,380 posts
Nomad

i agree with shark they are mad with their power!

kingofgames
kingofgames
610 posts
Farmer

oh man this sounds bad why did they got banned?

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I personally dont like opening ceremonies. Spectacular as this years ceremony was, it just served to enforce Chinas confidence as a major power. I think these ceremonies are far too nationalistic. I belive that the opening ceremonies should be about sport, the real focus of the olympics. In recent years it has become far too political. It has just become a staging ground for countries to show off their percievd power which is not a good thing especially when the focus of the games should be sport. However as this is the case and im sure it will be in the 2012 olympics in my country- GBR then i dont see why us Brits have to make the exception. They say its too militaristic. This to me is nonsense as the Red Arrows , despite the fact they are run by the RAF are a purely acrobatic team. Secondly the Hawks they fly have never been used in active service, only to either train pilots in intermediate fast jet training or for use in the Red Arrows themselves. I would perhaps be more inclined with the statement of it being too militaristic if they used harriers or tornadoes which are currently in service in the Gulf conflict but they are not so i think this is nonesense. This reminds me of the order that RAF pilots were forbidden to wear their uniform off base for fear they might offend people. This to me is also nonesense and it is political correctness gone mad, but o well that is new labour for you. Thirdly they say it is too British but as this is how all opening ceremonies are these days i think its stupid for us to be the only country to have an opening ceremony which isnt true to our own culture. Fourthly i dont see the problem with using the red arrows as they have been used before in international tournaments. For example in Euro 96 they were used and no one complained. In short i think they should be used as they are spectacular and maybye the one thing which could better this years opening ceremonies. If people dont like it they are definitely a minority and in my opinion, the enjoyment of the majority of people shouldnt be taken away becasue its 'too militaristic' or 'too british'.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

I kind of agree with Woody, but I definitely think that they should be allowed to perform. If you are the host country, you should be able to show off a little, although I think China may have overdid it. Maybe they could do an olympics design.

volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

I completely agree with you all the way there Woody.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Cheers m8ey. i think its seen as a different thing by us Brits. Everything is so overly politically correct over here. Also what true Brit doesnt like the Red Arrows eh?

Shlackalam
Shlackalam
8 posts
Nomad

This is kind of a stupid thing for them to do.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Thats a good idea volcan. I will sign it and mebe put on my profile to spread the word.

volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Everyone, please read and sign the petition if you agree.

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

what the hell are red arrows anyway?

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

Well, some may think that the Red Arrows performing might be the UK showing off its military, and the Olympics is supposed to be where everyone puts down their differences for 2 weeks in the name of competition.

Showing 31-45 of 54