ForumsWEPRRed Arrows are banned from the 2012 olympics.

54 19440
volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Most people have heard of the Red Arrows, for those who haven't, they are the world class aerobatic team of the Royal Air Force.

They have been banned from doing a performance at the 2012 Olympics in London. The reason being is that the idea is "too British" and "too linked to the military" They think it will offend other countries.

What do you all think.

• 54 Replies
volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Yes, but these differences should only be nehative ones, not factors which the country is proud of.

Polcher
Polcher
95 posts
Nomad

at the first page when u said those planes werent use to drop bombs your wrong...those are f-16s and f-15s..there heavy fighter that can carry at least 2 500 pds bombs are 1000 punder..

volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

those are f-16s and f-15s..there heavy fighter that can carry at least 2 500 pds bombs are 1000 pounder..

No they're not, they're not even american! They are Hawk T1/1As and are used to train jet pilots for the Royal Air Force.
Julius47108
Julius47108
16 posts
Nomad

They shouldn't ban them, it doesn't matter if they military or to British. The olympics are gonna be held in London so make them as British as possible that what the opening ceremony is all about anyway your country.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

No they're not, they're not even american! They are Hawk T1/1As

He was agreeing with you volcan, you just isread the post. Although Hawks were used int he 70s as ground attack aircraft but they got outdated pretty soon bythe harrier which took over its role.
bballdunker20
bballdunker20
418 posts
Nomad

they banned it because it was "too british"?!?!?!

WHAT?!?!?!?

volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

He was agreeing with you volcan, you just misread the post

Ok then, apologies Polcher.
Akusonas
Akusonas
11 posts
Nomad

I think thats rediculous.
Just because the Red Arrows are from the UK doesn't mean they have to do something related to britain. And as for the military relation, i think its obsurd. Just because its a jet, doesn't mean its military ¬¬

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Well it is a military grade aircraft. Its used in intermediate jet training and in the 7s it was used as a ground attack aircraft(even though it was never deployed on active duty). Altho i understand your point. I think its the symbolic meaningof the thing. The pilots are all members of the RAF so they are military. however i am with you on this.

Showing 46-54 of 54