ForumsSupport Forum"Fuzzy time" option?

68 11781
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

With the current suggestions of being able to change your timezone and have times on AG displayed accordingly (link to that thread), I'm gonna throw an idea out here - fuzzy time.

Integrate an option to have the time displayed as a relative figure.
For instance, instead of it being the fixed time format (like Posted Oct 4, '08 at 4:07pm), it would relate to when it was posted compared to when you view it.
Options can be such as 'Just now', 'A few minutes ago', 'Ten minutes ago', 'Fifteen minutes ago', 'Half an hour ago', 'One hour ago', 'Two hours ago', 'One day ago', 'Two days ago', 'One month ago', and so on and on and on - the gaps between each fuzzy definition of time becoming larger and larger, because it becomes more and more irrelevant when it was posted.

Another site I'm on has this integrated, and I find it really useful - I'm one of those people who doesn't constantly now what date or time it is, and the 'fuzzy date' format allows me to ignore the calculations and just react to how long ago the post I'm reading was made.

I hope I explained the idea properly, and I would like to hear your opinions. It's probably not something that will be implemented soon either way, but would others find it as useful as I do?

• 68 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Shintetsu, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't cause lagging... No more than the current display of date does, anyway. *points back to the Carlie-quote*

But yes, it is more valuable in the forums.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

I totally agree. Fuzzy time is awesome! It would be a great asset to AG! but if AG gets it people will start asking for timezones so that will get annoying.

Maybe if we had the options of Realtime, fuzzy and both? might help...

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

has this not been put into action right now? Lock please?

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

aww... I was hoping this was a suggestion asking for a button that if you press it a bunch of fuzzy animals come onto your screen and do the "can't touch this" dance.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Lige, lol.

Anyways, i do like this idea! good job zophia!

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

aww... I was hoping this was a suggestion asking for a button that if you press it a bunch of fuzzy animals come onto your screen and do the "can't touch this" dance.

I was actually expecting something to that extent, weird, especially since your my wurst enemy. . . .u ham (get it?) LAWL
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

has this not been put into action right now? Lock please
Ehhh? What the fish, thoad? What do you mean?

Also, lol at Lige. ^^
And thanks, skater!

I totally agree. Fuzzy time is awesome! It would be a great asset to AG! but if AG gets it people will start asking for timezones so that will get annoying.
They are already talking about that, it was that thread that made me come up with this idea.
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Zophia with the zinger! Yeah! I am loving it!

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

What do you mean?

well, it says 15 minutes ago, just now, etc. etc. on the forums. So isn't this already in action?
seize_the_element
seize_the_element
757 posts
Shepherd

You've got my vote. Very good idea, How come I didn't think of this idea before?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

well, it says 15 minutes ago, just now, etc. etc. on the forums. So isn't this already in action?

The problem is that is not in action inside the threads.

Posted Oct 9, '08 at 5:42am

Should be 'osted an hour ago'
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@thoad:
Yes, out in the forums you can see how long ago the last post was made, but this suggestion is about getting that feature into the individual threads, so that we can quickly get an overview of how fast a thread is developing and stuff like that.
It really is just because many of us are to lazy to compare the AG clock with our respective timezone and figure it out on our own.

@seize_the_element:
Yay, one more for the suggestion. ^^
No one has really had anything against it, and Carlie thinks it's a great idea~
*is slightly proud of suggestion*

How come I didn't think of this idea before?
I can't remember how many times I've thought that about various good suggestions. There's never an answer.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

I thought of 5; 4 got axed, one is still pending. Look at MY luck lol

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I thought of 5; 4 got axed, one is still pending. Look at MY luck lol
And that is why I didn't post a suggestion before I had one I couldn't find any real cons to~
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

I say we bring it! Fuzzy Time!

lulz for Lige

We're proposing we have fuzzy time, but what happens to timezones? Will people be able to change that?

Showing 16-30 of 68