ForumsSupport Forum"Fuzzy time" option?

68 11783
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

With the current suggestions of being able to change your timezone and have times on AG displayed accordingly (link to that thread), I'm gonna throw an idea out here - fuzzy time.

Integrate an option to have the time displayed as a relative figure.
For instance, instead of it being the fixed time format (like Posted Oct 4, '08 at 4:07pm), it would relate to when it was posted compared to when you view it.
Options can be such as 'Just now', 'A few minutes ago', 'Ten minutes ago', 'Fifteen minutes ago', 'Half an hour ago', 'One hour ago', 'Two hours ago', 'One day ago', 'Two days ago', 'One month ago', and so on and on and on - the gaps between each fuzzy definition of time becoming larger and larger, because it becomes more and more irrelevant when it was posted.

Another site I'm on has this integrated, and I find it really useful - I'm one of those people who doesn't constantly now what date or time it is, and the 'fuzzy date' format allows me to ignore the calculations and just react to how long ago the post I'm reading was made.

I hope I explained the idea properly, and I would like to hear your opinions. It's probably not something that will be implemented soon either way, but would others find it as useful as I do?

• 68 Replies
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

*few* I was just looking for this thread.....took me ages to find it!

Any way's, I do like this idea, but what if it allso said when It was posted?

I mean I live in AG time, so it dosn't effect me much, and it is easy for me to keep track of it. Fuzzy time would work for every one, but I like the old way as well.

So could it show both? Pwtty pwz?

dragoncrusher
dragoncrusher
773 posts
Peasant

I like this idea, but I agree with Carlie that we need to first fix the time zones.

But good idea! I am totally for it!

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

i didn't really get what she ment by "fix" the time zones.....i mean they aren't broken......er.........are they?

Jack8black8
Jack8black8
115 posts
Nomad

i agree this would be useful if you were reading comments and u havent been on in a long time.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Well I haven't read anything, just want to state my backing of this idea. Its nice, simple, and would save me a ton of time figuring out when things were posted!

96blackwolf
96blackwolf
30 posts
Nomad

i like your idea i get what your trying to say but i dont exacly get why it means that much if AG disides to do it well great but its not the most thing to be consernded about right now

ParalysisTerror
ParalysisTerror
793 posts
Nomad

"Fuzzy Time" jaja, funny

nice idea btw

96blackwolf
96blackwolf
30 posts
Nomad

whats btw mean and yea its good idea

ParalysisTerror
ParalysisTerror
793 posts
Nomad

it's an acronym for the words "by the way"

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Yay my idea was resurrected. ^^
By slightly short posts but still~

@blackwolf:
None of the ideas we're giving the staff is really meant for immediate implementation. But since a lot of users agree that this would be nice and work well, it's one of those things that might just actually make it once Shpigford gets some extra time for stuff like that.

Again, yay for people liking my idea. *minor proud feeling*

ParalysisTerror
ParalysisTerror
793 posts
Nomad

Yay my idea was resurrected.

it was? I didn't know it died XD
deth4
deth4
764 posts
Nomad

was brought back when she posted link in other thread.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Ok, to you guys up there, try and stay on topic.

But i did think of one down side, and it is very minor.

If i was trying to talk about a glitch for example, and i said it happened to every one at around 1 A.M. Ag time. I could no longer say that, becuse every thing would be all fuzzy you know?

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

See, that it why it should be possible to switch between the fuzzy view and the standard view. In an easy way.

I like the way, where any given fuzzy time can be changed to the set time by clicking on it.
Look.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Snapshot2008-11-2920-42-00.jpg
It remains fuzzy until you click one, then that particular one stays as set time until next time the page loads.

Or you could just have the fuzzy time turned off and view everything as normal.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Wow. Ok, well.........I tryed makeing an argument, but if you can just switch it by clicking it....lol

Showing 46-60 of 68