ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60316
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
Vixen
Vixen
52 posts
Nomad

Sounds good to me.

Futuro
Futuro
108 posts
Nomad

They are only allowed to search lockers if they have reasonable doubt. Again this is a little hazy, but if they can present enough evidence if they are brought to a grand jury, they will be always acquitted. The first thing a school has to do is protect the students and provide a safe learning environment.

That is what I have been trying to say this whole time. The teachers have the right to search a locker if they have enough evidence. If they don't, then they could be sued or something. The teachers have to have a specific amount of evidence.
Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

I guess i can under stand that they wanna keep drugs and weapons outta the schools but a kids locker is his own personal space. I just seems like they'll stone ya when you're tryin' to be so good no matter if your a grade A student or not. I'm okay with them looking inside the locker but not inside anything that is in there. If its in plain sight it should be okay but i don't agree with them searching bookbags and whatnot.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

The teachers have the right to search a locker if they have enough evidence. If they don't, then they could be sued or something. The teachers have to have a specific amount of evidence.

or reasonable doubt.
parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

Maybe, if you behave well and have good grades and are always happy and stuff like that, teachers have no reason to check your locker. but if you are always fighting, deppressed and things like that, I'D check them.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Maybe, if you behave well and have good grades and are always happy and stuff like that, teachers have no reason to check your locker. but if you are always fighting, deppressed and things like that, I'D check them.

well, the teachers cannot check on a whim, but they can act on rumors or information provided by the students.
Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

I dont think if you got into a lot of fights they would check your locker. What are you gonna carry? Fighting gloves?
Xavier1
Xavier1
671 posts
Nomad

That is hardly a fair thing to say. Why is it that this kind of generalisation is okay but then as soon as a religion or race is targetted its worse? Also, it's not like depression is a choice. And some students find it hard to do well in school.
GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

if you do not have something to hide why would you oppose it? i have nothing to hide in my car and if i was pulled over and asked if they could search it, depending on the tone and attitude of the officer mind you, i would allow it. probably the only people to throw a fit about this are people who have something to hide

LuciferSatanis
LuciferSatanis
179 posts
Nomad

have nothing to hide in my car and if i was pulled over and asked if they could search it, depending on the tone and attitude of the officer mind you, i would allow it. probably the only people to throw a fit about this are people who have something to hide

cops can search your car once they pull you over anyway.
Xavier1
Xavier1
671 posts
Nomad

if you do not have something to hide why would you oppose it? i have nothing to hide in my car and if i was pulled over and asked if they could search it, depending on the tone and attitude of the officer mind you, i would allow it. probably the only people to throw a fit about this are people who have something to hide

I alone prove you wrong completely because I have nothing to hide in my locker but I would feel very uncomfortable with a teacher going through it.
nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

Well searching lockers without ur permission is complete b.s... They shouldn't be aloud, and actually aren't aloud if ur school makes u pay for the rent of using it.
Person in school got caught with marijuana in his locker. About 2 O's (stupid kid, why would u put so much in your locker lol) were found in his coat... He went to trial, and told them squarely that he did not know of, or allow for the locker check from another teacher. They had to throw all the evidence out, and was flushed I believe (he was pissed about that). Anyways now im friends with him, and he bought a jacket with too many zippers. He got searched the other day and the teacher just gave up because he got to confused about which ones he had searched, and which ones he hadn't lol. He keeps it all in there now...
If your paying rent for your locker it is understandable that unless there is a strong smell or complete evidence coming from ur locker (and by smell i mean the smell of MJ) then they should not be aloud to check your locker. If locker is given to you for free, then it is school property and therefore they are fully aloud to check your locker..

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

If you are using some one else's property, yeah, they have every right. A school can get sued big time if students get away with selling drugs in their halls. There are certain things not allowed in school and there must be some form of controll over what goes on. It is better to search and prevent than to not search and regret.

Futuro
Futuro
108 posts
Nomad

If you are using some one else's property, yeah, they have every right. A school can get sued big time if students get away with selling drugs in their halls. There are certain things not allowed in school and there must be some form of controll over what goes on. It is better to search and prevent than to not search and regret.

If they really need to search someones locker, then they would have to have a warrant for it. But, if they are just searching to see if drugs are there, then they could set up a camera in the hallways. My old school had crack-heads and once we got a camera, they drug use dropped about 12 percent (which was a lot).
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

if the school has solid reasons to belive that an individual has illegal items, like drugs, guns, etc, then the school, i believe, has every right to go through the locker. rather be safe than sorry.

Showing 166-180 of 273