ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60424
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

Whats the big deal right? If you dont got nothing to hide, then their shouldnt be a problem

donpiet
donpiet
755 posts
Peasant

@armony: that would mean, that a person can be searched without any warrant in a public place. this is not true.
you have the right to use the locker and are responsible for it. so you have grant permission to open it.
its like a rented room

Grandslam
Grandslam
144 posts
Nomad

I think they should only if necessary. But other than that, no.

Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

They have every right, it is on their property, you pay nothing for the service. I'm amazed they give everyone lockers.

donpiet
donpiet
755 posts
Peasant

They have every right, it is on their property, you pay nothing for the service

if being on ones property would mean you lose all your rights, the police could search you in any public place they want.
luckilly this is not allowed(at least not where i live).

does it also mean postman can open your letters, they have it in their bag so they can do whatever they want with it
Siouxper
Siouxper
1 posts
Nomad

The school should be allowed to search lockers assuming they have everyone's best interest in mind.

minno
minno
93 posts
Peasant

My school has several signs posted that explicitly say that the lockers are the school's property and the school can search them whenever it wants. I really don't see any problem with the policy.

nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

We at my old school had to pay for a locker. 20 bucks per year for a lock and the locker itself. Of course I paid for it, which is why i think that locker searches are fully against your rights, as this is your property for the year. Unless they had a police warrant i would tell them to f'ck off!

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Of course schools have the right to search lockers. They're school property.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

Yes, it's like police not being able to search cars; Not safe!

Pau11Wa11
Pau11Wa11
527 posts
Nomad

i think that they should be able to search lockers

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

lol.
yeah.
they should be able to search the lockers, it's a matter of security. they do random searches at my school, but -- believe me -- we get wind of it before it's a problem for me. Nice thing about having a former dealer who pays of the security guards, never really have to worry about anything.

but yeah, if anything is inside the school, they have the right to search it. that's not really a problem, and it'll never be changed against their will.

johnny294
johnny294
284 posts
Nomad

you shouldnt search lockers but i think they should search back packs

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

it's a matter of security. they do random searches at my school, but -- believe me -- we get wind of it before it's a problem for me. Nice thing about having a former dealer who pays of the security guards, never really have to worry about anything.
How can you say that it's a matter of security and then go on to point out how it doesn't help anything?

but yeah, if anything is inside the school, they have the right to search it.
Funny - no they don't. Fourth amendment.

you shouldnt search lockers but i think they should search back packs
Doesn't that seem a tad contradictory?
balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

in their persons, houses, papers, and effects

Government property.
Showing 196-210 of 273