ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60319
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

We don't own the lockers, and they are school property, so they have evry right to search them.

valkyrie1119
valkyrie1119
1,720 posts
Nomad

Well if they have the right to search lockers, young drug attics will realize that they won't be able to get away with stashing drugs in their lockers ever, eliminating the use of drugs at school.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

There wouldn't even be a controversy here if people didn't stick weird stuff in their lockers. I only keep school supplies, gym strip, and a backpack. If a hobo wanted to search my locker, I'd be fine with it. If everyone just leaves their Playboy mags and booze at home, then no one gets in trouble.

donpiet
donpiet
755 posts
Peasant

a locker is a part of your personal privacy similar to your home or car.
therefore it should not be allowed to search a locker, unless there is not a substantional suspicion that the person who owns the locker is breaking a school rule or the law.
i mean the police is not allowed to search your home or stuff without a warrant(at least in all the countries without the patriot act or similar acts), so i do not see a point why there should be a general rule of searching private property only because a person in charge wishes to do so.

donpiet
donpiet
755 posts
Peasant

We don't own the lockers, and they are school property, so they have evry right to search them.

the locker might not be your property, but it is given to you for the time you are a school student.
so it is a similar situation, when you rent a locker or a post box. it is not yours, but you control it for the time it has been assigned to you.
so without proof or a substantial suspicion there should not be any searches
TexanProvo
TexanProvo
408 posts
Nomad

The locker is provided to the student free of charge and is the property of the school, meaning they have the right to search it at will or do anything else they wish with it at will. It's a different issue completely if it's the student's personel property in which case I believe they should have to have a warrant and it would be preferable to have an actual peace officer search students and their property (someone who knows the law and will only do what's neccessary for the search). Don't think locker searches will get rid of drugs, they always find a way, when I was in high school there was a parking lot that was quite popular, as was an area under a bridge next to the school near McDonalds (brilliant for lunch though), and a few other places.

donpiet
donpiet
755 posts
Peasant

The locker is provided to the student free of charge

if its free of charge or not, it is still provided for the students use only, so you shouldnt be allowed to search it.
and what about bags? should you be able to search them too?
because they are personal property, as is anything in the locker.
so noone should be allowed to look into private belongings without a warrant. no matter where you store it
GamesArmor
GamesArmor
890 posts
Nomad

I have a simple opinion. Sure they can search my locker. I have nothing to hide and don't have anything personal stashed away in there.

If people think it is embarrising, then don't bring anything private to school. It is that simple.

Zomghaxor
Zomghaxor
12 posts
Nomad

Would you rather some crazy kid shooting up your school with a gun? I know I don't and i would do anything to stop it.

Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,079 posts
Nomad

I believe that fourth amendment rights should be shared by all ages. We need to know you're searching through our lockers.

Would you rather some crazy kid shooting up your school with a gun?

No, If that happened though we are talking worst case scenario, but I'd have my phone on me to call the cops too.

Say there is a dangerous 'stranger' in the school, armed. Wouldn't it be just a big paradox to not have an armed person to go against the dangerous individual. we all just hide. Take an example of the random kid who forgot to take their fishing knife out of their pocket when they went fishing in the early morning. They are in a position to become a savior, and a felon. Honestly, to save an entire school, and break one lousy rule, is not punishable in my opinion.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Honestly, if someone gets into the school without notice, then the school corporation isn't doing their jobs correctly. For example, my school has armed patrols everywhere, to spot suspicious individuals, and to catch truants trying to folly their way out of school. The second defense is the entrance of the school, where all people trying to get into the building must state their business and then present their ID before doing anything inside the school. Teachers are allowed to carry arms, with a heavy conscious in their mind, if they so choose to commit a crime.

JamesRaynor
JamesRaynor
16 posts
Nomad

Should be only used if given enough reason, not just the 'Because we feel like it'. Kinda like a search warrant.

Zomghaxor
Zomghaxor
12 posts
Nomad

The lockers belong to the school, You just rent them.
If you don't want them to search your locker then don't put things in it.

Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Kids, under 18, don't have full rights, all our rights are limited, so we can't sue if the police force searches our lockers, I'm not sure if they have to provide a merit or not for the school, but I don't care, I'd rather have my best friend get in huge trouble for bringing a drug or weapon to school than have people get potentially hurt.

Armony
Armony
58 posts
Nomad

Since the locker isn't your property, it isn't your permission the police need to search, it's the school board's permission. It doesn't matter whose belongings are inside the locker, just like it doesn't matter whose belongings are in my house if the police want to search it, they only need a warrant or my permission.

Showing 181-195 of 273