ForumsSupport ForumA new way to track spam!

66 8455
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Ok, so i was looking at a users page (I wont mention names) And noticed they had a high number of comments, and like no forum posts. So I clicked on view all comments and they had about 15 pages of comments, and a large number of comments. Now if they had 1000 games rated ok, but if you add it all up, there is alot of comments that have never been awnsered to.

Now, This IS a suggestin. If you think someone is a spamer, thats a rather good way to check. i will go count the number of comments per page in a moment, but please help in the war on spam by doing this.

• 66 Replies
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

That has nothing to do with this element. We are talking about people with ALOT of comments.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Or rather: people with a HUGE difference in the amount of comments they've made and received...

This is not really that very useful, though...

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

That has nothing to do with this element. We are talking about people with ALOT of comments.

Like me..?

Or rather: people with a HUGE difference in the amount of comments they've made and received...

I think I might have more comments that are sent to me then my total number of comments...
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Ok, Zophia has the idea. If you are confuse look at what she said on the top of this page.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

But this does not take into account people who delete some, most, or all of the comments that reach their profile and cannot apply to people who block their comments.

Sodas
Sodas
313 posts
Nomad

I think I get the idea but what if some of there cmments were posted on games that were not spam and didn't get merits?

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Posting more then once a game is spam. So there you go.

This is from an actually user right now, I wont say who unless a mod would like to know.

games rated: 1046
Comments: 3776
forum posts: 400

They have 14 pages of comments made to them, and there is 100 comments on every page. So that 1400 give or take a few.
So subtract those comments from there total.

3776 - 1400 = 2373

Now subtract the amount of games rated, and say they made on comment on each one.

2373 - 1046 = Ok, i am bad at math, so you figure it out. Were are the rest of those comments? Over 1000 comments deleted o nthere profile? I dont think so.

Now do you understand what I am trying to show you?

The_Winner
The_Winner
136 posts
Nomad

I don't like this idea.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

But there is a fault to this... Some people have for a while deleted all comments on their profile, to keep it clean. Then eventually, they decide to stop doing so, for whatever reason. Also, they might just never have gotten a reply. I think I've made at least 50 comments that I haven't gotten a reply to, either because it wasn't needed or they didn't have time. There is no way of proving that they spammed their way to that many comments, so all this does is raise suspicion. Which is why I am against using this as a "tool". There's no proof.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Yes, but I am talking about a huge diffrence of a few hundered or more.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I don't understand at all. You're saying that if they have,.... god explain better please!

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I don't understand at all. You're saying that if they have,.... god explain better please!
What is it that you do not understand? I think he have explained it perfectly. :/

Yes, but I am talking about a huge diffrence of a few hundered or more.
You need to consider how long they've been a member too. It stacks.
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Seriously i don't. Can you explain Zoph??

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Well... He is saying, that if people have posted many more comments than they have received as replies on their profile, they may have spammed a ghost account, or games.
Did that help? :/

But I don't like this idea very much... Too many variables. They might just have gotten no reply. Though it does look suspicious when there's a big difference, there are no proofs.

Currently I have 1635 comments made on my profile, but I've only made 1557 myself... That's a lot of comments that I haven't replied to. And I think I've deleted all the spam...

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Oh now i see. But what about games? What if they deleted comments? I already found the answers and i say no go. It would work if we didn't have games and the option to delete comments but that'll never happen.

Showing 16-30 of 66