ForumsWEPRRight to bear arms

50 9495
chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

I like it. I like shooting targets, especially with the shotgun. I hate the idea of hunting though.

What do you guys think about it? This can go 2 ways.
1 actual law being there (where people will wtill illegally get guns)
2 guns ceasing to exist

• 50 Replies
WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

i'm an avid shooter! I own a .9mm high point, smith and wesson .357 magnum, a short barrel sks, and a springfield .22...
i don't hunt, because there is no need for me to. if i was hungry i would hunt.
you will never destroy all guns. therefore you can't ban them. if owning guns is ever criminal, you can tell all your friends that you know an outlaw!

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

That is what I am saying. Guns arn't weapons unless used as such.
Too young (15) to have a gun though.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I think it kind of goes the same way as the tobacco issues. No sense in making it illegal because people would find ways to obtain them anyway.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

I was assuming because of the topic name that this was honed in more towards the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Here is the 2nd amendment:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It sounds like the point of having armed citizens would be for the protection of a free State, but doesn't the military already do that? Or is there something more to it?

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

No, I mean the right to use guns for hunting and targets just for fun. Even though I hate hunting.
I think this would be more intersting if we said that every gun just dissapered. How would you feel?
I would hate it. People will be just as violent, and it would solve nothing but stop those who like shooting from doing so.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Japan is a pretty interesting example. They have extremely strict gun laws there, and so there are very few shootings per year. So you think, "Wow, this could actually work!" And then you look at how many stabbings per year they have and it's unreal!
People are going to kill one another, but at least I can run from a guy with a knife.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

What if s/he throws the knife?
People are too corrupt to think about themselves. That is the first step. Selfishness. Before they worry about others they must worry about themselves. Before themselves, not how to destroy somebody.

Grantius
Grantius
45 posts
Nomad

I love guns. They're so fun.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

But (Moe) do you think the world would be better without them. I don't. But I never recieved a definite answer from you.

Guns_N_Roses
Guns_N_Roses
92 posts
Nomad

...It's pretty obvious that the right to bear arms means you have the right to hang a pair of bear arms in your house...lol, I love Family Guy. But seriously, I think the right to bear arms is good I guess...

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Well I can actually run faster than someone can throw a knife, but I guess for the rest of you mortals that might present a problem. But at least knife throwing requires luck or training to get it to stick into somebody. Guns are loud, they scare me.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I wonder if they have throwing star murders...

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

In an ideal world, yes. I think people should be allowed to hunt, so it would need to be some magically impossible world where people had to keep their firearms at designated hunting locations. There would also have to be a magical force that kept criminals from having guns. Ideologically, I am for gun control, but it's just not realistic at all.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

I think that we should all have the right to bear arms, because if you think about it then once the government takes away the right to bear arms then we become completely powerless to them, one of the first things Adolf Hitler did was take away the right to bear arms, so that way when the gestapo came in to take people away they could not defend themselves. So once the government takes away the right to bear arms then we become one step closer to having a dictatorship

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I am more for the right to arm bears. They can atleast fight back when being hunter, or help them hunt salmon. And deer.

In all seriousness, I think what the laws do now are about as effective as they can be. Doing backgrounds checks and such weed out the crazies and such. But nothing in the world is going to stop a redneck from getting an AK-47, regardless of his records.

Besides, I like to every now and then put a few rounds down range. For me, it is just a more advanced bow and arrow. Or blowgun. Or throwing knife. Or boomerang. Except the bullets almost never come back.

Showing 1-15 of 50