ForumsArt, Music, and WritingAmulet, a fiction story.

73 19827
Destor
Destor
706 posts
Nomad

Hello, Armor Games! I have now started to write an entire series, based on a game me and my brother made up a long time ago. There will be 4 parts in the first story -Amulet- and the first will be telling you about the world. The next 4 parts will be broken into chapters, but that is of unimportance. Part 1 (not I, donât get them confused.) is from the perspective of Destor, a half-human who embarks on a journey of revenge. Part 2 is about Destor's son, Destor II. (for the sake of simplicity, he will be referred to as Destor II always) The 2nd part of the story is from Destor II's perspective, about his growing up and then embarking on a long search. Part 3 is from Destor II's daughterâs perspective- about how she rises from a street urchin to a awesomely powerful bounty hunter. (Any resemblance in part 3 to the Metroid series and Samus Aran is entirely coincidental, I just had an awesome idea once.)All of the parts have the same basic story, the main part of which starts near the end of part 1 and ends in the middle of part 3, and in the end it all wraps up. So I present to you- part I, the introduction.

Part i: Basis.

"Ah, how much you do not notice, when you have to focus on one thing."-Matt.

Destor- "a million years pass, but time never changes."

"At the start, we lived on Earth. We never knew. Never cared. How much of that would change, and so soon."- United Galaxies Prez.

Earth, 2000 years from now. A lot has changed, and most of it was better. The main changes: Earth is now the hub of interplanetary commune and trade, for the entire galaxy. The whole world and galaxy is united under one powerful leader, though some might say two. The other sentient race has been found- the Steeli. The Steeli are a race of beings that come in many forms, but the most basic representation of them is like this:

<

They have large hollow bodies that humans can fit inside`and use for travel, if the Steelix is willing. They live billions of years, and have incredible knowledge and strength. 1700 years ago, they came to Earth; however the Humans acted on limited information and attacked them. After a 20 year war, the humans stopped all hostility, after realizing that the Steeli were only a threat if they made them be. The 1700 years that followed were ones of peace and learning, and expansion to a million worlds, everywhere across the galaxy. The main importance of the Steeli in this story is that they can take human forms for a few years at a time, and thus that can lead to one thing only-hybrids. The main character of part 1 is one half-Steelix, the main character of part 2 is one quarter-Steelix, and the main character of part 3 is one 8th-Steelix. The only other importance they have in this story is that the main character of part 1 has a Steelix companion, his half-brother.

The biggest change is the other leader of the universe. It is one corporation that rules all of the others, except for one. (That is Geico, but they are really owned by Atech, just used to make an artificial insurance market.) Atech, the corporation, is not evil; they just produce things extremely well and fast. They do not directly sell anything other than technology themselves, to create more jobs. The Atech center is located on Terra, a beautiful world that is called by some the second capital, and it is an extreme tourist location. The leader of Atech-sometimes called the second leader-is known as Matt, a genius in every way and he also is rumored to contain Steelix blood, but that is not confirmed. Matt and the main character of part one are childhood friends, and both of them would do almost anything to save the other one from something.

That is enough for now, the story will continue later with part 1.

How did you like the backstory? I tried my best on it, but it is hard explaining something to an outsider when it has been going on for 5 years. I actually only included the relevant information, but you do not need to know anything else, and if I think you do later you will learn it then.

• 73 Replies
Destor
Destor
706 posts
Nomad

Apologies. I had guests. And I went on a 10-hour uphill hike yesterday. So I couldn't write at all. But everything should be back to normal now.

I guess I'm the half here :P

No. The half is made of the people who read it, liked it, and then never read any more. So it really is 2 quarters.

Good point! But I can still hurt you! =) In some weird...virtual..way...yeah..

Just write some more! =3

...Ow! Please stop. But I will.

Without hesitation, I ran. But after my first step, I found myself on the ground. I tried to get up, but Matt was on top of me, pinning me down.
"Don't move!" He said "They won't do anything if you don't move. Or speak."
I tried to figure out what had happened. Matt hadn't moved, but he was on top of me now. I wished that I could speak, but Matt was right. The soldiers in the room were just standing in odd poses, frozen in place. Matt turned towards me, and told me that we could speak now.
"Why are they frozen?" I asked.
Matt turned, "I stopped time. We have to get out of here, before one of them breaks the freeze. Before you ask, they are Time Cops. They hunt people who break the natural flow of time, and revert what they did. But we didn't do anything, they are just shoving blame onto us. They used to be honorable, but now are corrupt. They come from the future, unfortunately. So we can't beat them. More will come if we do. However... We can run. But there is only one place to go."
Matt walked over to the nearest Cop, and tore his belt off. He dd this to another soldier, then handed one belt to me and put one on himself.
"I set the dial to the proper time. Just press the button, and off we go." He said.
"Stop now. You are in possession of stolen property, and will be punished." The Time Cop with 02 on his helmet was facing us now. "Also, you have distorted time. I am authorized to subdue or destroy you now."
"NO!" Matt shouted " Kill me. But the boy... He is powerful. He would be a most powerful fighter... Why not use him? You do, after all, need more units."
"...As the boy has committed no true crime, I could take him. If I can get authorization." 02 said. A paper appeared in his hand* "Got it! Very well, your new life begins now." He grabbed a knife from his belt, stabbed Matt and dialed his belt all in one motion, then pressed the button.

I woke, and tore out of bed. The light came on, and I saw that nothing was different. I still looked the same in the mirror. I checked the time. 6:25, I was up early. I glanced around the room, seeing that everything was still normal. The two beds were in place, the small bookshelf, the drawers, the bags, the mirror, the desk, all of these were normal. The only thing out of place was that the other bed was empty, and the chair near the desk was occupied. A person sat there, brown hair, brown eyes, slightly taller than me, he was reading a book. He glanced up at me
"Up early, eh, Destor?"

* The magic of time control! 02 jumped forward in time to whence he came, got authorization and went back to the exact same time he left.
Destor
Destor
706 posts
Nomad

Wow, 2 in one day! And to those of you who are going to worry... This is the same book. Don't worry. Please.

And also- if you don't understand something, please tell me. I can explain it. Also, if there is an inconsistency with the chapters/parts, tell me. Or if I just left something out. Anyway...

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Good morning, Jer. I wanted to be ready for the test. I had a bit of trouble sleeping to, I had the weirdest dream about some old guy. I see you are up as early as ever. Still reading that old book?" I asked.
"Yes, I am." Said Jer. His real name was Gerald, but he preferred Jer. "The showers are open, if you want to go. I already took mine, and now I'm trying to get the 8th level dodge down. I heard that we were going on a level 7, and I want to be ready."
"Level 7? Pah." I said.
"Maybe for you. Not everyone has mastered level 9 already. It's only the 4th year. But even so, you ought to study. I wouldn't want you to forget how to dodge at a key moment." Responded Jer. He was taller than me, had brown hair, brown eyes, and was otherwise nondescript. He was tan, but not dark.
"Whatever. I'm going to shower before the fresh water is all gone." I said. Showering in recycled water was a bad experience.
"Speaking of which, the girl's shower is still down, so the room is still divided. They put up a block- physical and mental- too, so don't get any ideas. Not that you are the type of guy who would, eh?" Jer said, grinning.
"And what does that mean, EH?" I responded.
"Hahaha, you never noticed how all the girls hang on your every word? That Mandy can't stand to be apart from you during the day. In fact, I'm not even worried about you doing anything anymore, but you should be careful before they swarm you." Jer was still grinning.
"Shut up. And you are right, I never noticed. And Mandy is just my friend. I have to go now, before the water runs out." I turned away and walked out of the room. The door slid closed behind me, and I went down the hall to the showers. I walked in, and first noticed how odd it was to see the room chopped in half. I walked over to the first empty shower and activated the door. I walked into the narrow room, and took off my clothes. I pressed the HOT button, and waited for the water. It came much faster than normal, due to how early it was.

The water shut off, and I swore at it. Of course, the shower time was less on a test day. I put on the new clean clothes that were waiting on the bench, and walked out of the stall. The door closed, and I walked out into the hall. Just as I walked out, the mirror image of the door that was next to it opened.[Okay, a small explanation here. The guys' bathroom has been split into two separate rooms until the girls' bathroom is fixed. A powerful psy has created a portal door in the girls' half, so that they don't have to walk through the guys' showers. This is only temporary, though, so they still come out in the guys' hall.] A girl walked out, brushing her annoyingly long black hair. She was a few inches shorter than me, which had sparked a few jokes about her "looking up" to me. She was one of my best friends here, and we both liked each other. She was dressed in the same gray nondescript shirt and jeans as I was, except obviously the girls version. She almost walked into me as she came out, and started apologizing immediately
"Oh! Destor! Hi!" A nervous giggle "I didn't expect you to be up this early. Heh. Um... Sorry! I have to go. And study. You should to. This is the hardest test that we have to take. Um.. Bye!"
"Bye, Mandy!" I shouted after her. She had taken off at a run, and was almost around the corner. I shrugged. She was being a bit weird, but was probably just nervous about the test. Oh well. I walked back to my room.
"Hello. I finished 'Quart's Guide to Lowering Guards' if you want it." Jer said as I came in.
"No thanks, I read it the other day. I was just going to review 'How To Shift a Block Of Red' before breakfast," I said.
"Well, we have 15 minutes to spare. You might want to tidy your hair, by the way. And also... Don't tell anyone... But I managed to rig the shower to only give cold water for Drake. He'll never figure out who did it." Jer said.
"Nice," I said, while straitening my hair and reading at the same time. "Say... Did you hear that something was going to happen today? I think they might be weeding, after the test. Not sure." I was satisfied with my hair, and sat down on my bed to read
"That would suck. Not that we have to worry." Jer was grinning. "Of course, weeding is only a small possibility. It could be duel time, or even ComPil."
"Yeah. Hunh. Well, I'm done reading. I'm gonna get in the breakfast line."
"Whatever. Try and avoid Drake, I bet he'll be glaring mad." Jer had stopped grinning now, to seem more serious.

I walked down the long 4th year hall, and turned at the cafeteria's hall. The line was only 10 or so people long- more than usual for 5 minutes before the doors opened, but it was a test day. I walked into the line, right behind... Mandy.
"Oh, Destor, Hi!" She was as cheery as ever "I brought 'Normand's Maze&Hall Tactic Book' along, for you to review. I was really eager this morning, I woke up 45 minutes early. I hope you got enough rest. I think we are in turn for a match with Drake's group, and I know how important it is to you. I decided to wait around now, so that we could secure a table for the group. I wonder what's for breakfast? It's a test day, so I'm sure they won't just serve oatmeal!"
"You know, I can't keep up with you. Why don't we review 'Normand's' together, and try not to worry about the rest of the group. Everyone's worried that there might be a weeding, and want to spend time with their friends. We just had a few hours of practice yesterday, so we should be fine. Besides-" I was cut off by the doors to the cafeteria opening and the line, which was longer now, starting to move. I had no choice but to go with the flow.
---------------------------------------------------------

Oh god, I'm tired. Please, just let me rest.

And as usual, you can expect more next week. Imagine that!

Destor
Destor
706 posts
Nomad

I walked to a vacant table, carrying a tray with oatmeal and orange juice on it.
"I don't believe this! Oatmeal! On a test day! Oh well, I can't do anything about it. But still... We just had it!" I sat down after my monologue, and stirred the oatmeal around in my bowl to cool it down. I was about to start eating when Mandy sat down to my right and handed me a book, Normand's Maze&Hall Tactic Book. I opened it to page 74, the start of the "Maze" chapter, and glanced over the tactics. It was an incredibly long, boring and detailed book, but I didn't really care. I had nothing else to do but read it while I ate.
"So... What's the field this time?" Mandy asked. "I think that 4 and 5 are down for maintenance, but they just reopened 12. I also heard that since it is a mid-term, they might be using 1 or 8."
I finished my glass of orange juice, then turned and spoke "I just got the battle data, we go against Drake and Co. today. We are going in field 8, with a maze battle. Full boundaries, no forgiveness, last man- or woman- standing. Because that's the case, I'm going to read pages 90 to 115 now, and pray that we won't have to deal with a block."
"Okay! I think I can remember how to shift in a maze, if you need it. Being commander must be tough, right? Having to memorize all of this stuff," Mandy said.
"Not just tactics, I have to know what each unit is capable of and keep an eye on them while I fight as well. If it wasn't for your help with keeping me organized, I would probably have failed long ago." I turned a page in the book "Oh, you need to review this part. Compound studies on the effects of maze shifting."
Mandy leaned over the book, her hair getting in the way. "This says that the no-pattern theory can be disproved by the Joint Theory, and that knowing where the points are gives you an advantage. I guess we just have to stay in control, then." She turned towards me. "Breakfast is over. Are you done?" I nodded. "Good. Let's go- the hall should be open."
I rose from the table and dropped my tray on the stack. Mandy followed me, still holding the book open. She was trying desperately to study a little more before the match. I sighed. I didn't know if I could win this one. I hadn't gotten enough rest- despite lying about it, I thin it was obvious- and I wasn't thinking clear enough. If I forgot to consider one thing when I needed to it was over. Ugh. I walked out into the circular room the connected many corridors, and went down the opposite way of where I had come before. It was time to go to the hall, and hear battle announcements. Mandy ran over to me, and we started walking down the long corridor. She grabbed my hand, and we talked a bit as we went down the hall. Just a bit before the end, I heard a shout.
"Destor, Get over here!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, 3 in 24 hours. Amazing! I guess that I just feel like writing. I also just fell in love with the story again, and figured out how to write it.

texcido
texcido
320 posts
Nomad

Aha I'm back, I could read 3 (or was it 4) stories ^_^

Thnx, it's getting better and better although I didn't fully understood the switch to the story with mandy. Is he a time-traveler student now?

Destor
Destor
706 posts
Nomad

Thnx, it's getting better and better although I didn't fully understood the switch to the story with mandy. Is he a time-traveler student now?

Well, I can't exactly say too much about this. He is in an academy, and he is training for something. Writing the next chapter will explain way better than I can now, but I have a splitting headache. Unh. Maybe tomorrow...

But don't worry. Destor is still completely fine. Let's just say that he doesn't remember much right now .
texcido
texcido
320 posts
Nomad

nohh almost 3 weeks no update

Destor
Destor
706 posts
Nomad

I'm so very sorry! I forgot about the book, etc etc. I just moved, and that can be hard on people.
A short chapter today, then two long ones over the weekend maybe? I hope so.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I turned around and, no surprise, Jer was standing there with a dumb grin.
"Well?" He asked.
"You come over here."
"Fine. You are the 'boss', after all" Jer could never resist making fun of my small authority.
"Yes, I am the boss, so get over here." I could never resist using it.
Jer walked over to where I and Mandy waited, then we kept walking.
"So, Destor, I have to tell you that we aren't going to have it easy today. I think that they are planning to change something." Jer looked serious, for once.
"Oh?" I said. "Then we will just have to work better."
We walked down the hall, and went into the study rooms. After a while of studying, we came out. Nothing interesting happened for the rest of the morning, and eventually I ended up in the battle entrance area, along wtih Mandy, Jer, Drake, Roy, Arnold (Drake's team) and a judge.
"This is to be the victor's last match before graduation. The loser shall require two more victories to graduate. This is to be a maze battle, with no rules. None. Eliminate the enemy. Enter your rooms, and beware. Several powerful creatures are roaming the halls. You would be wise to avoid them and wiser to use them to an advantage." The judges always talk like this.
"NO rules?" I said doubtfully. There was always one rule.
"No killing, of course." The judge said, almost snidely.
"We can punch and kick and scratch and shout and use dishonorable tactics?" Asked Jer
"Yes."
"We can do whatever we want?" Asked Drake
"Yes."
I moved away from the other team towards the starting area.
"Listen, we might be able to do whatever we want but we aren't going to. This is our last fight here, and I want to leave this place with honor." Honor was important to me. It still is. I never give up my honor.
"Of course," Mandy said. "We all know how this team works by now."
The doors opened, and we stepped into the maze. It was a ton of walls that shifted every now and then. The enemy could be anywhere. I got a lock on Mandy and Jer, then turned towards one of the ways. My strategy was to split up and when we found Drake and his men, all of us would shift to the area. My only worry was that-
"RARRHGH!"
---------------------------------------------------------
And to all a good night!

texcido
texcido
320 posts
Nomad

I'm so very sorry! I forgot about the book, etc etc. I just moved, and that can be hard on people.
A short chapter today, then two long ones over the weekend maybe? I hope so.

I hope so too ^_^
Angeeel
Angeeel
328 posts
Nomad

What did I say about cutting off in the middle of something interesting?

texcido
texcido
320 posts
Nomad

Someday.. will this story be finished ^^

Angeeel
Angeeel
328 posts
Nomad

Ehm... It's been almost 4 moths. Are you still alive?

Angeeel
Angeeel
328 posts
Nomad

4 moths

Months! Not moths!
texcido
texcido
320 posts
Nomad

yea, Where are you :P

Showing 61-73 of 73