ForumsThe TavernSpelling and Grammar Nazi Club

160 22802
TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

Okay, I got this idea Darkroot, it's another club! That's right, another club so the mods can look it over for a purpose. Well, this club has a purpose, and that's to improve grammar throughout the site by our local, non-mod Grammar Nazis!

The leaders will be TSL3_needed (Me), Thisisnotanalt, Darkrooot, and Flipin3500.

It's not so much a club as just something to help people improve their grammar on the forums, games, and profiles. Membership is sort of unlimited and anyone can join, just as long as you pledge to improve your grammar and help others improve theirs.

The official guide for the club is here. Everyone, I hope you enjoy improving your grammar!

• 160 Replies
Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus
Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus
998 posts
Nomad

If they don't want to join, then leave them alone.

If they don't want to join then leave them alone.
TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

Nope, sorry Virus. The comma is indicating a pause in the sentence, which is intended.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

TSL3_needed loves his comma's.

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,550 posts
Peasant

How about the clubs name be "Spelling and Grammer Nazi Club"? It would widen the range greatly and alot of people on this site just aren't very good at spelling.

TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

TSL3_needed loves his comma's.

Yes I do : ).

How about the clubs name be "Spelling and Grammer Nazi Club"? It would widen the range greatly and alot of people on this site just aren't very good at spelling.

Ya, that would make more sense. I'll ask a mod to change it when I get around to it.
Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus
Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus
998 posts
Nomad

Nope, sorry Virus. The comma is indicating a pause in the sentence, which is intended.

Actually, you are wrong. Where you placed it was incorrect, for the comma breaks ideas into clauses, participles, or gerunds.

If they don't want to join, then leave them alone.

"If they don't want to join," is not a place for a comma since it does not contain an idea and is not describing.
carddog12
carddog12
211 posts
Nomad

wow, people are starting to get snippy.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Not commas > <!
Seriously, the English comma is possibly the worst one to get to fit. I am sure it makes sense, but often the comma is not there to put in a break for breath nor is it there because it seperates the individual parts of the sentence.
I think it might be the less used comma, at least according to what I have learned, which often lead to me having comma errors in my assignments because I put them in like in Danish where it actually can be put in for breaks or for seperating.

I hate the English comma.
And I dislike grammar Nazis.

CloudHill
CloudHill
313 posts
Nomad

I think that grammar is a learned aspect. Saying that someone has improper grammar make you look like a numbnut, because grammar isn't specific. Proper grammar implies that a single way of speech is the only way you should speak.
The only thing that makes sense is correcting others' spelling, and even then, their dialect may be how they type.
I mean, is it armor or armour? Can you really say which is correct?
Take my words into your mind.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

The only thing that makes sense is correcting others' spelling, and even then, their dialect may be how they type.
I mean, is it armor or armour? Can you really say which is correct?
Take my words into your mind.
My English teacher used to tell us that he didn't care whether we used British or American spelling, as long as we were consistent with it.
I think that should apply in general.

(Meaning, don't say color of the armour/colour of the armor, because that's mixing two "languages" - or rather, variants of English.)

I care about spelling before grammar and grammar before punctuation. And commas confuse me as much as they apparently confuse Cen.
CloudHill
CloudHill
313 posts
Nomad

Commas are tricky bastards, because they can either symbolize the separation of ideas, or they can show the pauses that may be seen as the author/narrator taking a breath.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

participles, or gerunds.

Those are both verbals. . .not parts of a sentence. . .

Take your patriciple thing for example.

'Mom, can I go get my, running shoes?'
'Mom, can I get my running, shoes?'

That's separating the participle from the rest of the sentence with commas. That's not grammatically correct. You may have your definitions mixed up.

----

And the comma is neutral in that case. It could go either way, and still be correct.

It could go either way and still be correct.

See? The pronunciation of the sentence also has a lot to do with whether a comma is inserted or not.
llamaeatataco
llamaeatataco
164 posts
Nomad

Hmm. May I join this club?

Also, since you people are supposed to be spelling nazis also, which is correct: epically or epicly?

TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

"If they don't want to join," is not a place for a comma since it does not contain an idea and is not describing.

Ah, but alas, that's not how I learned. This is one of those 'Special' breaks that are designed to separate the sentence into two separate phrases. If you speak it out loud, then you'll understand.

YAY, MY 900TH POST!!!
samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,550 posts
Peasant

I care about spelling before grammar and grammar before punctuation.

Yeah, I would have to agree. I mean, good grammer is nice to have mastered, but correct spelling is what really needs to be focused on. Nobody really cares if you misplace a comma or apostrophe, but incorrect spelling is probably more annoying. And spelling seems to be a bigger problem here at AG than anything else, except maybe punctuation.
Showing 46-60 of 160