ForumsThe TavernSpelling and Grammar Nazi Club

160 22801
TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

Okay, I got this idea Darkroot, it's another club! That's right, another club so the mods can look it over for a purpose. Well, this club has a purpose, and that's to improve grammar throughout the site by our local, non-mod Grammar Nazis!

The leaders will be TSL3_needed (Me), Thisisnotanalt, Darkrooot, and Flipin3500.

It's not so much a club as just something to help people improve their grammar on the forums, games, and profiles. Membership is sort of unlimited and anyone can join, just as long as you pledge to improve your grammar and help others improve theirs.

The official guide for the club is here. Everyone, I hope you enjoy improving your grammar!

• 160 Replies
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Yeah but that is specific. We want to help people with bad grammar, which would contribute to everyone if we helped.

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,550 posts
Peasant

which is correct: epically or epicly?

Epically is the correct spelling your looking for.
CloudHill
CloudHill
313 posts
Nomad

There is no such thing as bad grammar, that is only what is perceived. The only reason you see it as incorrect is because you don't speak that way, and you think that your way is the best and only way.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

There is no such thing as bad grammar, that is only what is perceived. The only reason you see it as incorrect is because you don't speak that way, and you think that your way is the best and only way.
There's a reason for it to be called grammatical rules.

Nobody really cares if you misplace a comma or apostrophe,
Apostrophes are much more important to place correctly, imo.

Because they indicate that some letters have not been written.

And these get annoying:
we're/were, it's/its... Similar things.

Like they're/their.

And one of those that really annoy me... Could of/could have. The first is completely incorrect, but people pronounce it that way. . .
CloudHill
CloudHill
313 posts
Nomad

Could you be slightly more in-depth Zophia? I didn't quite get your point.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Point: Apostrophes are more important to place correctly than commas.
Because they indicate that some letters have not been written, thus changing the meaning of the letter combination.

"Were going outside because its a nice day." <- Fail.

People who write what they hear most often end up misspelling.

yetsumari
yetsumari
82 posts
Nomad

let me get one thing straight, grammar nazi-ism is something that developed on another forum (my friend was actually the one who thought of the term). I don't agree with grammar nazi-ism, because it just makes this place more and more civilized, and eventually turns this website into a orderly piece of crap. I will agree that sometimes having correct spelling and grammar can be convenient, but there is one simple alternative rule that can take away the need for everyone to be a grammar nazi: don't be an idiot.

CloudHill
CloudHill
313 posts
Nomad

Zophia, i meant what you said as a reply to me.

carddog12
carddog12
211 posts
Nomad

Oh no. The group is starting to turn on each other. Put the gun down. I said put the gun down! No, NO, NO!

CloudHill
CloudHill
313 posts
Nomad

What exactly do you mean by that carddog?

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Not really it's that we are trying to help each other a bit too..enthusiastically. I guess before we can help other people with spelling/grammar we have to help yourselves. We should have a comma lecture, "happy face".

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

let me get one thing straight, grammar nazi-ism is something that developed on another forum (my friend was actually the one who thought of the term). I don't agree with grammar nazi-ism, because it just makes this place more and more civilized, and eventually turns this website into a orderly piece of crap. I will agree that sometimes having correct spelling and grammar can be convenient, but there is one simple alternative rule that can take away the need for everyone to be a grammar nazi: don't be an idiot.

The term 'grammar Nazi' has been around since before the internet.
samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,550 posts
Peasant

The term 'grammar Nazi' has been around since before the internet.

Its been around before Hitler. Wait, What?
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Grammar Nazi is just a name. Doesn't mean we have to act like it. Helping not hating.

Its been around before Hitler. Wait, What?

Samdaghomie do you honestly think Hitler had internet? He said before the internet not before Hitler.

Do we need to start a reading properly club?
CloudHill
CloudHill
313 posts
Nomad

Nice, Darkroot. I think that is actually a major issue, especially in RPGs, and philosophical debates.

Showing 61-75 of 160