ForumsProgramming ForumFlash game test - BIG PROJECT

173 99838
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I worked on this game for quite some time. Probably a good 20-30 days of work on it. This is my first ever large scale game and has a functioning high score system by rankz.armorbot. (went down long time ago)

I didn't perfect everything yet but I am working on it so criticism is welcome. I am more worried right now about coding problems and glitches than making the jumping and collision detection perfect.

The game can be found here:
Super Mitchio

I also used a template from flashvillage.com to create a little movie about the making of the flash game and what goes into creating something like this.

The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio

If you get to check it out, let me know what you think.

• 173 Replies
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

BB code for links fixed in this post.

The game can be found here:
Super Mitchio

The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio

The updated high scores can be found here:
Updated High Scores

I had double posted this thread, moderator please delete the other one.

TheCheeseMaker
TheCheeseMaker
349 posts
Nomad

not good sorry but really
music could use some work
graphics are bad but i guess it could pass
gameplay is a bit bad(what is my goal?)
down to shoot is a bit hard
6/10

15Master1
15Master1
48 posts
Nomad

Not realy good:
This is not your idea - 3
The graphics are not yours - 3
The music is not yours - 1
Mario looks a bit worser - 1
Atleast you tried - + 2
and total is: 4/10

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Not realy good:
This is not your idea - 3
The graphics are not yours - 3
The music is not yours - 1
Mario looks a bit worser - 1
Atleast you tried - + 2
and total is: 4/10

Why is it not my idea? Last I remembered you jump on enemies in Super Mario, which is not the game I designed.

The graphics were photoshopped by me, they are not original but I put the work into them.

Most people don't use original music in a flash game that is just a learning project. I am not a sound engineer.

Mario isn't supposed to look better..... Who ever said that?

Please be more constructive in the comments. It is obvious when someone comments on the game and they show they do not know how to program in flash.

And if you don't make it to the second level in my game, please don't even leave a comment because you obviously did not check the game out.
rytherix
rytherix
68 posts
Nomad

howabout this, your game is a good start!
but far from good

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

I acctully loved the game, i gives it a 8 outs a ten.

And id like to see you guys make a flash T_T

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

rytherix, sounds good. I can't appease everyone.

jaza, thanks a lot!! Yeah, it isn't easy to make a game with some depth.

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

i liked it allot but my only problem was that i couldnt really find out what the point of the game is in the first level. was i supposed to go left was i supposed to go right i was a little confused but all in all a great start to a flash game. i would give it a 8/10 great job!

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

tegan, thanks!! The instructions are all that are needed to play the game, other than that it is just going for the high score that counts.

ilovemoney249
ilovemoney249
813 posts
Nomad

I thought it was pretty good. Maybe replace the characters into something better, instead of someone looking like Mario. But for your first big project, it was pretty good.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

First of all not your idea, not very good sprites, not your music. Also the animation seems very bad especially when you break a block then the it kind just uses one of flash exploding animation presents.
The hit detection is also poor for the koopa since it goes like +100% off the character. I think it was a nice experiment for you but you should really trying making your own game not copying what someone already made.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

ilovemoney, thanks!! In the third level I experimented with changing the character to Mario riding Yoshi and that was my first attempt at making a character animation from sprites. You can right click on the game and click play to skip the level and go to the next one while forfeiting your level bonus. Level 3 is very incomplete and is just a preview for now. In Level 3 I also added the option to spend score to gain "supermush" power to gain speed and jump to reach places that are unreachable without it. You can also pick up the powerups in the third level and they are automatically activated.

darkroot, sorry the animation for the brick was made by ME. Not a flash exploding animation preset, sorry.... The bricks were just a concept, not a real part of the game. The hit detection is poor because the hitTest function is quite old and I was using programming skill-sets from Flash 5 and MX. Not flash 8 or CS. I do not make games in Flash, I make websites. But I will say it again, this project was not meant to have original sprites or music, hence the DISCLAIMER in the beginning of the game. The original work is in the programming and the layout of the game along with all the concepts that go into it. I was pretty sure that in Mario you jumped on enemies and did not shoot them with a rifle? I know there's a ton of Mario games out there, but please show me the place where you think I ripped off my idea for Super Mitchio and I will agree with you that it is not my idea. At that rate I can claim that all homemade Flash games that are ripped off of something else because they basically are.

rytherix posted in this thread and from darkroots logic, Soviet Silo Defense is a rip off of missile command for the Atari. Please do not use this logic as it is not correct. Me and rytherix both put substantial amounts of time into creating our games and because we used concepts that were originated in the 80's does not mean we "copied" the concepts from the original game.

waynaul
waynaul
73 posts
Nomad

I got to the third level and found no game-breaking bugs.

I did find minor bugs such as walking to the left side of a green pipe will stop you due to collision, but you can walk through the pipe from the right side. Sometimes when I land from a jump, the character will land slightly inside the floor triggering code to break the bricks if the floor is breakable. Also I can enter the fortress for level two without fighting the two boss jets.

I think the falling jump is an interesting idea.

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

looooooooooooooooooooooooong load time...

now, back to the game, it's..owait, still loading :P

Kk, I got to level 3 also, ranking doesn't work.

It's good for a first game! I assume that, if you complete it you're gonna swap out the graphics. You really should.

Problems:
1) Animation. All of it seems un-finished
2) Confusion. I couldn't figure it out for a while, and the whole health system is waaaaay too unforgiving
3) Why does it seem like you've spent more time on ur "making of" than on the game itself?!?

It's okay, but needs lots of work

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

waynaul, thanks a lot!! Yes I couldn't find any game breaking bugs either. With the pipes if you were blocked from both sides the enemies coins would be unreachable in certain situations and that was the reasoning behind that. The bricks breaking when landing on them is a problem with the characters _y position and I would need to add a couple extra lines of code to eliminate that but did not do so yet. You can go to Level two without fighting the bosses because I am making it so you beat the game without ever fighting an enemy, I thought that was an interesting concept. The falling jump is a fault in the code of the original engine which I didn't take time out to fix because I thought it was pretty neat and since this isn't a professional game, why not leave it in?

programpro, the load time is kind of long because of the three songs, one in each level. I have done multiple projects where I externally load the music via a music preloader that I have prebuilt for exactly these types of situations. I was more concerned with the programming of the game than the filesize and making the music load prior to each level. The ranking system does not work because our friends at armorgames decided to pull down the high score system for all of the games that use the armorbot ranking system. The rankings worked flawlessly, but not when armorbot pulls down the system. To answer your other 3 problems:
1) The animation will be finished in the future, I was very concerned with the programming and not the animations.
2) Yes, the game is a little confusing at first, but reading the instructions should help a ton. There are two pages to the instructions. The health system should be tough, I originally designed the game that you would die in one hit. It is a flaw for gaming in general and that is why I changed the game from dying in one hit to taking different damage away depending on what you hit.
3) The "making of" wasn't created by me originally. I just put the content into it and it took me four hours to do that. The template for the making of super mitchio was taken from flashvillage.com. You can browse their site and pick out anything you want for free as long as you give them credit in the final project.

So programpro, this is what a first time game looks like created from scratch with a simple game engine. I am a seasoned designer though so this took me minimal time compared to what it would take a beginner. The making of super mitchio was finished in 4 hours because it is basically cheating. All the coding was done for me and all I needed to do was to put the content into the file.

Showing 1-15 of 173