138 31969
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Now that I-

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/modlocks/ttly-1.png

-have your attention, there are some things you need to know:

First, we already know there is an exploit that allows you to bypass the site censor and write expletives and other things without having to alter them.

We also know how it is done. We also know how to fix it.

But in the meantime before it is fixed, please be aware that if any of your posts contain uncensored expletives in it, you are at risk of being banned because we consider that to be excessive swearing as stated in the rules of the site. And if it happens more than once, we might just get impatient enough to have you permanently banned.

So yeah, I thought it'd be fair if you guys were told, because it's happened more than once now.

We know that the filter isn't perfect either, so if you feel the urge to swear, why not filter yourself? We have to make some kind of judgement when deciding what course of action to take when we encounter expletives, so the safest option would naturally be not to use expletives.

Now, just one other matter: seeing tons of posts insulting people and swearing etc. by a single user is annoying. It annoys us too. But please don't assume we're letting anybody get away more than anybody else. If the rules have been broken we will deal with the user accordingly.

In some cases, the posts themselves may remain for some time as we keep them as evidence while we consult the administration to see if any further action is required. In these cases, as usual, the most useful course of action is NOT to complain that we aren't doing anything, but to report the offending post to us, so that we can compile them and present them as required.

That would be most helpful, thanks!

• 138 Replies
Gametesta
Gametesta
1,707 posts
Nomad

Is there such a thing as excessive self-censoring? **$**

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

Is there such a thing as excessive self-censoring?

N*, th**e i* n* s*ch t*i*g as *xces*ive s*lf-c*ns*r*ng.

If there was such a thing, could you be banned for it?
Zephera
Zephera
187 posts
Nomad

Do you bypass the censorship by posting one letter in the expletive in Italics?

TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

So censoring ourselves?

I believe I always do that. IF I swear. When I do it's usually our of comical anger or humor.

TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

Do you bypass the censorship by posting one letter in the expletive in Italics?

Yuppers. Though don't do it. Ever. As stated by this thread.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

But please don't assume we're letting anybody get away more than anybody else. If the rules have been broken we will deal with the user accordingly.

I beg to differ. CosmicCharlie is still alive, even after flooding the S&S forum with trolling and the like, and has gotten ANYTHING BUT a warning. Yes, I realize that he is a former loved member of AG, but that doesn't excuse his rule breaking.

In some cases, the posts themselves may remain for some time as we keep them as evidence while we consult the administration to see if any further action is required. In these cases, as usual, the most useful course of action is NOT to complain that we aren't doing anything, but to report the offending post to us, so that we can compile them and present them as required.

Then I'll stress this to everyone reading: if you see any of this, flag and report the offending posts, then IGNORE IT! Treat the posts and the user as trolling, even though he/she may not even be doing so, and report it to a mod. That way, we will complain less about the mods doing nothing even less than what we already do ;-)
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

I think I know who this memo is directed at, but I won't mention any names because Lig--I mean, the anonymous user would not appreciate that.

UniversityOfPi
UniversityOfPi
23 posts
Shepherd

*s r*placing *t le*st *ne l*tter coun* *s s*lf-c*ensorsh*p?

Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

CosmicCharlie is still alive, even after flooding the S&S forum with trolling and the like

Yes, but he is L- *shot*

*keeps quiet and looks for expletives*

Good luck with that...
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Yes, but he is L-

I really don't care right now. If he actually is getting special treatment where as run-of-the-mill people would have gotten banned on the spot.... again, let me remind you that he has done this, while no one seems to be doing a thing about it.
Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

If he actually is getting special treatment where as run-of-the-mill people would have gotten banned on the spot.... again, let me remind you that he has done this, while no one seems to be doing a thing about it.

This is the internet. Loosen up a bit.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

The memo is directed at Klaus, not Lige.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

The memo is directed at Klaus, not Lige.

Really, what's he done?

This is the internet. Loosen up a bit.

Whilst I think some posts can be taken with a pinch of salt, on the whole, I agree with Freakenstein. Some of the posts of CosmicCharlie's have been quite funny, edgy but not going too far. Numerous others have crossed the line, just straight up uncensored profanity. I hope he gets put away in ban jail. No one should be able to get away with that kind of thing, no matter how long they've been a member.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

The memo is directed at EVERYONE. No exceptions.

Whilst I think some posts can be taken with a pinch of salt, on the whole, I agree with Freakenstein. Some of the posts of CosmicCharlie's have been quite funny, edgy but not going too far. Numerous others have crossed the line, just straight up uncensored profanity. I hope he gets put away in ban jail. No one should be able to get away with that kind of thing, no matter how long they've been a member.

No, Freakenstein is claiming CosmicCharlie is getting special treatment. He is not getting special treatment. Anyone who crosses the line will be dealt with in a timely manner. This does not mean instantaneously.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

No, Freakenstein is claiming CosmicCharlie is getting special treatment. He is not getting special treatment. Anyone who crosses the line will be dealt with in a timely manner. This does not mean instantaneously.

I just talked with Strop about it, he gave be the gist of the situation. I'll take back everything I said before. I'm just glad something's been done to stop it.
Showing 1-15 of 138