ForumsSupport ForumEvidence

69 19390
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Temp. addition to the wall'o'stick.

If you are going to complain about/report someone, make sure you have evidence of the mischief.
If someone spam your comments, DO NOT delete it. Report it, wait until a mod replies, then delete it.
If you need to make a mod aware of a thread, POST THE LINK ALONG with the complaint/comment.
And, most importantly... If you want something to be locked, or deleted... REPORT IT!!

Why?
In the first case: No evidence, nothing happened.
Second case: It is sometimes hard work to track down "That thread about kittens" when we don't know where it is, or even what it is called.
Third case: Because otherwise you spam with your "this should be locked", "this is stupid", "this is a repeat"... The last case at least if that is the only comment.

Just so you know.

• 69 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Did you catch your breath already Holden? =D

The suggestion of a 'red-button-making-the-flagged-comments-go-poof' is a bad one if you ask me... if this would appear, what's the point of making comments on the forum or on a profile?

You see... with this a serious threat is created to the community on AG! Simply because someone could become bored and decides to flag every comment he comes across, resulting in that these comments will be deleted alltogether and people would get annoyed and leave AG... think of that... no, please do NOT create this...

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

The suggestion of a 'red-button-making-the-flagged-comments-go-poof' is a bad one if you ask me...

I wonder where you saw the word "suggestion".

Also, this is more off topic than the Art section, and that says a lot. Topic or nothing. And keep the teaching to comments or leave it to mods, huh.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

I assumed you suggested this to be made, instead of it already existing somewhere... my bad then, sorry... :/

I only replied to what you said in your previous comment where this 'button' came up and, if I'm not mistaken..., my reply to that comment is on topic of the thread? Yes/No?

Now I'm confused on what I'm supposed to write and what I'm not to... :S

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Jeez didnt need to make a thread for this :/ jk jk

MrAutomatic
MrAutomatic
296 posts
Nomad

Jeez didnt need to make a thread for this

Apparently he did, otherwise he wouldn't have.
Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

I think a thread on how forum ideas get made or actually accepted on the site would of helped more.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Jeez didnt need to make a thread for this

Apparently he did, otherwise he wouldn't have.

As I can't speak for Cenere, I can definitely understand the need for him to make this thread and sticky it!

Imagine all those comments a mod gets on his profile and how they are put together...

An example of a comment by a user and the mods' action to this:

User: He sweared at me in the thread on bands! Please make him stop!
(multiply this by a hundred...)

Mod: Ok, tell me which thread it was and I can have a look.
(again multiplied by a hundred...)

User: You know, that awesome thread about the metal bands!
(again... you get the point...)

Mod: I still need to know which thread you mean and what user. Only then I can take action.
(...)

User: This thread: >&gtrovides link<< Please make him stop!
(...)

And the moderator can finally take action...

The reason therefor is to minimize the time a mod needs to spend at reacting to these comments and stop wasting his! That's why this thread was made...
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I think a thread on how forum ideas get made or actually accepted on the site would of helped more.

Perhaps, but that is not something we mods have anything to do with.
And I do believe it is important. Even regulars make the mistake to either not report something they think should be locked, or tell a mod who or what happened.
Getting a report that says that that and that person was doing so and so gives us some of a tracking work, especially if said report is made by someone who just noticed it, and didn't say where it happened, to who, or simply deleted the offendable material.
"This guy flamed me really much!"
"I can't see any flaming on your profile, only a bunch of rude comments from you."
"HE STARTED! HE CALLED ME SO AND SO AND I DELETED IT BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO LOOK AT IT STUPID MOD NOT DOING JOB!"
*bans for a day for making rude comments to the reported user and needing a day to cool down*

That could happen.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Just for the record Cenere... like I said in another thread somewhere (or maybe in this one and it got deleted, don't know...), I too had someone in the beginning that commented rudely on my profile, but being a real 'newbie' (fresh on AG for a week or 2) at that point, I saw it, shrugged, deleted it and moved on... later on, after a few months or so, I reported something else to you and you took care of it (thanx!) immediately...

But what I understand from your last post entry, we should always report everything to a mod, no matter how small and miniscule the offence or mishab is?

Not too provide you with loads of extra work here, but... is this really what you mean then?
Or should we ignore the little things and only report the big ones to you guys?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Nah, I generally believe it is easier to point and laugh, and then ignore the user. Replying to someone that is most likely going to piss you off if the conversation continues will often result in both users being warned/banned, because one is flaming or trolling, and the other is controlled by his or her temper, which is just as bad.
But there are issues that should be reported. If you have a long fight with someone, it is often easier to ask a mod to help out, instead of fighting on, because no one wins by that.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Ok, now that clears some of the fog around the issue for me! =)

I also thought that the best reaction for such a 'minor mishab', is not react on it at all! This then likely being a result that the particular user didn't expect and therefor he/she leaves it at that.
Since there's no response to the action, it's not fun for him/her to continue with it... right?

Well... the only thing they would (both) gain would be APs! But that's not a reason to pick a fight with someone if you ask me! LOL

Thanx for the fresh perspective on this! =)

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Thanks Cenere, I was hoping that only the repeat spams, flames should be reported.
It's easy for me to ignore the obvious trolls since they post the most repeated subjects/topics. It does take self-control to refrain from counter-spamming and flaming.
It's a good job you Mods do because this is a worry-free forum zone.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

It's easy for me to ignore the obvious trolls since they post the most repeated subjects/topics.

Trolls don't usually make repeat threads. They are much more likely to create some explicit or other rule-breaking thread than a thread that has already been done. Most trolls aren't here to have a real discussion, and most of the topics that have been made were created to have a real discussion, so it's unlikely that an actual "troll" would repeat a thread.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Most trolls aren't here to have a real discussion, and most of the topics that have been made were created to have a real discussion, so it's unlikely that an actual "troll" would repeat a thread.

Well, you know Ernie, I may have the wrong definition of a troll in mind, here's mine:
Troll- a person who goads people into an argument to cause the responders to get in trouble, by getting them to post "off topic", vulgar, etc. comments.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

a troll is someone who posts vulgar comments to piss people off and/or to get attention. the topics they make never last long because they all get locked or deleted for being either inappropriate or just completely unneeded.

Showing 16-30 of 69