ForumsSupport ForumEvidence

69 19389
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Temp. addition to the wall'o'stick.

If you are going to complain about/report someone, make sure you have evidence of the mischief.
If someone spam your comments, DO NOT delete it. Report it, wait until a mod replies, then delete it.
If you need to make a mod aware of a thread, POST THE LINK ALONG with the complaint/comment.
And, most importantly... If you want something to be locked, or deleted... REPORT IT!!

Why?
In the first case: No evidence, nothing happened.
Second case: It is sometimes hard work to track down "That thread about kittens" when we don't know where it is, or even what it is called.
Third case: Because otherwise you spam with your "this should be locked", "this is stupid", "this is a repeat"... The last case at least if that is the only comment.

Just so you know.

• 69 Replies
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Thanks, FloydTC for clearing that up but now I don't know what to call the person I described?

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

I don't know what to call the person I described?

usually there is no category for people who repeat topics. if they spam by accident, they are usually a newer user who hasnt learned the rules. if they flame, they are usually just idiots with anger issues.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Well, you know Ernie, I may have the wrong definition of a troll in mind, here's mine:
Troll- a person who goads people into an argument to cause the responders to get in trouble, by getting them to post "off topic", vulgar, etc. comments.

Well, I thought Wajor was right! Trolls try and get people to troll and flame back (aka feeding the troll), and try and make the people get banned along with them (aka letting the troll win). The simple concept for you to win however is to just ignore like a good person

And if someone actually does that on your profile, save it, and go grab a mod to show it to them so they will clear up the mess you were involved in.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

Trolls try and get people to troll and flame back (aka feeding the troll), and try and make the people get banned along with them

she was half right, but as ernie stated, trolls never repeat threads.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

trolls never repeat threads.

ohh, I beg to differ. If it makes more anger out of another person, I would guarantee the troll would make another thread to do so, i.e. putting the same threads in different forums, making another account to repeat the process. Trolls can be unpredictable, you know. Not all the time, but you'd be surprised.
WexMajor82
WexMajor82
1,026 posts
Nomad

A good troll thread is usually one with a weird title, like:"I don't understand it." You go check it, and you find out that the thread is about telling how bad METAL is.
Metalheads aren't the most calm people around, so a flamewar starts.
If the title weren't so vague, all of us could tell that "METAL sucks" is a troll thread.
And this is only the first example that crossed my mind...

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

If it makes more anger out of another person, I would guarantee the troll would make another thread to do so, i.e. putting the same threads in different forums, making another account to repeat the process.

people dont really flame when that happens. they usually just redirect and laugh at the idiot who misplaced their thread, not knowing that they did it on purpose.

Trolls can be unpredictable, you know. Not all the time, but you'd be surprised.

if a troll is unpredictable all the time, its predictable.
MrAutomatic
MrAutomatic
296 posts
Nomad

all of us could tell that "METAL sucks" is a troll thread.

A "troll" can only be labeled as a "troll" if they "troll" around purposely. If they make a topic such as "metal sucks" and they truly believe metal sucks, and they are stating their opinion and not trying to aggravate people, they would not be called a troll, as they do not know the site rules and therefore don't know how to break them.
Yodadude53
Yodadude53
1,496 posts
Nomad

It seems everyone has a different definition of troll xD Most trolls I see usually try to pi** people off so yeah... definitely agree with you guys about that.

sonicheroes95
sonicheroes95
13,701 posts
Peasant

-sighs- exact same way with another site i will not name. but a mod comes and everyone thats spamming saids please don't mute me and the mod is like wtf.

TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

they do not know the site rules and therefore don't know how to break them.

Ignorance is not an excuse. It is the responsibility of posters on any forum to seek out the rules so that they know them before posting.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

Ignorance is not an excuse.

That is most definitely true. However, there's a difference between being ignorant and breaking the site rules on purpose. Newer, more ignorant users break rules unknowingly, which means they can't really be defined as "trolls".
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Well... if we're talking about 'Trolls' and how to deal with them, I'd say:

Ignorance is bliss...

For it defeats the Troll by starving it to defeat! =D
Peek
Peek
120 posts
Nomad

Heh, ignorance is never an excuse, unless you're Ernesto Miranda. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_v._Arizona)
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

I never knew there were so many different definitions of 'troll'. I think we can all agree that spamming and flaming is more easily defined.
I must admit to something I'm guilty of that I would appreciate a definition to. Whether or not I've started the thread, if it's a subject I like I'm guilty of posting on it multiple times a day, not to keep the momentum going but because it almost feels like a chat room. Is this wrong?

Showing 31-45 of 69