ForumsThe TavernBehaviour...

23 5172
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

On this site.
Yet another tl;dr OPs from me.

These forums are usually mentioned as one of the better among forums. We have good users, a small groups of mods and admins and a staff team that makes new games. Most spam is concentrated in the game comments, most flaming is concentrated in the profile comments and so on. Generally a good place to be IMO.
Therefore it saddens me when users feel the need to act up. Not speaking as a mod here.

A newbie makes a thread that has been made before, and possibly is still on the first page. Maybe it even is in the wrong section. The most common replies would be "this is in the wrong section", "this has been made before", "learn to read, this is a duplicate". If things goes wild enough, there will be a number of users making fun of the OP, and another number that posts "this should be locked" and "why isn't this locked yet?".
This happens once in a while, and more often than not, it is the veteran users that does the mocking. Even making fun of grammar and spelling, if they see the chance.
Those situations make me feel a slight dislike to the way some users feel worth more than others, and see no better action than try and scare off the newbies with their mean comments (often made for the lulz, apparently, though I see no lulz in "I counted 12 spelling errors in that! No wonder I can't understand you!!&quot.
It saddens me a bit that the role models of this forum does that, instead of simply explain the errors of the OP to the newbie. It might be hard work, but it most likely will pay off in the end.

http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/t/e/tealdeerplz.png Users with more experience and more time on AG likes playing with the newbies when they should be role models.

Same goes with stuff like the "/thread" or "this should be locked". There is hardly ever seen a report of those threads to the mods, and if a mod finds it themselves, they will facepalm at the amount of spam, where of half of it is "lock plz". If it is such an important thing that you have to express it in the thread, but you don't report it, then at least don't post in the darn thread. It is more often than not spam, because it hardly takes 7 words to say "This should be locked", "lock plz" "/thread" and other variants. Congratulations, you have just proven yourself to be as bad as what you want to get locked.
On the same note, people posting in threads that should be locked or even deleted, just to express their horror in what has been posted, along with users that rallies the horror on by telling the OP off... It doesn't seem like the healthiest of internet behaviours.

http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/t/e/tealdeerplz.png "Lockplz" is also spam, and not justified at any time.

This one will be the modly annoyance.
There is this thread in the suggestion section that kindly asks for people not to delete flames and spam on their profiles, because then we can't do anything about it. It takes the lock business up too, but more importantly, it asks for some common sense when you report issues. It is rather hard to do anything about someone, if you just make a report saying "This user spammed, do something." especially when we can find no spam. A little link to a thread where it has happened, or at least an explanation on why you think they spam would be nice.
Same goes with accusations on wrong doing from a mods side. We are here to take care of the site, so when someone says we are abusing our power, it would be nice to know why you think so. Why you think we take some liberties, and why you have to express this in public, especially in a thread unrelated to your issue.
After all, this is not politics. You can't just say something and then take it back without giving reason. It goes with the entire forum.
If you say something you didn't mean, then apologize and explain yourself. If you find out later on that you said something untrue, apologize and explain yourself. Simply avoiding the issue will make people look down on your and see you as an arrogant person.
And if you think you are in your right to say such things, then at least do something about it, instead of simply standing on your right to have an opinion.
http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/t/e/tealdeerplz.png Problems are best solved if you do something.

A last, more important thing: I know this is the internet, and that people could care less how they behave, because obviously, who cares. But it is quite important to behave in a forum like this, otherwise you can ruin the fun of others. This well behaving can be not spamming, not flaming and generally be helpful and openminded. But it also has to be respect towards others. Accusations and spreading lies because of bitter experience won't get you anywhere. Rather, showing respect will lead to respect being shown to you, especially a place like the internet. We don't get to know each other very well a place like this, and stuff is easily forgotten of you let it rest, but a good experience might get people to remember you (just as much as they will loathe you if you do nothing but scream and yell).
http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/t/e/tealdeerplz.png Respect and good behaviour will get you longer than screaming and yelling.

Superlong OP short: Good behaviour on the internet is important, especially since much of the common person's social life not rests on online interaction.

http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/t/e/tealdeerplz.png is copyrighted to the creator of the deviantart plz acount TealDeerplz.

• 23 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

seems like this should've ended in /rant

Stacey12345
Stacey12345
143 posts
Nomad

I find it very annoying when people tell other people to stop breaking the rules, but they mock them in the process. I feel that it just adds to the problem. when they do that, because even though they think that's the only way to get through to newbies, it more often than not, causes the newbie to get upset, and will lead to a flame war.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

it is the veteran users that does the mocking. Even making fun of grammar and spelling, if they see the chance.

If they do that, then they aren't veterans themselves. They like to be smart about things like this many times over. Maybe they see this happen too many times, maybe they are sick of redundant questions, I don't know, but it grinds my gears when I find them. It makes me want to start ranting off to them, but that would not be part of the topic X)

I find it very annoying when people tell other people to stop breaking the rules, but they mock them in the process. I feel that it just adds to the problem. when they do that, because even though they think that's the only way to get through to newbies, it more often than not, causes the newbie to get upset, and will lead to a flame war.

Not only is this hypocritical to the "veterans", but it also makes the new guys leave because they are being looked down upon for their unimportant mistakes. I would understand if the user tried to type English but the syntax and word process was ineligible, but small spelling mistakes when it clearly was a inaccurately-pressed button should not be tolerated or practiced by anyone.

@ "Lockplz" and "this is spam" and "learn to post" :

Ain't no way we're going to fully raise awareness about the folly of posting these on forums; we are just going to have to be epic role models about these sorts of things and have the inexperienced follow our leads. I find it dead hilarious though when a guy with thousands of posts do these. I often get curious as to the methods of how they got their high posts...

Cenere...why are their pictures of deer every paragraph..? If you copy/pasted the text, I don't think the images would be carried over...
chitown
chitown
1,615 posts
Farmer

I really don't like all the people who go and say to people that you can't do different things. That is what mods are for.

iamnotironman
iamnotironman
1,288 posts
Nomad

I dont get why people are posting not to do bad things(not you cenre)when they do bad things themselves.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Of course my post didn't work.

it is the veteran users that does the mocking. Even making fun of grammar and spelling, if they see the chance.

I sometimes mock, but I stay on topic also. Is that that bad? It seems the people with high-posts mock a lot.
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Cenere...why are their pictures of deer every paragraph..? If you copy/pasted the text, I don't think the images would be carried over...

I was wondering the same thing. I think it has something to do with whatever tl;dr means.
TRCKY
TRCKY
1 posts
Nomad

tl;dr means too long; did not read. which doesn't exactly make sense when used the way cenere uses it, however, I believe when he says that, it means he is summarizing what he said, or is going to say.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I was wondering the same thing. I think it has something to do with whatever tl;dr means.

It's because of the Deviant Art user TealDeerPlz, but still. Cenere HAD to have put those images there every paragraph, unless the images carried over while he was copying the text. Just a small eye twitch, mind you

I sometimes mock, but I stay on topic also. Is that that bad? It seems the people with high-posts mock a lot.

But why mock at all? Is there a reason to, besides for teh lulz? Which is not a justified enough reason?
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Will reply to things later, only one thing to note first:

Because I am concluding stuff in each paragraph, and since most users goes tl;dr when they see OPs of the length of just the first paragraph, I decided to put them there to draw at least some attention to the actual points of the text.
Also, I typed it all out this morning. No copy/pasting.

tl;dr means too long; did not read. which doesn't exactly make sense when used the way cenere uses it, however, I believe when he says that, it means he is summarizing what he said, or is going to say.

As mentioned, most users I know would not read more than the first paragraph max, if not just conclude there is a wall of text and go back. So it is really tl;dr for many. Which is why most of my threads gets less than 20 replies.
Also, yeah, summarizing my points, and as mentioned, to draw attention to said points.

It's because of the Deviant Art user TealDeerPlz, but still. Cenere HAD to have put those images there every paragraph, unless the images carried over while he was copying the text. Just a small eye twitch, mind you

I hardly believe it would be able to be carried over, since it would need the copied text to have visible bbcode. dA uses for plz-accounts and html for general coding, so it wouldn't work from there.
And they do draw attention, don't they?
At least better than http://a.deviantart.com/avatars/s/p/speedycatplz.gifhttp://a.deviantart.com/avatars/s/p/speedycatplz2.gifhttp://a.deviantart.com/avatars/s/p/speedycatplz3.gif or http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/f/r/frownyfaceplz.png or something? Right?
Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

This should be a sticky. Minor users such as myself will never really take it seriously as a normal thread.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Sometimes some things don't come out like they're supposed to.
Veteran users sometimes do this because they just care about the AP. I have experience ;P

Seriously, just teach the newbies that they need to contact a mod with a link to the thread if it really is trouble...

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

This should be a sticky. Minor users such as myself will never really take it seriously as a normal thread.

compared with minor users who seemingly don't see stickies? :x
ComradeWolf
ComradeWolf
358 posts
Nomad

I have a box full of balloons with pictures of llama's stidcking out their tongues, and a huge crate of confetti, with a dead clown inside, who died of Foot fungus getting into his repsiratory system. (I actually don't but hey it got your attention.)

One thing that needs to be noted, is that in certain conditions, we have arrogant people who act supreme and know ti all towards other's, and this is among both the "veterans" And the newbies. People who beleive they are superior in their idea, which hoenst makes me want to rip out their itnestinal tract, and make them swallow it, then pull their foot through their mouth and let them choke on it.

I am glad you have expressed the point to be open minded. Or at least respectful of a opinion. Sadly, I do not see that in the forums. But, I don't think it's the mods fault. Often it isn't. What I would love, is that we really have some common sense in practical use, and utilize it in our responseso n a thread, in that way we can better communicate among each other, and see things in a new light.

Also, if you are pathetic enough to not read a whole response for what it is, and assume what the person is talking about, sure, it's a bore sometimes, but you cannot honestly know a topic until you have read of what has gone before.

In that way, perhaps we can understand the meaning of what we have even read, and gone on without blurting out our answer on a half read answer to the previous post. I think this way we'll also prevent flame wars, and pointless arguments that just lead to ourselves clawing our eyebalsl out in shame.

I am glad to cotnribute to the thread, and I just hoped I have not given any of you a migraine, but then again... I may change my mind about that.

Now then. To prevent the mis use of something I hereby say that... on the cotnrary to this subject, even though we have forums to help newbies... who said they are honestly going to look in them, as I was when I first joined, I honestly never posted in them, as it made me feel like I branded myself as a Newbie, and prohibited myself. Even though this is probably not the case, I think we should just give some hints and tips on the threads that they post in, because honestly, we were all a newbie once. It's hard to find direction if your blind. So, give them a little hand. Don't be a jerk and totally dismay them and bump them off the forums. We have potential in everyone. Just on how much potential, andi f it's explotaible, is on whaty the person personally does. So, mabye our community may grow bigger. And we will have armed our new comrades with some intelligence of the sitatuion, of our crazyness and typical epci insanity we have let ourselves to be known for. And now my hands are cramped, so I will shut up for the moment, so my hands stop moaning like a zombie and die normally, so I can revive them later with a few barbs and tangled nets
trapped in my hands when im out on the trawler.

So, hasta luego

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Oh mai, wall of replies...

seems like this should've ended in /rant

I was actually quite close to doing that. I rant a lot, especially when I am in that duuuuurrrr mode. Or sleepy.

I really don't like all the people who go and say to people that you can't do different things. That is what mods are for.

Not only is this hypocritical to the "veterans", but it also makes the new guys leave because they are being looked down upon for their unimportant mistakes. I would understand if the user tried to type English but the syntax and word process was ineligible, but small spelling mistakes when it clearly was a inaccurately-pressed button should not be tolerated or practiced by anyone.

Well, I do believe people should be allowed to try and correct errors on the behaviour of other users, but it has to be done in a way that doesn't end up looking like you are either scolding the user, or annoyed with him/her.
As for the spelling errors, I am itchy about people who "wrte lk thes", but that doesn't mean I will go laugh at them, and tell them to get off the internet and back to school. English is not my first language, so some of the grammar is still not going well for me, so as long as I make mistakes, I can't really tell other people that they should wake up and learn to spell.

If they do that, then they aren't veterans themselves.

Regular, then. Though I have seen it done by people who have been on this site for longer than me (doesn't say a lot).

They like to be smart about things like this many times over. Maybe they see this happen too many times, maybe they are sick of redundant questions, I don't know, but it grinds my gears when I find them. It makes me want to start ranting off to them, but that would not be part of the topic X)

Well, if they are sick of those questions, they shouldn't reply at all then. Just ignore it. If it is an important question a mod will most likely answer it anyway, and perhaps better than anyone else (seeing that many users have a habit of replying to the same question over and over and over again, even though it has been answered four pages ago).

Ain't no way we're going to fully raise awareness about the folly of posting these on forums; we are just going to have to be epic role models about these sorts of things and have the inexperienced follow our leads.

Agreed.

I find it dead hilarious though when a guy with thousands of posts do these. I often get curious as to the methods of how they got their high posts...

I once had the hunch that some of the spam is due to people misunderstanding the rules. Because while less than 7 words is considered spam, there are times where a shorter reply might be legit. Not very often, though. Usually, it is like "Am I allowed to use other people's reviews as my own?" "No."

I dont get why people are posting not to do bad things(not you cenre)when they do bad things themselves.

Well, I wish they didn't have to > >... Also, please, call me Cen.

It is actually bad. Newbies don't know better, a bit like the fanatic Christian kids that come with some less than smart comments that hurt both their cause and the image of Christianity. I know many likes to bring them down for the sake of it.....

Sometimes some things don't come out like they're supposed to.
Veteran users sometimes do this because they just care about the AP. I have experience ;P

Oh yes.

Seriously, just teach the newbies that they need to contact a mod with a link to the thread if it really is trouble...

And what about all the regulars that doesn't think of it either?

we have arrogant people who act supreme and know ti all towards other's, and this is among both the "veterans"

Yeah. It comes with a few things. Fame, points... Getting mod attention. *shakes head*

I am glad you have expressed the point to be open minded. Or at least respectful of a opinion. (and rest too)

In our first semester we were taught that we have to be openminded because we are academics. I have carried that lesson ever since, though it was just a reminder.
I know a lot of people turns down others quicker than the speed of sound, for science or otherwise, and it annoys me a bit, because at least the people yelling about science should know not to turn the other side down, but be openminded about the ideas, whatever it might be.
Being openminded and showing respect to others is things you have to be good at, both on the internet and in real life. Sadly, it is a dying skill.

Also, if you are pathetic enough to not read a whole response for what it is, and assume what the person is talking about, sure, it's a bore sometimes, but you cannot honestly know a topic until you have read of what has gone before.

One of my other threads had the title "Your fave pet." The thread wasn't about pets but about the behaviour of people who doesn't read the OP, and just answers the title (which is why you shouldn't put your question in the title). 2/3 of the people who replied was talking about their pet.

I am glad to cotnribute to the thread, and I just hoped I have not given any of you a migraine, but then again... I may change my mind about that.

Sliiight headache here.

And we will have armed our new comrades with some intelligence of the sitatuion, of our crazyness and typical epci insanity we have let ourselves to be known for.

WE PASS ON THE INSANITY!!!
We all know you have to be crazy and weird to be a mod, after all.

And I think I had another point to discuss, but I have forgotten what it was....
Showing 1-15 of 23