ForumsArt, Music, and Writing[Necro] Nothing on Book Writing?! :o

153 57555
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I noticed things on poetry and art. BUT NOT BOOKS?!?!?!?! What is society coming to?! Well then. If there are any short stories or anything you wanna put on here, POST IT. If there is an actual BOOK like a few hundred pages, go to inkpop.com and post it there. Here you can also pop a few book ideas around and share it with whoever actually decides to read and it and or comment. Alright! Ta-Ta For Now! - Mitsuki/ MoonFairy

• 153 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

oh haha I passed bio with an A for the year and a near perfect score on the SOL thank you.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Well I have a 99 in it and i am taking it now! and I passed it last quarter with a 120! we got 5 extra points added on for every restroom pass we didnt use and there were 5 passes. I had a 95 originally so NUH. Idk how, cause I sleep in there every day and it is an IB class XD

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

oh you're IB? You're gonna have fun the next 3 years I used the easy way out, i'm only doing IB history.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

This should probably be taken to profile comments now, because it is now off-topic. AS in, completely off-topic. More than the usual AMW off-topic, hahaha.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Only the last 7 or so page what if start getting back on topic AKA Moon talk about your book!

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I have a diff thread about my book! You talk about YOUR book! geez.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

last, non topic post, Well I am just gonna drop it b4 they kick me out. I never do homework XP They will put me in Advanced Placement, which is the same class, jsut not as much homework.

BACK TO THE TOPIC.
Any Book Ideas anyone? Maybe I should write a short story on a kid that rides his bike in the street after his parents tell him not to, and he dies. That is a sad one.
OR A SERIAL KILLER BOOK. oooohhh I wanna do one of those! but idk how to form it... any help here?!

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

A serial killer book?
hmmm...
Okay here is a slightly original idea: instead of telling it from the perspective of the serial killer or a detective, why not tell the story from the victims' point of view?

The story wouldn't be told in chronological order. It would start out from the "main victim's" point of view. We'll call him Bob for now. He doesn't know he's going to be a victim... yet. At the beginning of the story, the killer should already have murdered quite of few people, enough to get noticed by a national newspaper.

Bob will be following the story. He doesn't see any pattern yet, but is highly interested in the article. Flesh this out into chapter one.

In chapter two, the perspective will switch to the most recent victim. It will be a pretty short chapter, but will give some clues as to the killer's motives and stuff.

Chapter three, back to bob.

Four, short chapter with the next to last victim, and so on.

In other words, all of the odd chapters feature bob as he unravels the case, and discovers that he will be the next victim.

The even chapters go back in time, starting with the most recent victim and ending with the first.

Cool no?

Of course, you shouldn't make it obvious to the reader what is happening right away.

And the serial killer's pattern should have something to do with the pattern of the book itself.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Yes, it's an interesting idea, but harder to pull off than it seems. The plot seems to be a very common one in TV crime shows because it is a very effective premise that establishes both time and the protagonist's own actions as drivers in one swoop. The narrative is much trickier to pull off, as you will have to find a way to make the execution more compelling than if you simply went forward in the first place: you're effectively inverting the tension and on paper this makes me wonder why one would bother attempting it in the first place other than a novelty. The breaking up of the progression will probably disorient the reader, who may give up if they don't immediately get what's going on or want to find out more.

For an example of a good narrative using conflicting and differing perspectives, Rashomon is the classic example. More recently, the film Hero does a pretty good job of it as well.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Erm. Maybe. I was thinking about having the killer as a schizophrenic ( i hope i spelled that right) and OCD. liek modt of them lol. but he will start by killing random people. Enough to get him noticed. then he will kill who ever is on his trail after that. and Bob wouls have to die if he is my main character lol.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Wouldn't it be better to make him psychotic instead? Schizophrenic paranoia seems to be rather odd for someone who kills people, at least to me.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

That would work alot better XD I'll try that one!

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Yeah, I know multiple perspectives can be kind of gimmicky. But the way I had it pictured in my mind, most of the book (like 3/4) would be from bob's perspective. And everything from his perspective would be chronological, which would make things much less confusing.

@ Moonfairy: why random killings? That seems to contradict the whole OCD thing. They tend to be exremely organized. Well, I guess it depends on the type of OCD, but still.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I've met people who're OCD about organization (as in they hate organization or any kind of strict form) so the killed could be OCD and the killings would seem random, while the killer is going after extremely organized people?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Hm, for an OCD person who is a serial killer, you should look into Hannibal Lecter from Silence of the Lambs.

Schizophrenic paranoia seems to be rather odd for someone who kills people

On a serial, organised basis, yes. However I will mention that if the paranoid delusions are directed at a person, then homicide is not an unlikely outcome if the patient is distressed enough. Given that the paranoid delusions may be directed at any person whatsoever, if undetected, a schizophrenic patient who does resort to homicide as a response to their paranoia may take on the appearance of being a serial killer.

Other symptoms of schizophrenia, particularly auditory hallucinations that direct people to commit homicide, are another pathway.
Showing 91-105 of 153