ForumsArt, Music, and Writing[Necro] Nothing on Book Writing?! :o

153 57480
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I noticed things on poetry and art. BUT NOT BOOKS?!?!?!?! What is society coming to?! Well then. If there are any short stories or anything you wanna put on here, POST IT. If there is an actual BOOK like a few hundred pages, go to inkpop.com and post it there. Here you can also pop a few book ideas around and share it with whoever actually decides to read and it and or comment. Alright! Ta-Ta For Now! - Mitsuki/ MoonFairy

• 153 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

then homicide is not an unlikely outcome if the patient is distressed enough.

...to quote a patient I interviewed: "I thought everybody was plotting to take my life. I saw my dad talking to the taxi driver, and I thought I could read their lips. My father was asking the taxi driver to kill me once I got in the car. So I thought, well, I had better kill him before he kills me."

Less unfortunately this time, the patient's distress caused him to turn on himself and he slashed his wrists in the middle of an airport, which is still a bad outcome but slightly better than stabbing somebody else.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Erm, jeezus. What excatly do you do strop?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I'm a medical student, hopefully graduating as a doctor this year. I did a stint in a psychiatric ward last year, covering a range of services, including the acute adult psych ward (fun place to be). The patient I mentioned above had features of a severe anxiety disorder but on the basis of his psychotic behaviour may have been diagnosed with schizophrenia- mainly because of the longstanding nature of his symptoms (this was his umpteenth admission to the psych ward).

Right now I'm doing paediatrics. Compared to psychiatry, it's a ridiculously happy specialty.

On that note, this means that I really struggle to read any story with dodgy medicine in it. A friend of mine sent me a draft of something which was supposed to be really tragic, but couldn't make up her mind about how the character was supposed to die. First he came down with "sepsis", then it became a long, drawn out "cancer" death, and I just got terribly confused.

On the plus side, I actually think this helps me write more convincingly, especially understanding how people react to things.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

...I guess this means we can't jumble a bunch of illnesses together anymore...

I know what you mean though, I'm taking anatomy this year, and now that I know what kind of thing can be fatal, fights scenes are so much easier.

Quick fact: Did you know a hard enough hit to the fourth cervical vertebrae can paralyze a person for life?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Yes. It's most susceptible to dislocation + fracture and is likely to sever the spinal cord.

In... I'm not sure if it was PNG, the recommended course of action for women is to carry a nail file, so that in event of being mugged, they should stab the assailant in the loin. Severing a renal artery will result in death within three minutes, is much easier to reach than the aorta, and much harder to compress than a superficial artery.

OH NO IT'S OFFTOPIC AND I SHOULD BE FINISHING THE WOM.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

SHAME STROP SHAME. And you are supposed to be an example! But I Kinda just use cancer for a sad story type thing. Anyone ever read the Night World Series? The first one, the chicks name was Poppy, and she had cancer and she was in love with this vampire, but she didnt know he was, and she had to 'die' and he turned her into a vampire and had a happy ending. It was really cool. You should ALL read it. there are 3 books, and each one has 3 stories in it, and they all somehow tie together. It is really cool.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

If it has vampire, human, and love in the same sentence I'm not reading it, call me biased. SO to answer your question... No I haven't read it.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Geezus Kyo. It isn't just that. There are 3 books with 3 stories in them each! They are not ALL about love. Most of them are about fighting though... But they are still good.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

*grin* I'll take your word for it, I;m still not reading them.

Has anyone read the Belgariad and the Malloreon I just became obsessed with these two series. They're written by David and Leah Eddings sadly both of them have passed away now but still the books they wrote were amazing in my opinion.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I'll look them up! And I AM calling you biased. Close minded little martial art poet! XP

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I can't be close minded and poetic, at least not if I'm still me...

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Well.... it made sense when I was reading it in my head. Somehow you can be! but I will not argue on that point.
How about listing your favorite books? I'm trying to get back to the topic ~hinthintwinkwinknudgenudge~

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Has anyone read the Belgariad and the Malloreon I just became obsessed with these two series.

Yes, for exceedingly light reading, I found them quite entertaining until I realised that the "Will of the Word" system was almost a blank slate limited only by one's imagination. While that had its appeal, I kinda wish it was explored more thoroughly because after a while I lost interest due to not being convinced of its substance.

For example, when Garion was feeling grumpy and set off his own local thunderstorm to blow off some steam, Pol comes back two weeks or something later and blasts him for almost causing an ice age across half the world. If the focus of the series were on the depth of consequence, then it would have been that much more interesting, but as it were, I felt that lots of interesting things were glossed over in favour of your usual romping good-vs-evil epic along with transformation, lots of bashing and stabbing stuff etc.
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

*twitch*

All of the books about vampire love have only appeared because of Twilight...which is kinda sad. Because Twilight is fail.

Vampires + Love doesn't exist...

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

the "Will of the Word" system was almost a blank slate limited only by one's imagination

not necessarily because after a certain point, they were exhausted as for the blank slate theory that was the way eddings intended it to be... I recently read one of his books that he used to create the history behind the belgariad, and in it he talks about how many versions of it were scrapped and what not. The thing with the storm was begarath not pol and it was because he was trying to stop a war between the mimbrates and the asturians
Showing 106-120 of 153