ForumsArt, Music, and Writing[Necro] Nothing on Book Writing?! :o

153 57575
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I noticed things on poetry and art. BUT NOT BOOKS?!?!?!?! What is society coming to?! Well then. If there are any short stories or anything you wanna put on here, POST IT. If there is an actual BOOK like a few hundred pages, go to inkpop.com and post it there. Here you can also pop a few book ideas around and share it with whoever actually decides to read and it and or comment. Alright! Ta-Ta For Now! - Mitsuki/ MoonFairy

• 153 Replies
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Man... now I wanna read Strop's novel even more. I might also like to give KR's novel a read, now that I think about it...

I worked on my NaNo novel a bit after November, but... I kinda want to do something else. However, I am presently working on my 2008 NaNo attempt (though I failed miserably during November). The problem is that it's not going to be a novel anymore, so that's not really that relevant.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

A poll if you will: If I were to start a short-story/essay writing contest how many people would care to participate?

*I would need a judge who can critique well.

What exactly is NaNo?

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

NaNo is just a site kind of like fanfiction. I am on both XD And Yeah I would participate in that contest! I could judge lol. And I REALLY WANNA READ STROPS BOOK. Along with Kyo, I was reading Anne Rice, Charels Dickens and Edgar Allen Poe in the 4rd grade XD Also, Strops audience wouldn't revolve around an age group... Just people interested in futuristic political violence. XD I am one of them :P

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

TL;DR version: Genetically-engineered mutants. Espionage. Global politics. War. Global environmental conundrums. Space colonialism. Vigilantes fighting for truth and justice. More war. That's what this novel has.

I still don't know why this isn't a graphic novel. I mean, seriously.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

TL;DR version: Genetically-engineered mutants. Espionage. Global politics. War. Global environmental conundrums. Space colonialism. Vigilantes fighting for truth and justice. More war. That's what this novel has.

Sooo . . . Orlestat is thrust into a position of importance in this conflict, right? Or is he cast off to the side like the pathetically nonhuman creature the ignorant masses presume him to be?

That's one thing I dun liek about book-writing. You feel forced to either make the main character crushingly important or crushingly irrelevant. That and tumors were why I couldn't complete NaNoWriMo this year >_<
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Nobodys into them, or the writers arn't currently here.

Nicho and Jess(?) are both MIA, and all the others just sorta died. The only one that is going on is WoM, and I dont know if that really counts at a story...

And in a personal note, I started to write a series, but it died from a lack of interest.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I read Lord of the Rings when I was 12 i think...my librarian used to give me all of the new books to read before they went on the shelves. One thing I find interesting is this:

To improve our writing, we read. To improve our reading, we write.

This is so true, as I found that now I pay a lot more attention to the way the book is written as such and yeah. Plus, I was a reader as a child, and now I do well in English...

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I have seen that alot of people are actually interested in book writing. Isn't that much obvious? Whoever wants to stay will stay, and whoever gets bored of writing, is on my hit list. > XD And @Knockout, give it another try!
@Maverick, U also give it another try!
@ ryan, That is going as the quote of the week XD

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

LOL see this is why people don't make threads, no one takes part lol.

@Ryan ha my librarian still does that...well its more like I go into her office and steal the books On a side not awesome quote did you come up with it?

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

You are lucky you have libraries. The closest one is 30 minutes away by car T-T and my bike is broken. Our school library doesn't have ANY fictional books. I looked it up. for cereal.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Also you still haven't shared this 'chai' story with us. hm?

And I don't plan to >

I'm guessing it is the last Snowden scene... I could be wrong. I can't really think of anything that "violent" in Catch-22.

Oh, I'm referring to the novel, since we're talking about books. As for movies...disturbing isn't so much in the amount or the graphic nature of violence. It's in the implications and the telling, which is something a lot of films don't get these days. Sampson getting chopped in half was just... bizarre. And tragically, I've seen similar on Youtube.

In Chapter 39, there is a short scene where Yossarian crosses the courtyard on the way to tell Aarfy that the police are going to arrest him for murdering Mikaela? I cannot write the content of the scene here. But it's very near the end, and that scene is going to haunt me until the end of my life. It portrays a kind of despair-driven madness in a community torn to shreds, and in some kind of cathartic, self-flagellating pursuit, I would actually like to be able to emulate this in the novel I'm writing.

Maybe but you're forgetting we're all different types of people

The original phrase which I replied to contained "alot of", as opposed to "most" or even "all". Most 13-17 year olds would probably read what I'm writing and think "action!" along the lines of a Tom Clancy novel. The plot does resemble a Tom Clancy novel, actually. But while I certainly wouldn't exclude teens (what right have I to?), my real target audience would be the age brackets above that, because in my experience it is those groups who more typically think along the thematic lines that I wish to explore. If a young teen is reading up topics like Malthusianism, anthropology and game theory, all the more power to them!
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I was talking about the book as well; I have never even seen the movie.

In Chapter 39, there is a short scene where Yossarian crosses the courtyard on the way to tell Aarfy that the police are going to arrest him for murdering Mikaela

Oh... that. Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. I didn't think that was the scene you were refering to, because Keller kind of mitigated the despair by adding some comedy to the scene. Whereas the Snowden scenes (specifically chapter 41, where the complete scene is revealed) were probably the only parts in the book that did not contain any jokes. The hopelessness was amplified by the lack of humor; it was just pure tragedy.

Though I guess different people have different definitions of what is disturbing.

Your book sounds exactly like the type of thing I am interested in. It has a a lot of oppurtunity for originality. From what you have said, seems like it will have a kind of "Forever War" tone, but more bizarre (in a good way). Very cool. Sci-Fi is a great vessel for philosophy as it has a built in capacity for metaphors.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I've never even heard of catch 22, so I'm wondering is it worth a read?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Kyouzou: it's a sublime mixture of madness and absurdity, then it just gets downright twisted and depressing. But if you like anti-heroes, it's worth it.

I didn't think that was the scene you were refering to, because Keller kind of mitigated the despair by adding some comedy to the scene

The parts around it, generally yes. But just that one very brief description about stepping on teeth and whatnot... also I'm in my final year of medicine so I know exactly how to interpret the various trauma described throughout the book, and I've trained in areas where such are common. I found the part where Yossarian gets arrested for being AWOL far funnier than that one paragraph, because that one paragraph pretty much distills the fundamental basis for child abuse into one horrific incident, which is then played out in thousands upon thousands of interations simultaeneously around the world.

This is why I consider that passage the most disturbing thing in the book: because it reflects a tangible reality not considered by most.

On the other hand part of my training involves accepting that there will be times I'll feel like Yossarian trying to comfort the dying Snowden. I've already been to attempted resuscitations that have failed- newborn babies and elderly alike. Perhaps that's why I find that part to be less disturbing despite its significance to the novel.

It will have a kind of "Forever War" tone, but more bizarre (in a good way). Very cool. Sci-Fi is a great vessel for philosophy as it has a built in capacity for metaphors.

I haven't read the book itself so I had to read up about it. As far as I can tell, there are certainly thematic and plot similarities, but it will be fundamentally slightly different from Forever War in that while I did initially include the effects of time-dilation and FTL travel in my original work, after reconceptualising the novel the plot became a lot more compact both geographically and chronologically. I'm focusing a lot less on the sci-fi aspects, and focusing on the conflict between the values that each group of characters stands for. Most of the major players in the cast are driven, they have strong motives and many of them also have strong convictions which aren't exactly compatible with each other, and that's what drives the conflicts. I don't really take any position on military conflict except probably to say that it's a tool, it's inevitable in the face of competing interests, and therefore it just is... and then I ask exactly what good the humanitarian ideals of peace and justice serve.

Ultimately though you're right: the setting is a great vessel for philosophy, and fiction in general is often to way to go to ask really unpleasant questions, such as hypothesising about the decline and doom of humanity, bwahahahahahahaha.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

If a young teen is reading up topics like Malthusianism, anthropology and game theory, all the more power to them!

All right!
Showing 61-75 of 153