ForumsArt, Music, and Writing[Necro] Nothing on Book Writing?! :o

153 57574
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I noticed things on poetry and art. BUT NOT BOOKS?!?!?!?! What is society coming to?! Well then. If there are any short stories or anything you wanna put on here, POST IT. If there is an actual BOOK like a few hundred pages, go to inkpop.com and post it there. Here you can also pop a few book ideas around and share it with whoever actually decides to read and it and or comment. Alright! Ta-Ta For Now! - Mitsuki/ MoonFairy

• 153 Replies
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Coz I'm taken. =P

Mhm. Riiiiiiight.

Well, ~keeping to the topic~ what is your story,50,000 word mess book thing about?
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Well, ~keeping to the topic~ what is your story,50,000 word mess book thing about?

Art, Music and Writing Forums = Offtopicness

Anyway, my 50,000 word mess is about a boy who lives in the forest. He has some magical animal friends who are very magical. And then one dies. And a girl appears from the forest. And then stuff happens.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

wow. amazing. I like the part where stuff happens. That was very detailed. yep.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I know right? There's like extremely random things...like the girl gets stabbed...

Its epic. Trust me!

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

You have two sisters ;D

Anyway.
Last time there was a thing like a short story contest (you prolly already know that, but I am just trying to make my post more legit besides the first sentence) it went down the drain because none apparently is interested in writing more than they do when writing poetry. It went well for a round or two, then the judge went down a hole, then more crap, then even more crap, then it died.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

(you prolly already know that, but I am just trying to make my post more legit besides the first sentence)

Somehow I don't think that helps it Cen...

Next thing you know we'll have Strop asking if she has a pet horse...
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Assuming that somebody was asking me about my mess (or were they?), it's about... uhh... a wandering birdman who, uh... spends his life trying to avoid humans but gets tossed into an world plunging into a rapidly evolving global conflict... and then it just gets complicated.

YAY, TIME TO REVISE MY VISION!

A better way to introduce my novel is to say it's set about 200 years in the future. Earth's resources are said to be critically short (environmental themes), and the global community is desperately trying to control population and ship as many people as they can to developing interplanetary colonies (space colonialism!). Unfortunately the system is woefully inadequate and each country can't cooperate enough to organise a more effective solution.

Currently an integrated system that "calculates" the worth of a person's contribution and therefore whether they have the right to live on Earth is being rolled out (themes of security, globalisation), but this faces stiff resistance from many groups around the world. Some cities seem like a utopian dream whereas elsewhere are ruins and chaos. Meanwhile, one president is attempting to solve this problem once and for all by developing a massive starship cruiser that will facilitate the transport of people such that interplanetary travel might actually become an attractive option, and not just one they force convicts and deadbeats to go on. But he too faces a lot of resistance from the other countries who either doubt the project or doubt his integrity in handling the project... and rightfully so, too.

Add to this that the world is recovering from a nasty, long, complicated war that seemingly centered around military technology, namely the use of biological weapons and organisms known as "hybrids". This is where aforementioned birdman comes in. With a human intelligence but augmented physical attributes that make him essentially a flying killing machine, his very existence is regarded as a threat to people, and they are accustomed to a longstanding mutual animosity. Naturally, there are few of his kind left, for they've been largely exterminated. Yet there are others who would believe that there are certain omissions in the histories of these hybrids that must be exposed, for it is through exposing this that the real nature of the unfolding history of humanity becomes apparent, and only then can the real solutions to humanity's problems be found.

The birdman, in the course of his travels, attracts the attention of the president, paranoid that his improper activities are being observed. Thus he has him apprehended and held in detention, but this starts an underground race to seize a rare opportunity to find the key to the secrets behind the governments that lock the truth away. It's a race that will trigger the unravelling of every tension and breaking point on the world stage.

Will truth prevail? What good is truth in a world preoccupied with its imminent collapse? What happens to the human ideals of rights and justice in the face of the harsh reality of insufficiency? Even if the birdman survives to the end and the remaining hybrids reach some kind of reconciliation with humans, will there be any place left for them on Earth?

I've called the novel Anthropometry because while much of the story emphasises the physical differences between the birdman protagonist and his human friends and foes (i.e. a reference to anthropometry being the practice of literally measuring man), what the story hopes to convey is that through observing how people deal with these tough overarching questions, can one reach a true measure of man.

TL;DR version: Genetically-engineered mutants. Espionage. Global politics. War. Global environmental conundrums. Space colonialism. Vigilantes fighting for truth and justice. More war. That's what this novel has.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I want to know the very second that book hits the stores Strop because it sounds amazing. However that's all i can say with the summary, once I see it in print or an excerpt I can decide what I truly think of it.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Oooooo Strop...that sounds a lot more complex than mine. It sounds like you actually....*GASP*....planned it before writing...

Oh, I also forgot to mention that some people in my book are 'Gifted' and can do special things....its more of a younger readers book I guess...

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I don't know Ryan depending on how Strop writes the book it could be a book that alot of teenagers (13-17)are fans off. And Ryan care to elaborate but from what saw about the girl being stabbed there's a good chance you might not wanna market it to younger audiences.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Just coz she gets stabbed doesn't mean its bloody and stuff...and the trees make her better within a day.

Strop's book will be too technical for teens I believe...

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I don't know, I'm a teen and I really want to read it, some of the politics behind the story may go over my head though... it's not the bloodiness that's the problem, it's the violence. Many parents don't want their kids reading things like that.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Ooh, potential reader! Always a plus. My target audience would be anybody seeking to make sense of humanity as a whole. Prerequisite knowledge would be the history of colonialism i.e. if you paid attention during primary school and most of high school you should be okay. To really draw the thematic parallels most strongly, you would have to know about the history of Australia.

it could be a book that alot of teenagers (13-17)are fans off.

Probably not, but I might surprise myself!

Strop's book will be too technical for teens I believe...

Probably so, but I'm trying to keep at least the narrative accessible!

I'm also trying very hard not to go over the top with the violence, but there may be one or two scenes that require a reaction. I use a certain scene from Catch-22 as my ultimate yardstick of truly disturbing. Some of them were bloody, some of them were absurd and some of them were really quite funny. But one of them stands out above all as just plain disturbing.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Care to share what this scene is? Also you still haven't shared this 'chai' story with us. hm?

[/quote]Probably not, but I might surprise myself![quote]

Maybe but you're forgetting we're all different types of people, I was reading books by John Grisham, Tom Clancy etc. when I was ten. Other were reading those 5 page picture books lol.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Care to share what this scene is?

I'm guessing it is the last Snowden scene... I could be wrong. I can't really think of anything that "violent" in Catch-22.

The most disturbing scene I can think of is when McWatt tries to buzz the beach, but instead chops Sampson in half, and then flies into the mountain. That was... tragic.
But it wasn't really that explicit in a Saw type of way.

Anyway, just wanted to say I would be highly interested in participating if someone were to start a short story or essay contest. Writing is the only art form in which I am at least somewhat competent.
Showing 46-60 of 153