ForumsWEPRHow are you helping the enviroment?

68 11586
squidlidink
squidlidink
479 posts
Farmer

finally using that old rusted recycling bin?

or maybe not drinking out of plastic bottles?

Living in a cave?

Going on strike?

Are you extreme or not?

• 68 Replies
opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

i dont care i mean i recycle and everything but thats it. i dont do much to help the enviroment.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

If you buy a Prius you are destroying the environment!!!

The stuff that is put in the batteries for that car is toxic!!!

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

i use the poland spring bottles with 30% less plastic, And I recycle all my cans and bottles, walk everywhere, try to carpool, and thats pretty much it

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Even successful recycling entails the production of waste. So one has to minimise their waste. Also, the question is what is your input to the cause. It doesn't matter if you feel nobody else is doing anything, that doesn't change the facts about what you're doing.

To this end I reuse plastic bags, turn off the lights when they're not in use, print less stuff and when I do, doublesided, would use energy savers if the unit I'm living in would allow it (it's too old T_T) I also don't use air-conditioning much, if at all, and drive at in a responsible, economical manner (...most of the time).

...Also, I am reducing my personal greenhouse gas emissions by eating less beans.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Nice, Strop. Nice. You keep staying away from the beans. I can see it now "Climate Saved due to stopping production of beans! 50% Greenhoues Gas emmisions DEFEATED!!"

I turn off the lights, too, I sometimes doubleside if I feel like it, have no idea what energy savers are though.

Also, What the heck? The Battery-Power inside the prius is not toxic. It uses metal-like materials to send power to the car with some ruttering engine stuff. Its not toxic caz its a battery, buddy. Else, we'd all be dead with the amount of batterys we use.

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
324 posts
Peasant

the prossec it takes to trasport the meat and the cattle takes a toll on the enviroment.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

ROFL.. I'm sorry, but, what are you? Nuts? :P

Such a process is used for other things. We make tracks, railroads, and other things to transport whatever we want.

I could say the process to trasnport your clothing takes a toll on the enviorment. And truthfully, you use a bunch of land for cotton, [bye bye land] and then of course the tracks and gas wasted hurts the enviorment.

The toll on the enviorment is because we need land for transport and gas to move it. I'm sure meat does the same thing.

So, there is no toll except the toll that is already there that has nothing to do with meat.

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Umm, nothing, i pick up a plastic bottle every now and then cuz its like moldy and it looks wierd, but thats about it.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Before this gets out of hand, let's get a few things straight.

We are always taking some kind of toll on the environment, simply by virtue of living- if you want to define this in terms of entropy then go right ahead- in order to keep a being in a more organised state one must increase chaos from the surroundings.

So the above discussion, at least the direction it has taken, is slightly trivial. Indeed, the process it takes to run the meat industry takes a toll on the environment. Indeed, so too does every other industrial process.

But to use the latter as a means of completely dismissing the former is silly. So too, is claiming that the former works exclusively of the latter without substantiation. I know there's berth for some constructive discussion and some validity in both posts, but knowing both your stances from other threads, I feel the need to nudge it in the right direction :P

The question one should be asking here is how significant is the toll on the environment from each of these processes? Can we call it wasteful? And regardless of what process it is, can we improve it so that it is less so?

ps. anything that uses a concentration of metal ions is toxic should the contents/waste products leach into the surrounding environment. Car batteries, especially the lead-acid batteries in conventional cars, are toxic for this reason. I'm not so sure for the Prius, but I do need to say that as a green alternative, the Prius really is a token gesture xD

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Oh yeah, that was addressed to Armed and Skipper, not ya, Divine.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I don't really care.

I just recycle...

But other than that i take like 20 minute showers, i don't use eco friendly bulbs, i adore red meat, i only drink out of plastic bottles and don't refill them, i adore red meat.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

I don't do much, though I wish I did more. When I move out of my parent's house and I have more sway over what goes on, I'm sure I will. I do refill water bottles, since we have purified tap water, and I shut off the water as much as possible. I hate watching people wash dishes or brush their teeth with the water constantly running.

I try to buy organic too, and recycle what I can... it's a good way to make money too, haha!

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Well what I do is take 5 minute showers because I don't feel like being in there too much.

And uhh...well my TV is off right now.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

How does buying organic help the enviroment?

If it does, then my family is. Because we try to buy lots of Organic things (mainly because it's better for you), it is hard to cut down on the other things :P

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I spray my aerosol can at the sky saying "Daddy likes it HOT!"

You have no idea how hard i laughed at that. I mean really, it made my week...month...year...life...past AND previous lives to ^.^

And i agree with you 100%
Showing 16-30 of 68